Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #15
1LE McQueen

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
This is insanity. If this friggin blend door is half the problem it appears to be here on the forum, why is there no recall? Did someone say upwards of $1800 at a dealer?
I was quoted 3000, again depending on the door that broke. This is as absurd as it is stressful.
1LE McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:25 PM   #16
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
The posts i've seen in this forum point to the same lower blend door. And some vids on this issue tell how to simply unscrew the fastener for the motor/actuator to first check the blend door pivot to see if the pivot point broke or not (before attempting repair). If it is the typical broken pivot it is 15 minutes to dremel to get access and remove that door. This same exact problem happened on the blend door in my home refrigerator between the freezer and refrigerator compartments, the pivot snapped, so i know first hand it is not just happening on automobiles. In either case it is a very simple fix for DIY folks.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:16 PM   #17
1LE McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
The posts i've seen in this forum point to the same lower blend door. And some vids on this issue tell how to simply unscrew the fastener for the motor/actuator to first check the blend door pivot to see if the pivot point broke or not (before attempting repair). If it is the typical broken pivot it is 15 minutes to dremel to get access and remove that door. This same exact problem happened on the blend door in my home refrigerator between the freezer and refrigerator compartments, the pivot snapped, so i know first hand it is not just happening on automobiles. In either case it is a very simple fix for DIY folks.
Any idea why all these local shops are telling me there's 3 blend doors? I'm honestly willing to try the DIY, but I'll be devastated if its the wrong one.

Last edited by 1LE McQueen; 02-15-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #18
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
ron123 is on point the blend door is CHEAP so i would do the hack or check it like he said.all you have to lose is a few minutes and 20 bucks that may save you thousands. there is actually only 1 blend door the other 2 are not blend doors......
rockauto shows 3, temp,defrost and vent.the temp door is the problem unless you vents don't change. don't overthink it keep it simple.
the part------
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...446645&jsn=449

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...end+door,10640
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:24 PM   #19
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
You could drill a small hole in the middle of the area to be removed. Insert a borescope (fiber optic inspection scope) and see if you can get a visual on broken door. Use that "hack" video as a reference. You don't want to be doing recreational maintenance.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 PM   #20
lemontwist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
You could drill a small hole in the middle of the area to be removed. Insert a borescope (fiber optic inspection scope) and see if you can get a visual on broken door. Use that "hack" video as a reference. You don't want to be doing recreational maintenance.
good idea. i did my own as i stated my heater core was bad and there is no hack for that,he was quoted 3k to replace a 12 dollar part i should start doing them for 1500 but it would take me 2 weekends.i can say it's A BIG JOB and it should be easier the engineers should be forced to do a few so they would rethink there thinking.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:46 PM   #21
1LE McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
ron123 is on point the blend door is CHEAP so i would do the hack or check it like he said.all you have to lose is a few minutes and 20 bucks that may save you thousands. there is actually only 1 blend door the other 2 are not blend doors......
rockauto shows 3, temp,defrost and vent.the temp door is the problem unless you vents don't change. don't overthink it keep it simple.
the part------
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...446645&jsn=449

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...end+door,10640
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
good idea. i did my own as i stated my heater core was bad and there is no hack for that,he was quoted 3k to replace a 12 dollar part i should start doing them for 1500 but it would take me 2 weekends.i can say it's A BIG JOB and it should be easier the engineers should be forced to do a few so they would rethink there thinking.
Quote:
Thank you gents, this is extremely helpful. I should've came here first.

lemontwist - The "valve" will switch between defroster and the other two options, so i'm assuming that knocks out one of the three.
The temperature kind of works.. AC blows ice cold in winter (with AC on), and the heater barely heats up. It was the opposite last summer.. the AC was warm. With the AC gen off, the heater is pretty warm but not "hot" like it used to. Does that knock out 2 of 3, leaving only the actual blend door?

