Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 08-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #1
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Road Course and Auto X Cam

Looking for recommendations for a good RC/AX Cam.
Ill lay out my plans
Long tube Headers, HP Oil Pump, C5R chain, Bronze bushing trunnion upgrade, 3 Bolt cam, and eventually E85(tune and sensor).
Maybe a GPI Rod Mod IM not sure yet.

What I have on hand already in the garage:
Long Tube headers with a Z28 dual mode exhaust
ZL1 FPCM, Injectors and Pump (wanna change the pump to a higher flow like Deatshwerks 300c 340LsPH but they have something new coming out soon)
Z28 Diff
Monster clutch set up for a LS3, billet throw out bearing, bleeder, clutch line, remote reservoir with a automatic brake mater cylinder.
LS2 Dampener
Deleted oil cooler kit with 25 row cooler (installed)
168 T Stat (installed)
Z28 CAI (installed)
Bo White S2 TB (installed) thinking a S3 before its over with

I know somethings aren't as important as others like the oil pump and chain according to some but its my piece of mind more than anything. Looking to get into mid to high 4s to the wheels on power.
The big reason is the Gen6s are so fast I wanna be able to keep up a little.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
naikaidriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Have you ever done an AutoX or Track Day?

Scott
Diablo T1000 with Phastek custom tune, K&N Intake, Hurst Short-Throw Shifter, Flowmaster, Outlaw II Exhaust, BMR 1" Lowering Springs, BMR 3-way Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, BMR End Links and Reinforcement Brackets, BMR Trailing Arms, ZL1 wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 Tires, Z28-style Rear Spoiler, Hawk Plus Brake Pads, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #3
olblue75

No never, don't even know what it means really guy??
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
(---)

Last edited by Synner; 10-22-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:15 AM   #5
olblue75

Even on E85 for the fuel pump? An only reason I'm thinking oil pump is the motor has 60k on and figure it would be good insurance.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #6
Synner

(.) (.)

Last edited by Synner; 10-22-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #7
naikaidriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
No never, don't even know what it means really guy??
The reason I am asking is because it sounds like you're trying to be faster around an autox and road course with horsepower and that's just not going to work.

5th gens are plenty fast to turn fast lap times but they handle like shit unless you have the 1LE. Also an experienced driver in a bone-stock SS will always beat the noob with a modded car.

Scott
Diablo T1000 with Phastek custom tune, K&N Intake, Hurst Short-Throw Shifter, Flowmaster, Outlaw II Exhaust, BMR 1" Lowering Springs, BMR 3-way Adjustable Anti-Roll Bars, BMR End Links and Reinforcement Brackets, BMR Trailing Arms, ZL1 wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 Tires, Z28-style Rear Spoiler, Hawk Plus Brake Pads, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid
Old 08-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #8
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
The reason I am asking is because it sounds like you're trying to be faster around an autox and road course with horsepower and that's just not going to work.

5th gens are plenty fast to turn fast lap times but they handle like shit unless you have the 1LE. Also an experienced driver in a bone-stock SS will always beat the noob with a modded car.

Scott

True that. Best mod is always driver mods followed by good autox tires. Plain and simple.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #9
olblue75

1LE

Quote:

Scott
I've gotten almost everything 1LE or Z28 in the suspension and I know I need to step up my game on the tires just looking for little more power nothing over the top. An apologize for my come back but your reply did seem a bit condescending.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #10
Synner

Driver mod is nice until a 650hp gutted vette that weighs almost 1k less and has massive aero walks you like you're standing still using a horrible line. Then you go home and spend more money on your obese camaro. It's a vicious cycle.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #11
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Autocross and road are two different animals. I do autocross. Cam I have is a custom stage one that got me another 25 hp and 20 tq and 15 hp more with the tune. Like stock till 2500 then go’s to 6300 and red lines at 7000. Good bottom and mid range tq, which is where these fat cats need the power to get moving coming off autocross turns and onto straights, if the course has any real straight s of any length. Fortunately our courses do here in SoCal.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
naikaidriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Driver mod is nice until a 650hp gutted vette that weighs almost 1k less and has massive aero walks you like you're standing still using a horrible line. Then you go home and spend more money on your obese camaro. It's a vicious cycle.
Those are the same idiots that take their car home in a parts bin rather than driving it home.

Besides, what's more frustrating? Being beaten by a car with 10s of thousands of dollars more into it than you do? Or spending 10s of thousands of dollars modding your car thinking you're so awesome and getting humiliated by someone in a mostly stock Camaro with 150 less hp than you have?

Learn to drive your car first. Its safer for you, your car and the people around you. Speed is a byproduct.

Scott
Old 08-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
I've gotten almost everything 1LE or Z28 in the suspension and I know I need to step up my game on the tires
Tires and wheels. Z/28 wheel sizes > 1LE wheel sizes. You really need to outdo the newer car in this respect, not merely keep pace with it.

Norm
Old 08-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #14
Synner

Quote:
Those are the same idiots that take their car home in a parts bin rather than driving it home.

Besides, what's more frustrating? Being beaten by a car with 10s of thousands of dollars more into it than you do? Or spending 10s of thousands of dollars modding your car thinking you're so awesome and getting humiliated by someone in a mostly stock Camaro with 150 less hp than you have?

Learn to drive your car first. Its safer for you, your car and the people around you. Speed is a byproduct.

Scott
A fast car that goes off the line to pass a slow car on the line is an idiot. I'm learning so much about camshafts and racing.