Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #15
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
Its not the scoop 'ramming' air in to make more power-its the letting if cooler air (outside) as in comparing it to the very hot air that it intakes under the hood. The cooler,the better.

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #16
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Give us the AFR you know 11.5 to 1 on the pulls or 10.5 to 1 If we don't have that you don't know what the car runs.
And for the guys that want a CAI but do not want to tune it for the warranty well need that info.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #17
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleDs View Post
Its not the scoop 'ramming' air in to make more power-its the letting if cooler air (outside) as in comparing it to the very hot air that it intakes under the hood. The cooler,the better.
Have you looked at where the air comes from in a OEM car no mods?, it is from the front of the car there is a small opining in the side, Where the radiator is that lets air in to the air box, So you see it gets cool air as dos the ram air that you think is a myth, Here is a pic that tells you how air gos to the air box if any of you ever work on your car you will find that the air in front of the radiator is how you get your air now and that all that was done was vararam tuned there unit to work on the camaro's.
Attached Images

Last edited by 2SSRS@Gen5diy; 10-19-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: forgot the pic.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #18
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Have you looked at where the air comes from in a OEM car no mods?, it is from the front of the car there is a small opining in the side, Where the radiator is that lets air in to the air box, So you see it gets cool air as dos the ram air that you think is a myth, Here is a pic that tells you how air gos to the air box if any of you ever work on your car you will find that the air in front of the radiator is how you get your air now and that all that was done was vararam tuned there unit to work on the camaro's.
No no no, I was not in refernce to modern cars, as the post said Pontiacs, which came to mind the older firebirds,then the Grabber(RoadRunners) then the cowl on the Chevelle, days with stovepipe exhaust manifolds and such. Sorry for the confusion.

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #19
dragonZ28

Drives: 2001 T/A, 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 Z06
Wink

This topic is becoming somewhat misleading by the people who are currently making intakes for this car. Let me lay down some facts from both sides of the aisle:

Is "ram air" a myth? Well, yes - the term itself is misleading as it implies that the engine is receiving some sort of forced induction. No amount of air from a scoop will ever overcome natural engine vaccuum, ergo, not forced induction. Under boost with a supercharger or turbocharger, there is no longer engine vaccuum which makes more power due to more air and less resistance on the downstroke.

Does the "Ram Air" term as we know it have its benefits? Absolutely. Ram air as we know it does in fact work as an extremely efficient cold air intake - more so than any "in the engine bay" intake kit.

So, if you're looking for forced induction, ram air will not help you. Ram air does not ram air into your cylinders. Ram air does harness cool air.

I will lay down this challenge right here and now - Our intake kit will have an optional scoop. If you want to call this ram air, go ahead. We'll call it an "air scoop". It will harness and retain the coldest possible air your engine will breathe on any given day. We are open to being compared to any company's engine bay intake kit once ours is finished. We will be glad to compare two cold, hard stats:

1 - Intake air temperature
2 - Track results

It seems to me that many of the intake making companies who are taking the easy way out are quick to bash anything that goes above and beyond what they themselves have built. Truth is, most of their kits are the same with slight differences. Believe me - I could easily make a sealed airbox unit within the engine bay, and I promise it would make my project 10 times easier, but we don't want to make the same thing everyone else is.

I promise that once we have our piece completed, we will show results and the results won't lie. Don't be fooled by companies telling you you can't get any benefits from what they call "ram air".

The term "Ram Air" is just a fancy term used to sell products. But, as we all know, air scoops do have purpose and function. Harnessed air makes cooler air when taken from the right locations.

Last edited by dragonZ28; 10-19-2009 at 08:41 PM.
dragonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #20
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Ops i for got the pics, Look you can call it a by any name you want, for me "The big dog" or what you want but the Vararam will put out a lot more then any of the unit that was tested this weekend, I can tell you that the unit that was sent to me will be close to the no tune unit.
As my unit was at WOT a AFR of 12+ to 1 and the outer units sent was not.

This one was with the hood open the last one that i dont have a pic of was the one with the most HP.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #21
mr_desmo
Banned

Drives: beated up old mini austin
Quote:
I am the member that posted that 40 hp, And i called them today to push tem to get all the info out, And there working on all of it.
like they did for the last 6 months!
mr_desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #22
2SSRS@Gen5diy

I and you have not had this car for 6 months! and i only have the car for 4 1/2 months!, And how long did you have to sit after you ordered your car ? it was 8 1/2 months for me to get me my car and that was VIN # 9103359 and how did the car come out? better than i hoped, and the Vararam will be the same.

Guys as it stands now you will get a good unit and a good price, so hold on or don't its up to you, If it was up to me you will know a lot more info that i can not tell you.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #23
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Quote:
Ops i for got the pics, Look you can call it a by any name you want, for me "The big dog" or what you want but the Vararam will put out a lot more then any of the unit that was tested this weekend, I can tell you that the unit that was sent to me will be close to the no tune unit.
As my unit was at WOT a AFR of 12+ to 1 and the outer units sent was not.

This one was with the hood open the last one that i dont have a pic of was the one with the most HP.
Nobody said that the Vararam wouldn't make more power. It may. It's just the mis-application of the term ram air, that's contested.

Also, what do you mean "with the hood open" ? Not how you test these things.

We are all pretty clear that you got a prototype and drank the cool-aid. That's fine. Marketing works. Ever seen a Tornado? Sold millions. Never shown to work by anybody but the manufacturer & there dealers.

Your arguments would be more convincing with a better presentation too. Work on that typing and spelling. Your posts are very hard to read.

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #24
2SSRS@Gen5diy

As you can read the member dos not believe that you make HP with the hood closed on the dyno.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=101
And this one
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=111
And this one to.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=112
Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #25
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
2SSRS has helped with LOTS of information, hundreds on this site have expressed the desire to preorder the vararam, we all make spelling mistakes and he has explained his problems, we should all thank 2SSRS for all his input, and sit and waittttttttttttttttt for vararam to post the info.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #26
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Quote:
As you can read the member dos not believe that you make HP with the hood closed on the dyno.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=101
And this one
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=111
And this one to.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=112
Not sure if those support you or counter you. They are also opinions. I'd look to the dyno operators out there for the answer.

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #27
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Now that is funny as the dyno operators all tinke i was nuts till we did the last pull with the hood closed.

And like i said what is the AFM on all this units?
If you are running at WOT at 10 to 1 that is a lot of HP that you did not get if you got 11 to 1 that is a lot better but not good if you get 12+ to 1 at WOT you are getting there, So for all you out there find the CAI that gets you to 12.5 to1 or more, but not a lot more to get the most HP, And this is for a no tune unit as if you do a tune the tuner can get you there.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #28
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
I thought Ram-air was used to "ram air" in to the engine bay? How on Earth could it do anything other than that? No where near a debate to me.