Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
LiquidDragon

Drives: 2013 1LT RS
My custom dash ABL using EL wire

wanted to see if I could build my own ABL dash cheaper then ordering it from someone else. This is the result of my own build. the EL wire was $20 off ebay and i had to get an inverter $20 from radio shack and got a fuse tap which was $7 from my local friendly auto parts store. so total to do the dash ended up being just under $50. I hot glued the EL wire to the back of the dash pieces and the EL wire itself created enough gap to allow the light to come out evenly across the entire top of the dash. I am very happy with the results that i got from the EL wire. I will post links to the parts that i used later if anyone is interested in taking on this project themselves.

LiquidDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Aceman1120

Drives: Orange Metallic RS
Very Nice!! One of the Cleanest and Neatest jobs I've seen for and ABL DIY...congrats
Old 01-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Looks awesome!
But I've read the EL wire has a short life?
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
LiquidDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
Looks awesome!
But I've read the EL wire has a short life?

I've used EL wire in the past in custom computers that i have built and never had one go out on me. the caps in the inverters go bad if overloaded but never had an isue with the wire going bad. Still have three going strong after 10 years and only had one inverter go bad on me and that was yesterday when i wired one up in the car that i thought was a 12v inverter but ended up being a 5v so the cap in that one went pop. as you can see i replaced the inverter with a proper 12v inverter and the wire is still working just fine.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
LiquidDragon

This was my first custom computer with an EL wire mod. i used EL wire to shine through the Plexiglas to light up the custom etching that was in it. worked great and i still have the EL wire that was used in it. that was from 10 years ago.

here is the same one used to back light the water block on my computer

Old 01-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
SSTG

That's cool. I'm tempted...
Old 01-19-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidDragon View Post
wanted to see if I could build my own ABL dash cheaper then ordering it from someone else. This is the result of my own build. the EL wire was $20 off ebay and i had to get an inverter $20 from radio shack and got a fuse tap which was $7 from my local friendly auto parts store. so total to do the dash ended up being just under $50. I hot glued the EL wire to the back of the dash pieces and the EL wire itself created enough gap to allow the light to come out evenly across the entire top of the dash. I am very happy with the results that i got from the EL wire. I will post links to the parts that i used later if anyone is interested in taking on this project themselves.

Nice job!!!

I'm looking at my dash ABL options as well, subscribed!

My main concern, is for the dash ABL intensity, to be the exact same as the door panels. I don't want one to be brighter than the other.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
SSTG

Quote:
Do you have any pics of the process? Mainly were to install the wire, I've wanted to do this for a long time, but hated the idea of a gap left behind.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
LiquidDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Nice job!!!

I'm looking at my dash ABL options as well, subscribed!

My main concern, is for the dash ABL intensity, to be the exact same as the door panels. I don't want one to be brighter than the other.
My panels were the cloth ones that i took the cloth off of and painted silver. wanted to pick up that set from you but it was just over what my wife was letting me spend so i had to modify mine to work. tried to talk he into letting me spend the $235 but i was getting too much resistance from her. I think your panels would turn out better with the EL wire mod because of the clear edges.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #10
Camaro Dude

Quote:
My panels were the cloth ones that i took the cloth off of and painted silver. wanted to pick up that set from you but it was just over what my wife was letting me spend so i had to modify mine to work. tried to talk he into letting me spend the $235 but i was getting too much resistance from her. I think your panels would turn out better with the EL wire mod because of the clear edges.
Yeah man, I'm sorry that I didn't accept your $200 shipped offer, but you didn't accept my $215 final offer either! Man, your wife drives a hard bargain!
Old 01-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
LiquidDragon

Quote:
Yeah man, I'm sorry that I didn't accept your $200 shipped offer, but you didn't accept my $215 final offer either! Man, your wife drives a hard bargain!
I didnt get the $215 offer from you. the last PM's i got was $235 and then a PM with your pay pal info and that was it. I would have done the $215 right away because she had me at a limit of $220.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
LiquidDragon

here is the gap and the EL wire hot glued to the back of the panel.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #13
Camaro Dude

Quote:
I didnt get the $215 offer from you. the last PM's i got was $235 and then a PM with your pay pal info and that was it. I would have done the $215 right away because she had me at a limit of $220.
Damn...you are right, I just checked my "sent" PM messages. Unlike what I did to an other member, I forgot to send you the updated price
Old 01-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
LiquidDragon

Quote:
Damn...you are right, I just checked my "sent" PM messages. Unlike what I did to an other member, I forgot to send you the updated price
I was trying my best to talk her up to $235 but with our move to Boston coming up soon it was hard enough to get her to agree to the $220 that i talked her into. She told me that if you came back with $220 or less i could do it and that was it so i just let it go so i didn't piss her off too much.