Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
What's a good/best off the shelf cam for centrifugal blower

I've been searching and reading for couple of days now in my free time and I'm still stumped on what cam to go with for a stock bottom end ls3.

Most threads I've read really only discuss how n/a cam's worked with there centrifugals and usually break down to a back in forth argument that the cam are not ideal for the setup

I plan on using a vortech v3si kit or maybe even a ecs 1500 kit ,longtube 1 7/8" headers no cats and 2.5" cat back (Flowmaster super 10's)

I'm well aware of custom spec cam's from patG and btr,I don't want to get one spec'd. I want just a proven ls3(6.2L) off the shelf centri cam any recommendations from the guys that know would be appreciated
Old 12-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
modi66662

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS M/T
https://www.briantooleyracing.com/ca...e-jam-cam.html
modi66662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Jam Cam is good, but saying you want off the shelf is beyond silly. It takes 2-3 days to grind a cam. I had my custom pat G cam in less than a week.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
davidscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Jam Cam is good, but saying you want off the shelf is beyond silly. It takes 2-3 days to grind a cam. I had my custom pat G cam in less than a week.

Ya I guess it might seem silly to some but I just want something that is a sure thing and has many proven results. Who knows I might end up getting patG to hook me up.nothing is set in stone so far
Old 12-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
davidscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Thanks that's one looks promising from what I've found on it so far is 228/240 on 113lsa that seem right?
Old 12-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
Da2ss

Drives: Blueray metallic 2ss
Check out these
http://shop.gwatneyperformance.com/gpicams.aspx
Da2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:33 PM   #7
smokum

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
Brian tooled hands down the best to work with in my opinion. Great service and prices.
smokum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #8
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
Ya I guess it might seem silly to some but I just want something that is a sure thing and has many proven results. Who knows I might end up getting patG to hook me up.nothing is set in stone so far
"Proven results" What results...... max power, good drivability, lumpiest idle... smoothest idle ????

You haven't even mentioned if the car is auto or standard, stock stall or not, etc, and nobody asks.

It beyond silly to choose a cam asking on a forum and listening to video's. Have one spec'd or consult an expert, who will ask you the proper questions. Otherwise there is a good chance you will be disappointed.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
davidscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
"Proven results" What results...... max power, good drivability, lumpiest idle... smoothest idle ????

You haven't even mentioned if the car is auto or standard, stock stall or not, etc, and nobody asks.

It beyond silly to choose a cam asking on a forum and listening to video's. Have one spec'd or consult an expert, who will ask you the proper questions. Otherwise there is a good chance you will be disappointed.

Proven results with a smaller centrifugal blower.....as I put in the opening post ( v3si or novi 1500 ) obvious that I'm interested in increasing power when I state supercharger is in the setup ,or so I thought it was obvious

The car's a manual transmission so converter stall don't matter

I have not been listening to any videos or ever stated I was ...? I have built a couple cammed LS n/a motors in the past and know first hand how it's going to sound more or less

I understand that your trying to help with your suggestions to go custom cam and I do get it ,guess I just wanted suggestions to point me the right way to get a feel for the specs on cam's I should be looking for to pick a cam that will pair well with a small centrifugal
Old 12-11-2016, 08:26 PM   #10
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
Proven results with a smaller centrifugal blower.....as I put in the opening post ( v3si or novi 1500 ) obvious that I'm interested in increasing power when I state supercharger is in the setup ,or so I thought it was obvious

The car's a manual transmission so converter stall don't matter

I have not been listening to any videos or ever stated I was ...? I have built a couple cammed LS n/a motors in the past and know first hand how it's going to sound more or less

I understand that your trying to help with your suggestions to go custom cam and I do get it ,guess I just wanted suggestions to point me the right way to get a feel for the specs on cam's I should be looking for to pick a cam that will pair well with a small centrifugal
I understand and was not trying to be rude in any way. This same type of question gets posted daily in various forums, and I just don't think its the way to go. Many will tell you that what they are running is best, but most have never compared to any other cams, so how would they really know.

As a simple example, the cam I run (I wont list specs in respect to Pat G.) is very far off from any "off the shelf" blower cams. The thing is it does exactly what I want it to do. Almost no lope, idles as smooth as stock at 750 through an auto, pulls all the way to 7000 rpm, and makes as much power as any I have seen.

That is what I asked for. You may want something totally different. That is why I say, considering it costs almost nothing, get it spec'd and get what you want out of it.
Good luck which ever route you go.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #11
Doug @ ECS

Drives: very fast
Obviously I may be biased, but we have had some very good results from our blower cam, very well track proven.

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...96&keyword=cam
Doug @ ECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #12
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
I would listen to the pros, before I listen to a forum regarding cam choices. There are too many good professionals out there who can steer you in the right direction, like Brian Tooley, Pat G, Doug @ECS, just to name a few. Most quality shops have a few that they recommend also.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #13
Js2fst
2010 transformer

Drives: 2010 ss camaro
I have a very similar cam to the jre rowdy cam I am Procharged with a agp intercooler and it sounds mean and 765 rwhp on a 5.5 pulley 12psi very conservative tune on stock bottom end could have done more timing and got 800 and switch to 2" headers and got more. But waste gating it next and then worry about or just put the stroker in
2010 transformer, vertical doors, 315nt05 rears, pedders supercar coilovers, hotchkis sway bars, links, adjustable, toe bars, bmr poly cradle bushings, 1le control arms, bmr tunnel brace, bmr subframe connectors. Cam 227/239-623-620@114 Mast medium bore heads, sw 1 7/8 headers, cat delete, x pipe, 3" dynomax true duals, fuel rails, fast 102 intake and NW 102 throttle body, catch can, rotofab cai, shifter, raptor custom shift light. Dss drive shaft, 3.91 gears. 492 rwhp
Js2fst is offline   Reply With Quote