Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
Low speed popping sound

Has anybody else experienced a low speed pop (only way I know to explain it) sound coming from under the car? I typically only here it right before coming to a complete stop, maybe when the tranny shifts back to 1.

I can also feel/hear it in low speed traffic if Im accelerating slowing 12mph'ish.

All my senses are telling me driveshaft but I have absolutely no experience with this. I crawled under a few times and all the bolts/nuts appear to be securely fastened. It's a 2011 L99.

Let's see if I can post this to the correct forum this time...
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
chuckie669

Does anyone have information on the makeup of our 2 piece driveshaft? I crawled under this weekend and spinning the tires to transition start stop makes a ktink type sound I believe around the middle of the driveshaft behind the heat shield.

I didn't have the ability to drop the exhaust and everything to troubleshoot further. I could not find any reference to problems here searching camaro5 though so maybe that sound is normal?
Old 03-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
Does anyone have information on the makeup of our 2 piece driveshaft? I crawled under this weekend and spinning the tires to transition start stop makes a ktink type sound I believe around the middle of the driveshaft behind the heat shield.

I didn't have the ability to drop the exhaust and everything to troubleshoot further. I could not find any reference to problems here searching camaro5 though so maybe that sound is normal?
Got your PM. Sorry for the delay, I'm not on as much as I used to be.

Mine turned out to be the hanger bearing separating from the shaft in the middle. I put a new driveshaft in. Speedster sent me his stock takeoff but they aren't that expensive. It was easier than hassling with having a new one pressed in at a machine shop.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Here is a video that will show you how the bearing is pressed on. Sorry for the shakiness, a lot of my vids are like that. hahaha

Old 03-27-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
PQ
Booooosted.

Also, here is what my noise sounded like with the car on and in gear and from underneath with my son turning the wheels by hand.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #6
chuckie669

Thanks pq. that last vid sounds to be in worse shape than mine but I'm going to have to agree that all signs point to the center support bearing.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:28 PM   #7
PQ
Booooosted.