Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
Headlight Condesation

Rainy weekend here in VA. Went back and forth to Blacksburg twice from Lynchburg. About 400 miles total in wet conditions.

Today, as Im cleaning her up for the week in the garage, I notice my drivers side headlight has condensation from the corner closest to grill. Car just clicked over to 16k this weekend.

Needless to say I'm pissed off and calling local dealer (where Ive never been because I just moved here) first thing to schedule an appointment.

Anyone else have this happen? This is a huge piss off and makes me sympathize somewhat with people who hate domestic vehicles. Don't get me wrong, love my car and plan to keep it for a long while but this should simply not happen. Ever. Especially not this soon.

What if my warranty had just ran out at 32k and this happened? I would be responsible for a new lens at full dealer cost? Ridiculous.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
sspade

*** condensation ***
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
Old 01-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
I had that happen to my driver's side headlight on my 2012. It had happened before but dried up within a day or so, but last year the condensation was there for over a month. I took it to the dealer and had them replace the headlight fixture. Out of warranty so I paid for it.

Now the passenger side headlight has a film on the inside of the headlight. Luckily you can't see it when the lights are off, but turn them on and the headlight looks cloudy. If I want that fixed too I'll have to pay for it. That would be replacing both headlights through no fault of my own, just poor workmanship from the manufacturer.

GM should put out a TSB on this issue. I think this is much more common than the one covering the licence plate lights possibly burning a hole in the rear bumper cover--which is warrantied for 10 years, I think....

I'm pissed too.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
sspade

Thanks for the response!

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only guy who experienced this. Mine has dried up now too but you can bet your A$$ I'll be getting a free headlight.

Car only has 16k on it so Im not in a huge rush but I will not be forgetting about it that's for sure.

Will take it in next oil change and have them do it all at once (20k).

I agree that this is piss poor workmanship and should NOT HAPPEN.

How much did they bang you for on the new headlight?
Old 01-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
djm96z28

My total bill was $390, parts and labor. They have to take off the front fascia to get to the headlights. The headlight assembly was $189 and that's for the standard headlights, not the halos that the RS has. But no damage at all from taking off the front end, can't tell it was ever off. I don't know if I'll get the passenger side light replaced or not, especially if I have to pay for it....
Old 01-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
sspade

Wow. Was not aware entire bumper had to come off. Not happy.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
djm96z28

Yeah, I was aware they had to remove the front end before I took it in. I told the service advisor my concern about that and he assured me he had a tech who has done that procedure many times on Camaros. Luckily it worked out fine. But like I stated, not sure I want to replace a 2nd headlight assembly unless GM will cover it. Not holding my breath on that one...