Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 11-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #1121
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
It's amazing how much time and money can be spent on hardware. Spent all my spare time coming up with the hardware to mount the front end and trunk lid.. I was able to come up with everything needed in stainless steel. Tomorrow I will mount the fender supports, align all the panels and tighten everything up. While I'm under the car I'll get the fuel lines buttoned up.
Attached Images

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:13 AM   #1122
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Wow that stainless really completes it nicely. I just hope you can get it out on the road for a test drive if it's not too late yet. Sadly Toronto got an early start on winter yesterday with the white stuff. Have you given any thought to paint and interior yet?
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:04 AM   #1123
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnever View Post
Wow that stainless really completes it nicely. I just hope you can get it out on the road for a test drive if it's not too late yet. Sadly Toronto got an early start on winter yesterday with the white stuff. Have you given any thought to paint and interior yet?
We had a dusting of snow here as well but the car does have heat. Lol.

Most likely no interior and no paint
Old 11-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #1124
CFD

Another productive day. Got the fender braces in then finally got back under the car and got the fuel lines and fuel filter installed. I then got the trunk in place. Not sure what I'm doing tomorrow but there's a good chance I'll tackle the gas cap.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2019, 06:25 PM   #1125
CFD

Worked on the trunk spring/latch, got them glass beaded and painted, tomorrow I will install them so I can keep the trunk open while I finish the gas cap. I drew a center line so I wouldn't loose the orientation of the cap, then I cut out the mess that was done before. I made a template for the new piece, because it's not flat I would typically do it on an English wheel but where as I don't have it anymore I roughed it out and pulled it into shape with a shrinker. I then removed the original well from the mess, cleaned it up, hammered it into shape and welded it to the piece I made. Tomorrow I will finish the edge and radius around the cap then weld it into the car. When that is done I will finish the filler hose and the car will be to the point where I can add gas and run it with all systems working. So close!!!
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #1126
CFD

Got the trunk springs and latches in which enabled me to keep the trunk open while I worked on the gas cap. Finished the repair panel I made and got it welded in. Because of the difference in wheel wells the spigot wouldn't line up as is so I cut it and turned it to face the right direction and welded it back together. I didn't connect it up because the fuel filler hose I had is cracked and in rough shape, surprising as it's only been on the car for 1 year. I also had to make a small bracket for return springs, the TPS bracket eliminated the original one. I then put the grill on. Tomorrow I may drag the doors out and strip them for sandblasting.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2019, 05:35 PM   #1127
rwhxk3
S1N1STR

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I love this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
rwhxk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #1128
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhxk3 View Post
I love this thread.

What happens when the car is done.?. lol

Didn't have to much time today but I did get the doors ready to strip for sandblasting. Some of the hardware is in rough shape so I'm hoping I can get them apart without to much trouble. I did pre around the window openings and got the rear side windows in.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #1129
rwhxk3
S1N1STR

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I’m hoping the car is a never ending project. My hunch is that you’ll find another project to document that I can follow.

rwhxk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:07 AM   #1130
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
^ +1

I look forward to the updates for this project. Once this is complete hopefully the next project will be documented here as well... or at least give us a link to it lol
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #1131
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhxk3 View Post
I’m hoping the car is a never ending project. My hunch is that you’ll find another project to document that I can follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstodii View Post
^ +1

I look forward to the updates for this project. Once this is complete hopefully the next project will be documented here as well... or at least give us a link to it lol
Well your in luck, lol, this project will last as long as I own the car and I have no plans to sell it. It will definitely get us through the winter, I still have all the sheet metal work to do, front and rear bumpers to make , roll cage, I'm thinking of making custom trim as that's one thing I don't have any of and many, many more things will come.

Today I got the doors stripped. Almost all the hardware came out with the exception of two pieces, of course they are not typical hardware but I can make both pieces. The problem will be getting the broken piece out. It's a tapered screw that holds the door handle in, I was able to drill a very small amount, just enough to free the handle and take the latch out. This is going to be a problem, the screw is hard, I barely put a dent in it and to make it more difficult the piece it's in is brass and spring loaded with the hole at an obstructed angle. If you look closely to the left of the hole you can see a shiny spot where I tried drilling, that's the remaining piece of the broken screw, all the threads. The other piece adjusts the window channel but is no problem. There's a lot of pieces/hardware for one door. Hope I can figure out where it all goes. lol. I also removed as much of the sound deadening as I could. It should be the same as the trunk so by tomorrow the black tar like glue should scrape off.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #1132
CFD

Didn't get too much done for good reason, I've been consulting with a surgeon who thinks he can repair my shoulder and as long as there are no complications I am going ahead with another shot at it, it's almost useless the way it is. I did get the doors out to the sandblaster, the bottoms are a bit rough but it's hard to tell how bad with all the body filler, I'm hoping they're not to bad but we'll see. I also cleaned up the latches and window regulators, I haven't tried to remove the broken screw yet, maybe tomorrow. Also, my wheels should be here tomorrow, I'm hoping their design won't create a problem in machining them for bigger studs.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #1133
h018871
Geoff

Drives: 2020 ZL1 Green
Catching up, been busy myself lol

Really nice job running the hardlines. so many folks don't take the time to run them cleanly.

I echo the feelings of others, I really hope your projects don't end. I delight in watching them come together.
Sure hope the shoulder surgery has a better outcome this time. Good luck!
Old 11-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #1134
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by h018871 View Post
Catching up, been busy myself lol

Really nice job running the hardlines. so many folks don't take the time to run them cleanly.

I echo the feelings of others, I really hope your projects don't end. I delight in watching them come together.
Sure hope the shoulder surgery has a better outcome this time. Good luck!
Thanks. This will be the never ending project. Actually got a date for the surgery, going to be Jan. 9th.

Got the hood out and took a good look at it. It's in excellent shape so I'm going to strip it by hand rather than sandblasting it. Wheels came in, took a few measurements but haven't decided on how I'm going to machine them if needed. Looking at the axles it's possible they are already drilled for 1/2 studs as well as the 5/8, if so, I won't have to machine the wheels. Tomorrow I'll pull a rotor and take a good look.
Attached Images