Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #57
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Here's some interesting information on SeaFoaming over on LS1tech

Quote:
Ok....as you pour SeaFoam into the brake booster line it immediately gets sucked up by the rear two runners....the front 6 cylinders get pretty much nothing. So you are cleaning the two rear cylinders. Also, fluid is heavy and gets sucked right through the engine and has no time to sit and soak inside the engine....it does nothing. Allot of that SeaFoam that gets poured into the brake booster line pools in the intake also and sits in the rear of the intake.

The smoke show is mainly that SeaFoam getting sucked up when the engine is started later on. I'd be willing to bet that if someone does a Brake Booster Line SeaFoam job, a whole can, then removes their intake BEFORE starting the engine, they will pour allot of SeaFoam onto the ground. Then reinstall it and start the engine......no smoke show. Fluids of any kind are not meant to go through an intake where AIR should be going through.
If you pour it too fast, the rear two cylinders almost stall the engine because they're getting drowned out by the liquid.

You also run the risk of getting too much SeaFoam into a cylinder and hydra-locking the engine...BYE-BYE engine.

They make products that do this job properly....Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner (MCCC) and GM has one also. They are FOAM.......so when you spray them into the FORWARD PCV vacuum port this foam travels with the incoming air from the TB and travels to ALL 8 cylinders, (((unlike using the brake booster line and the SeaFoam having to fight against that flow of incoming air))). Which is doesn't, it gets sucked up by the rear two cylinders only. This foam also expands as it sits, so it bloats itself throughout the intake, runners, heads and cylinders...touching all of the inside surfaces to eat away the build-up of crap inside. Fluids can't stick to walls and ceilings, they fall to the bottom from gravity. This foam sits and eats.

I did two full cans of SeaFoam in one week....until I popped my head up and said, "what the hell am I doing, this is a joke." The next week I did one can of MCCC, and it smoked more than both SeaFoam treatments combined.

SeaFoam is GREAT for the gas and to clean out the crankcase during an oil change.

I have been using SeaFoam for almost 14 years in my 1998 T/A. Every 3-4 months a put a full can into 1/8-1/4 of a tank of gas to clean my entire fuel system, from gas tank to filter to lines to injectors to valves. I personally don't use it for oil changes, I use GUNK engine flush at every oil change.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...ur-car-55.html
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #58
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Here's some interesting information on SeaFoaming over on LS1tech

http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...ur-car-55.html
Doesn't apply to our engines. And Seafoam is a petroleum product which doesn't hydro lock anything. I also disagree with him as he states that nothing should be shot through the IM. Giggle juice and Meth has been delivered like this maybe before he was born lol. Also why do all automakers with no catch can send oil mixed with air and condensation into the IM? Also when you choke out the engine the last drops do stay sitting. Like I said to DarkSS you can also spray in or pour seafoam when you take the IM off. Or just unscrew the tip plate and pour some in each port while engine is off.

This isn't aimed at you Chris. Referring to the LS1 Op.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III
Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #59
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't_C_Me View Post
Doesn't apply to our engines. And Seafoam is a petroleum product which doesn't hydro lock anything. I also disagree with him as he states that nothing should be shot through the IM. Giggle juice and Meth has been delivered like this maybe before he was born lol. Also why do all automakers with no catch can send oil mixed with air and condensation into the IM? Also when you choke out the engine the last drops do stay sitting. Like I said to DarkSS you can also spray in or pour seafoam when you take the IM off. Or just unscrew the tip plate and pour some in each port while engine is off.

This isn't aimed at you Chris. Referring to the LS1 Op.

Oh I know it isn't. I'm just on the fence about everything and think it's good information to read. Plus I'm bored at work

I've heard a lot of good things about MCCC (Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner) and here is a guide on it.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...-your-car.html

Once again just more information and it makes for a good read

Oh and I'm not saying seafoam wont work. Obviously it has worked for you.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #60
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Oh I know it isn't. I'm just on the fence about everything and think it's good information to read. Plus I'm bored at work

I've heard a lot of good things about MCCC (Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner) and here is a guide on it.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-ma...-your-car.html

Once again just more information and it makes for a good read

Oh and I'm not saying seafoam wont work. Obviously it has worked for you.
I've heard of MCCC but I haven't seen it anywhere. But I also don't look for it lol. I may give it a go and look for it. And add it to this thread on post #2 when I get my hands on some.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #61
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Have to go to a Dodge dealer, thus why you have never seen it lol. I'll test it out soon, I'm due for an oil change. Just put in the sea foam in the fuel tank..

The MCCC may have to wait, having a lot of work done to my car and it might be this weekend.... lol. Depends whenever Jamie (J-Rod) has time to do it all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #62
gotexas25
Camaroholic

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Thanks cant_see_me for the awesome tutorial! I did the whole process yesterday and nearly smoked out my whole neighborhood. Car seems to idle much smoother now too
gotexas25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #63
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotexas25 View Post
Thanks cant_see_me for the awesome tutorial! I did the whole process yesterday and nearly smoked out my whole neighborhood. Car seems to idle much smoother now too
Old 05-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #64
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2016 Camaro #182300 | 2SS | HBM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo
Regarding using Gunk - I've used it in the past but was told by a mechanic that it cleans too well and may dry out the seals; especially on older cars.

My Journals:
Erick's Mistress - Violet 2016 2SS
#182300 | 2SS | HBM |
Erick’s Mistress - 2010 2LT
#8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM | Litho #165 |
efpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #65
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

for some good knowledge!!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #66
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
Mine is done. Thank you for the write up. The pics made it much easier and I am not mechanically inclined.

Just a suggestion.....warn the wife what you are doing so she does not come running out of the house wondering what is wrong with the car and why it smells funny.

I opted for IM cleaning option two. Did a little smoking while spraying in the deep creep. Once I took off down the road, smoked real bad for about a half block and by another block it was all clear. Next time I may try the IM cleaning option one to see if it makes a difference.

Will do the crankcase just before I have to get the oil changed.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #67
Forte

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS CGM W/ Black Stripes
Sorry, just to clarify before I start this project. So I change the oil and THEN do the seafoam into the booster/IM? Don't have to worry about an oil change after that right?
Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:05 PM   #68
mhog

Drives: 2010 V6 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte View Post
Sorry, just to clarify before I start this project. So I change the oil and THEN do the seafoam into the booster/IM? Don't have to worry about an oil change after that right?
I would do the oil change after everything.
mhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #69
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Don't put in the brake booster! It enters the right side of the IM and does not get to the left side ports. The can even says only to ingest the seafoam where it will be distributed evenly or damage could occur. First time I did it ai used the brake booster and heard a big metal clunk.Go through the throttle body.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #70
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroC-17 View Post
Don't put in the brake booster! It enters the right side of the IM and does not get to the left side ports. The can even says only to ingest the seafoam where it will be distributed evenly or damage could occur. First time I did it ai used the brake booster and heard a big metal clunk.Go through the throttle body.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
The loud metal sound you hear was the engine stalling and the pistons stopping. Its always been said that the booster line doesn't clean both sides. This is why the IM part is important as it helps clean it. What I have told some before is to take off the top plate on the IM and spray or pour into the cylinders individually. Best way to go about it.