The borescope idea is brilliant, i'm gonna have to try that.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #22
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Have we lost our clout as a community with some of the regional GM warranty people that used to lurk here? I know the 5th Gen is yesterday’s news but $3K for labor and a defective part is ludicrous. Anybody listening, GM? THIS SHOULD BE A RECALL!
Old 02-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #23
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
This is insanity. If this friggin blend door is half the problem it appears to be here on the forum, why is there no recall? Did someone say upwards of $1800 at a dealer?
The Federal NHTSA has two criteria to determine if a recall is required:
› When a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment (including tires)
does not comply with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.
› When there is a safety-related defect in the vehicle or equipment.

Examples of Defects Not Considered Safety-Related:
› Air conditioners and radios that do not operate properly

Full details are here:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...619-v2-tag.pdf

As mentioned earlier, the blend door to my home GE Profile refrigerator broke that diverts air between freezer and refrigerator, same reported problem as in the forum, the pivot plastic snapped, this problem is not specific to cars only. And by coincidence the replacement part was about the same price as what Chevy charges. lol

For a couple of reasons I'd definitely do the 15 minute dremel on the car to get access and replace the $30 blend door that way myself
verses going to a shop and having them remove all those components and hope they get it all back together perfectly.
Especially when the dremel access does no damage and is completely hidden when done.
Added plus: if that blend door pivot breaks off again doing the repeat fix takes a few minutes!!!
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 02-14-2020 at 12:36 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #24
Sxren_Camaro'13
SEAHAWKS FOR LIFE!!

Drives: '13 Mod Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE McQueen View Post
Thanks for the vid. I've seen several of them which is why I assumed this fix was going to be easier than it is. Really i'm ripping my hair out because no one has a freaking clue and i'm getting different answers from different people. I keep hearing "Dash / windshield needs to come out". AND I SHOWED MY DIAGNOSTIC / REPAIR GUYS THE VIDEO TOO.

Why would everyone keep saying there's 3 blend doors? Even J&R Perf, a local GM perf shop, told me it could be easy or hard depending on which door it is.

I haven't contacted a dealer yet for fear of being robbed, but I'll give freeway chevrolet a call. Thanks!
tell Chris Esquer Paul Naegle refered you hes a service guy
Old 02-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #25
lemontwist

Quote:
The Federal NHTSA has two criteria to determine if a recall is required:
› When a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment (including tires)
does not comply with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.
› When there is a safety-related defect in the vehicle or equipment.

Examples of Defects Not Considered Safety-Related:
› Air conditioners and radios that do not operate properly

Full details are here:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...619-v2-tag.pdf

As mentioned earlier, the blend door to my home GE Profile refrigerator broke that diverts air between freezer and refrigerator, same reported problem as in the forum, the pivot plastic snapped, this problem is not specific to cars only. And by coincidence the replacement part was about the same price as what Chevy charges. lol

For a couple of reasons I'd definitely do the 15 minute dremel on the car to get access and replace the $30 blend door that way myself
verses going to a shop and having them remove all those components and hope they get it all back together perfectly.
Especially when the dremel access does no damage and is completely hidden when done.
Added plus: if that blend door pivot breaks off again doing the repeat fix takes a few minutes!!!
the recall ship sailed long ago......but if its COLD and the blend door is stuck on cold and won't defrost or defog the windshield i call that a safety issue. gm didn't see it that way but they will recall the key fobs?????
Old 02-14-2020, 09:10 PM   #26
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
The temperature kind of works.. AC blows ice cold in winter (with AC on), and the heater barely heats up. It was the opposite last summer.. the AC was warm. With the AC gen off, the heater is pretty warm but not "hot" like it used to.
This just confirms it's the middle one, the one people do the dremel hack on and cut a small hole beside the gas pedal to replace.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #27
1LE McQueen

Thank you all. Ordered the part on Amazon and it's supposed to come in tomorrow. I'll keep you all up to date when I get around to doing this.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-51...1789329&sr=8-2
Old 02-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #28
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Thank you all. Ordered the part on Amazon and it's supposed to come in tomorrow. I'll keep you all up to date when I get around to doing this.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-15-51...1789329&sr=8-2
When you are digging around under the dash maybe you can locate and take a picture of the actuator electrical connector. I would like to install an interrupt switch at this location to prevent excessive door cycling.
ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote