Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 03-31-2015, 01:21 PM   #15
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
See the reason I ask was there's 6 cars with the stock 6.2L engine running 10.30s to 10.80s on motor I am one of them. I run a heads and cam package and ran 10.73 3 weeks ago. Running 9s can be done, a few have done it. If you don't mind then the lq4 is your answer. I think you won't see what you want but it will take more beating though.
6 cars total,and amazing to push an ls3 that far. But you can only play Russian roulette for so long. The point isn't to build an LS3. The point is if a LQ4 engine is worth the build. Iron can withstand that much nitrous. By no means am I with deep pockets but I can throw a good amount on this build to see where this goes.
BlueN20Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:47 PM   #16
DarkCry956

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm on a supercharger and not nitrous but iron block is something I did for strength. I'm pushing 20psi on a 402. On the stock block I was at 15psi and running mid to low 10s and boom. I gambled and lost. If I would've gone with iron from the start I would've made some money back from the stock block. It's not for everyone so make sure you know your goals. My car is not fun anymore. It's just a fast car I could drive around town
DarkCry956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #17
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCry956 View Post
I'm on a supercharger and not nitrous but iron block is something I did for strength. I'm pushing 20psi on a 402. On the stock block I was at 15psi and running mid to low 10s and boom. I gambled and lost. If I would've gone with iron from the start I would've made some money back from the stock block. It's not for everyone so make sure you know your goals. My car is not fun anymore. It's just a fast car I could drive around town
How bad was the electronic part of the build,wiring,etc...and I'd love to supercharge it but idk the idea of a bang button just can't get out of my head.ill never forget my little v6 on nitrous would just be so much fun,plus can't beat the price.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:04 PM   #18
DarkCry956

The LY6 has everything pretty much the same as the ls3. The lq4 might be a bit different. I believe knock sensors and maybe other things change but I'm not entirely sure. Only thing different on my build was that the stock oil cooler is different for the ls3 and ly6. Wiring was the same and all I did was add a B&M oil cooler with a fan
Old 03-31-2015, 02:06 PM   #19
DarkCry956

Oh and I had to Tap the block to relocate the alternator back to the bottom driver side like stock. Did that with the motor already in the car. It's nothing complicated
Old 03-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #20
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post
6 cars total,and amazing to push an ls3 that far. But you can only play Russian roulette for so long. The point isn't to build an LS3. The point is if a LQ4 engine is worth the build. Iron can withstand that much nitrous. By no means am I with deep pockets but I can throw a good amount on this build to see where this goes.
Oh trust me I know what you mean, we use iron 5.3 and 6.0s out here throwing spraying left and right. Shit even 5.3 motors pushing 9s in spray. I like how you think I'm in the same shoes but I wanna work with what I have for now. The top 10sec NA car has been running 10s for 3years now and 10.30s is my new goal also and changing up things to get there this fall. I don't have deep pockets either but once it goes out hit my goal I'll be running $300 yunkyard 5.3 motors with spray
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:41 PM   #21
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCry956 View Post
The LY6 has everything pretty much the same as the ls3. The lq4 might be a bit different. I believe knock sensors and maybe other things change but I'm not entirely sure. Only thing different on my build was that the stock oil cooler is different for the ls3 and ly6. Wiring was the same and all I did was add a B&M oil cooler with a fan
Thanks for the info I knew it wasn't that bad but I'm gonna do some research on your LY6. If you don't mind me asking how much RWHP you pushing?
Old 03-31-2015, 04:46 PM   #22
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Oh trust me I know what you mean, we use iron 5.3 and 6.0s out here throwing spraying left and right. Shit even 5.3 motors pushing 9s in spray. I like how you think I'm in the same shoes but I wanna work with what I have for now. The top 10sec NA car has been running 10s for 3years now and 10.30s is my new goal also and changing up things to get there this fall. I don't have deep pockets either but once it goes out hit my goal I'll be running $300 yunkyard 5.3 motors with spray
I guess I'm just paranoid after seeing my dads LS1 blow up and the hood pop off.lmao its a amazing addiction we have and so many weapons of choice,this iron one is just my preference,congrats on running 10s all motor. I know that hasnt been easy,cheep or quick but I want to get this car lighter then anyone's ever been to,I'm gonna get the doors so light that they bend like rubber in the wind.im gonna push this car hard.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:43 PM   #23
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
@ OP, you stick or auto? What's the fastest you've ever run at the track in a car?
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:50 PM   #24
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
@ OP, you stick or auto? What's the fastest you've ever run at the track in a car?
Stick and been averaging 8.3-8.5 in that ball park in the 1/8th haven't done a 1/4th due to not have DR on.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #25
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Swap like this, you'd need to research whether the reluctor wheels in the shortblocks are similar, otherwise you might need to change something. There are other aspects that might not be compatible too but you'd need to research.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #26
ajax.

