Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
ral2531

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Full size spare tire for 2012 2LT

Hi folks. I've just purchased a 2012 2LT with the RS/45th package and the 20" wheels. This is mainly for my daughter to drive, so I'd like to prepare a full-size spare tire to keep in the trunk (I realize it won't fit in the spare tire slot). I've read past threads stating that a front wheel/tire (20x8, 35mm offset, 245/45/R20) would work as a temporary replacement for the rear position (20x9, 40mm offset, 275/40/R20). I just wanted to confirm that this is possible, since I'm a little worried about the different offset values. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

It's great to be back in a Camaro forum. Ages ago I owned a '67 RS featuring a 327 engine and the covered headlights. Ironically, now I have another RS to give to the next generation.
ral2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
A 275/40/20 +40 offset tire/wheel assembly fits "around" a 245/45/20 +35 tire/wheel assembly - in other words, it sticks out farther on the outside and the inside - so yes, a factory front wheel/tire will fit in the rear. If you want to confirm for yourself you can simply jack up the car and swap wheels
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
ral2531

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
OK thanks KBPH. I'd thought about a trial swap, but was worried I might damage something just trying it, even at home. Also I'm concerned about driving with a front-onto-back spare for even short distances -- any harm that might cause?
ral2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Apart from looking weird, as long as you're not pushing the car hard (I'd basically treat the 245/45 in the rear as a donut like you otherwise would, except you don't have to worry about the ~50 mph speed limit) there's nothing to worry about. The factory tires/wheels are rated for well over the weight of the car so no worries there. Fitment up front is no problem either (for testing the fit if you so choose to) - many people run with factory rear wheels up front for a square 275/40 all around.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:42 AM   #5
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
Since I bought my 2012 SS new, I've kept a factory front rim and tire in my trunk at all times. The staggered sizes have the same diameter, so the front rim/tire can easily be used on the rear with no problems.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote