Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
trodecke

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS CRT
Stainless Works Full Exhaust

Hi folks. I'm looking to pull the trigger on a new exhaust for my 2014 2SS and am really leaning towards a full Stainless Works exhaust. I'm looking at the headers with high flow cats, performance connection, and the dual chambered retro (at least that's what it used to be called) catback. Other than a cold air intake (CAI brand) I'm fully stock on everything including the exhaust.

I'm not doing this for performance though I'm not going to complain if I pick up a few extra ponies. I'm really doing this for the sound. The stock exhaust is too quiet and not near low enough in pitch. I want to add some volume but mainly I want that low pitched growl without any raspiness at all. What I don't really want is something that's so loud I'm afraid to drive it through the neighborhood. The majority of the time I work a regular 8-5 type schedule but there are times when I'm either going to work at 2:00am or getting back from work in the middle of the night and I don't want to have to stop the car at the end of the street and let it roll into the driveway. I'm 100% OK with a loud system at WOT, I just don't want to sound like a race car at 20 mph.

I considered doing just the headers and high flow cats and leaving the rest of the stock environment in place but if I do that then I lose the ability to use the performance connection later.

I've listened to loads upon loads of Youtube clips of headers and the retro chambered cat back and even some of them together but no video anywhere will do justice to what the actual sound is. I've even run the Youtube videos through my living room TV and full entertainment system and I'm still convinced that I'm not getting the full effect.

Will using the high flow cats help keep the volume down to the point where I can drive through the neighborhood and not get hate mail from the neighbors? Does anyone have this particular setup and can offer some advice or info regarding volume levels, etc?

Thanks!

trodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:24 PM   #2
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
I have Stainless Works headers/ NO CATS / and the Chambered exhaust. Prior to my big engine build i had Stock manifolds with high flow cats and the retro cutback and it was loud.

I now have a cam and supercharger so mine is very loud. But if your looking for that low growl then you have found the right kit. Im actually looking into a corsa exhaust for mine, but that is more of a rasp with a lighter sound than deeper.

Im TRCSS on youtube and have a bunch of videos. I like my cars loud. If you were doing high flows and just the retro id say you would be fine without pissing off neighbors. Adding headers to that combo is going to make the car loud. it will depend on how you drive in the neighborhood and what gear you in to determine the amount of hate you spread throughout!!! haha
Old 02-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #3
QmaroSS
No regrets the red one!

Drives: 2012 Victory Red 2SS
I have the full Stainless Works exhaust exactly as you are looking for. The headers with high flow cats, performance connection, and the dual chambered retro catback. I had the same concerns as you about driving thru the neighborhood and pissing off the neighbors. I went for it and I am so glad I did. I just take my time and creep in and out of the neighborhood and stay off the throttle as much as possible. It is not that loud if you take your time. I have not had a single complaint from my neighbors.

Then when you are free of the neighborhood have some fun, it sounds incredible at WOT! There is no raspiness and I have gotten plenty of great comments about how it sounds like an old school muscle car.
StainlessWorks LT (JetHot Coating) + HFC + Performance Connect, 3" SW Retro Cat-back, Roto-Fab CF CAI, Bo White PO TB, R1Concepts Drilled-Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads, AirLift Performance 3H suspension, MPD1 Rear Spoiler, Heritage Grill w/ Red SS Sparks Emblem, SLP Front Splitter, NightOwl V2 Halo Kit, Roto-Fab Red Engine cover w/ CF Plenum & Fuse Box Cover

QmaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #4
TheInfamouSS
@LS.ACE

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2SS/1LE
I have Full Stainless works 1 7/8 headers- 3" retro chambered catback exhaust and i love it. definitely has that muscle car sound. cant wait until I get my supercharger and BTR cam in there
TheInfamouSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:14 AM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I’ll second QmaroSS. I helped him install his headers and was on the first ride with the car. Since then I’ve followed him into multiple car shows so I can offer an outsider’s opinion on the sound. The car sounds incredible and is the deepest tone exhaust I’ve heard for a bolt on car. It gets pretty incredible at WOT, but doesn’t have the rasp that a catless setup has. Cruising behind you can hear the car, but the only people who would have a problem with it are also the people would would get mad at a stock NPP sound. Pull the trigger on this setup, you won’t be disappointed!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:06 AM   #6
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
All you high HP guys be careful of the SW Retro catback. All those baffles are restrictive. Alot of guys in the turbo facebook group are pulling them off or replacing the baffled sections with straight pipe because they are so restrictive.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff657756 View Post
All you high HP guys be careful of the SW Retro catback. All those baffles are restrictive. Alot of guys in the turbo facebook group are pulling them off or replacing the baffled sections with straight pipe because they are so restrictive.
Yes i can imagine. Im sitting at 700rwhp with this setup and the retro catback has 4 of these mufflers on the whole catback. As people can see its a 3" setup but narrows down to like 2" inside the muffler.

Ive contemplated taking out the middle two and replace them with 3" pipe and just leave the rear 2 in. Just don't know if it will make much of a difference.

But i have QTP cutouts in place right where the cats should be and i gain 10rwhp on a dyno bypassing the exhaust.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
trodecke

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS CRT
Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger on the whole thing. There's a Charger SRT with some type of straight pipes exhaust that's fairly loud and no one's complained yet. Like QmaroSS mentioned, they take it easy in the neighborhood. Thanks!

trodecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:08 PM   #9
jc615
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro and Sierra
Have this setup minus cats and it was loud but not unbearable loud. Once I added a cam it was really loud though
jc615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #10
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
Yes i can imagine. Im sitting at 700rwhp with this setup and the retro catback has 4 of these mufflers on the whole catback. As people can see its a 3" setup but narrows down to like 2" inside the muffler.

Ive contemplated taking out the middle two and replace them with 3" pipe and just leave the rear 2 in. Just don't know if it will make much of a difference.

But i have QTP cutouts in place right where the cats should be and i gain 10rwhp on a dyno bypassing the exhaust.

May not notice too much on a sc setup, but as i mentioned on the turbo setups i have seen 3 guys pull this exhaust off because it is so restrictive. 1 guy couldn't get over 15 psi. Pulled it off and the next pull he hit 20 psi with no issue.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #11
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff657756 View Post
May not notice too much on a sc setup, but as i mentioned on the turbo setups i have seen 3 guys pull this exhaust off because it is so restrictive. 1 guy couldn't get over 15 psi. Pulled it off and the next pull he hit 20 psi with no issue.
Nice. Im only pushing 12 PSI which is max for my blower....but really want that damn Corsa Extreme, the high pitch rasp with the cam sounds mint!!