Drives: 12SS,12SRT8,14COPO,77Vette
Since I love drag race setups I'll chime in on this one.

If you've never driven a car down a full 1/4 under 10 seconds I highly recommend going to a drag racing school and getting proper certification and instruction on the handling in doing so. No point building a car right if you can't drive it. Since I've received my Super Stock license my confidence has gone up tremendously and I can tell you first hand rocking down the track in under 9 seconds is absolutely ridiculous and any slight mess ups will literally kill you. Short of getting launched off an aircraft carrier I see no comparison.

Newly adjusted NHRA rules at most tracks require a roll cage, drag chute if you trap over 150mph and an external shutoff if you plan on contending in under 10 seconds. Definitely compliment those among the many other safety requirements into your 9 second build.

It takes a lot to get full weight camaros/mustangs down the track in 9s, if you want to do it right just order a shit ton of COPO parts and make it yourself.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #27
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax. View Post
Since I love drag race setups I'll chime in on this one.

If you've never driven a car down a full 1/4 under 10 seconds I highly recommend going to a drag racing school and getting proper certification and instruction on the handling in doing so. No point building a car right if you can't drive it. Since I've received my Super Stock license my confidence has gone up tremendously and I can tell you first hand rocking down the track in under 9 seconds is absolutely ridiculous and any slight mess ups will literally kill you. Short of getting launched off an aircraft carrier I see no comparison.

Newly adjusted NHRA rules at most tracks require a roll cage, drag chute if you trap over 150mph and an external shutoff if you plan on contending in under 10 seconds. Definitely compliment those among the many other safety requirements into your 9 second build.

It takes a lot to get full weight camaros/mustangs down the track in 9s, if you want to do it right just order a shit ton of COPO parts and make it yourself.
I really appreciate the info and will take this to heart. I've spoken to a few shops in Miami about the swap,I'm getting quotes. That's why I plan on starting small getting it a approiate level for my skill and advance. I'd love to keep it stick and I know this tiny factor alone will take a few thousand launches to master. Majority of shops agree for 9 seconds goal iron would be the proper set up but it all depends factors outside my control. I'm gonna start sourcing some parts,maybe start a build thread. I'll keep everyone posted. I'm a big believer in pushing the envelope. That little V6 I had was eating nitrous for breakfast, so this car will probably see a two stage set up. And thank you highly for the info on the rules, I will be reading into that subject.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #28
ajax.

Drives: 12SS,12SRT8,14COPO,77Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post
I really appreciate the info and will take this to heart. I've spoken to a few shops in Miami about the swap,I'm getting quotes. That's why I plan on starting small getting it a approiate level for my skill and advance. I'd love to keep it stick and I know this tiny factor alone will take a few thousand launches to master. Majority of shops agree for 9 seconds goal iron would be the proper set up but it all depends factors outside my control. I'm gonna start sourcing some parts,maybe start a build thread. I'll keep everyone posted. I'm a big believer in pushing the envelope. That little V6 I had was eating nitrous for breakfast, so this car will probably see a two stage set up. And thank you highly for the info on the rules, I will be reading into that subject.
no problem! Best of luck.