Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-14-2018, 11:23 PM   #1
Alfdawg

Drives: 2014 camaro ss
Help!!!! Charging battery for stored camaro

Ok so I put my camaro in a storage unit for the winter. My question is how can I charge my battery. I cant get to my battery because the way my amp is installed it would be a lot to remove it. And also the storage unit has no electrical outlets. Is there a way I can charge it thru the cigarette lighter? Or is there some type of portable charger I can use and wait while it charge?
Alfdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:21 AM   #2
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
There is the positive terminal under the hood. If you can fish it down underneath the car you can use that and just a ground to charge it. And a portable charger you can use but have to recharge it every so often
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
You can connect a battery tender to the terminals under the hood. They are identified in the good old Owners Manual. There is no need to access the battery itself.

But didn't you just say there's no outlet in your storage unit? In that case, you have no choice but to remove the battery and take it home. Just be aware that if you do that, your OnStar emergency battery will discharge and need to be replaced, which I believe in nontrivial.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Just do nothing but disconnect the negative cable and I bet it starts right up in the Spring.
I stored my SS the first 2 years for 3 months and did nothing. All my antique cars that I
stored over the Winters, same thing. I would charge the batteries in the Spring and never
a problem. That's what dealers do with their new cars that sit outside on their lots sometimes
for months.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
yzinger

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - IOM - LS3
I put orange muffin away with a rope from trunk release to inside car. Do nothing with the battery until spring. Without a charge it starts right up - this is in Eastern Canada. Brrrr...
yzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:08 PM   #6
myold88

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzinger View Post
I put orange muffin away with a rope from trunk release to inside car. Do nothing with the battery until spring. Without a charge it starts right up - this is in Eastern Canada. Brrrr...
Two that think alike. I always get a kick out of the guys that remove the battery, as if the battery knows where it is. lol
Old 12-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #7
Alfdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
There is the positive terminal under the hood. If you can fish it down underneath the car you can use that and just a ground to charge it. And a portable charger you can use but have to recharge it every so often
Any suggestions for a portable charger?
Old 12-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #8
Alfdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Just do nothing but disconnect the negative cable and I bet it starts right up in the Spring.
I stored my SS the first 2 years for 3 months and did nothing. All my antique cars that I
stored over the Winters, same thing. I would charge the batteries in the Spring and never
a problem. That's what dealers do with their new cars that sit outside on their lots sometimes
for months.
That's my problem it's going to be too much to get to the battery because the way my amplifier is installed. But are you also saying I can just leave the battery hooked up and not worrying about it dying? It's only gone be in storage for 3 months
Old 12-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #9
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Does your storage unit have a light in the ceiling?
When I used to store my car in a storage locker with no AC outlet, all I did was to buy a simple light bulb socket adapter that includes an ac socket. Unscrew the light bulb, screw in the adapter (sold at all home centers), screw the light bulb back in, and use the new ac socket to plug my battery tender into.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #10
Alfdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzinger View Post
So I can just leave the battery hooked up and not worry about it dying? It's only to be in storage for 3 months.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:17 AM   #11
myold88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfdawg View Post
So I can just leave the battery hooked up and not worry about it dying? It's only to be in storage for 3 months.
Yes
Old 12-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #12
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
You can trickle charge the battery thru the auxillery post in the engine (red cap). Make sure that you connect the red charging cable to the post and the ground cable to a metal object nearby.

I didn't read or get all of your information from the post. If you don't have access to power you can either use a solar battery tender or worse case scenario start the car every two weeks. I would definitely go with a battery tender if your situation permits it.

Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
You can trickle charge the battery thru the auxillery post in the engine (red cap). Make sure that you connect the red charging cable to the post and the ground cable to a metal object nearby.

I didn't read or get all of your information from the post. If you don't have access to power you can either use a solar battery tender or worse case scenario start the car every two weeks. I would definitely go with a battery tender if your situation permits it.

Good luck.
Most places you can't get into a storage place to start your car in the winter. [Which is a bad thing to do in the first place] All that does is warm the engine up and build moisture. Which is bad and
produces rust.

I stored my car for 5 yrs. for 6 months never started it and had no problems. And I know a lot of people who have done the same thing.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:55 AM   #14
ColdfuzionTN

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Dont forget some bait traps by the tires to keep the pests out of the wiring.
ColdfuzionTN is offline   Reply With Quote