Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
eddie SS
ALWAYS A MARINE......!!!

Drives: 2010 camaro IOM/2SS/RS/sunroof
Send a message via AIM to eddie SS
WARRANTY ISSUE....

Hi, I'm so upset...I started my maro Monday morning at about 7am. I let it warm up for about 10 mins. It was really cold out. I drove for about 15- 18 mins. to my daughters house to drop them off for school. I left the car running for about another 5mins until I said my goodbyes. Up until now no problems.... I get back in and drive up the block and wait by a red light and notice in my rear view mirror that there is a big cloud of white smoke about half a block behind me. The light turns green and i make the right turn, there's no cars in front so I hit the gas. WHAT THE F#$K...!!! I leave a cloud of white smoke that ran the length of a New York city block. I immediately stopped the car. I looked underneath, NOTHING. I opened the hood, NOTHING. I went to the back and there was a little smoke coming out of the exhaust. I began to drive slowly to see what would happen and NOTHING... I pushed the throttle down half way and BOOM, there goes the smoke screen again. Luckily, the Chevy dealer is only about 15 blocks away. Took it in and they showed me a bulletin that read: beware of customers experiencing white smoke from rear of car (not verbatim, but pretty darn close). They checked it out and it appears that there was a bad batch of lifters that were installed at the plant. The tech said that they were too aggressive and it was allowing oil to seep into the engine, thus creating the smoke effect. He went to the exhaust tips and passed his finger and it was saturated in oil. Now 4 days has passed since and i finally received my car back on Thursday. I drove straight to work with no problems, up until I was about 5 blocks out. I heard a scraping noise that was progressively getting worse. NOW WHAT??? I called up and they said bring it in Friday morning (today). I went and it seems that when the tech was tooling around, he didn't put the exhaust back correctly and it caused the muffler to rub against the drive shaft which caused that noise. The tech aligned it and problem fixed. I just wanted to put this out for everyone to see in the event that they experience what I did. Oh, by the way. While the maro was there I had the tech install the CAI intake. The service manager and the tech both were amazed at how awesome it sounded. The tech even complimented on how well the intake fit above all that he has dealt with in the past. Good luck and enjoy.

Mods so far: SOLO Performance MACH XL cat-back exhaust, NOWEEDS exhaust diverters, Tinted windows, gas cap decal, bow tie black outs, Cold Air Inc CAI, Eibach Pro kit lowering springs

Mods I have but not installed yet: rear trunk black out, Diablosport Trinity

Future Mods: ARH long tube w/ high flow cats or Dynatech's SuperMaXX long tube w/ high flow cats, Maggie S/C

Last edited by eddie SS; 12-18-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: update...
eddie SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
Dude, that's awesome that you could smoke. Diesel guys purposely tune their trucks to get all kinds of smoke out there - you got it for free. And I'm pretty sure the diesel guys would be jealous of the amount of smoke you were putting out.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Do you have the LS3 or L99....do you remember if the bulletin applied to both? What's your VIN number and when was the bulletin dated.....I know...a lot of questions, but it could help others discover the problem.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Good info I may have to jump for a CAI as well now...
Old 12-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post
Dude, that's awesome that you could smoke. Diesel guys purposely tune their trucks to get all kinds of smoke out there - you got it for free. And I'm pretty sure the diesel guys would be jealous of the amount of smoke you were putting out.
... except for the fact that it was burning oil...
Old 12-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie SS View Post
notice in my rear view mirror that there is a big cloud of white smoke about half a block behind me..
I would have loved to have seen this....just not behind you............
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauryn200 View Post
I would have loved to have seen this....just not behind you............
Yes smoke from burning rubber > than smoke from burning oil
Old 12-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
2010victoryredss_ron
Born: August 27, 2009

Drives: 10CAMARO SS,12CRUZE RS,07 YAM R6
Send a message via MSN to 2010victoryredss_ron
serial number??????
Old 12-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
Snuggles

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS, M6, whitestrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
Do you have the LS3 or L99....do you remember if the bulletin applied to both? What's your VIN number and when was the bulletin dated.....I know...a lot of questions, but it could help others discover the problem.
+1
Also, how many miles on your Camaro?

Snuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
I heard about this in another thread. I think in the warranty section.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
wow, that would've scared the crap out of me. Especially in a new car... Good think there was a TSB out for it!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #12
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Sorry to hear you had such a issue but most important, they made it right, all said and now done.

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
StealthMan

Drives: 88 IROC-Z Convert, 08 Jeep Rubicon
Its fixed and the dealer even installed the CAI for you without issue..and you are still steaming mad???
StealthMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #14
eddie SS
ALWAYS A MARINE......!!!

Drives: 2010 camaro IOM/2SS/RS/sunroof
Send a message via AIM to eddie SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMB135Driver View Post
I have the L99, not sure if it applies to both. Not sure when the bulletin was dated but I remember hearing the tech say that it just came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010victoryredss_ron View Post
serial number??????
Vin: 35762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggles View Post
+1
Also, how many miles on your Camaro?
It had 2969 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbusa View Post
Sorry to hear you had such a issue but most important, they made it right, all said and now done.
Yes, they did a good job minus having to go back for a second visit. They are a good group of guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMan View Post
Its fixed and the dealer even installed the CAI for you without issue..and you are still steaming mad???
No. I meant when it first happened and wasn't exactly thrilled to have had to go back a second time. But now I am happy with the final results.

Mods so far: SOLO Performance MACH XL cat-back exhaust, NOWEEDS exhaust diverters, Tinted windows, gas cap decal, bow tie black outs, Cold Air Inc CAI, Eibach Pro kit lowering springs

Mods I have but not installed yet: rear trunk black out, Diablosport Trinity

Future Mods: ARH long tube w/ high flow cats or Dynatech's SuperMaXX long tube w/ high flow cats, Maggie S/C
eddie SS is offline   Reply With Quote