Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #15
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
Hey Chase, thanks for the breakdown. I always tuned by AFR, so the Lamda through me off at first.
This may sound stupid, but If I want to run a Lamda of 1.03, why wouldn't you just set that commanded across the board. I have an LLT, HP Tuners w/ LM2, and a CAI. Is timing the factor that wants a richer mixture up top?
This thread is about providing a better understanding of what tuning is, not how to do it. Getting into technical details of how and what to do in a venue like this would open us up to a tremendous amount of legal liability. Sorry.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #16
Kid

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT, 68 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
This thread is about providing a better understanding of what tuning is, not how to do it. Getting into technical details of how and what to do in a venue like this would open us up to a tremendous amount of legal liability. Sorry.
No worries, totally understood.

Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #17
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anythingfast954 View Post
How hard is it to learn how to tune cars chase?
For my own car atleast?
Loading a canned tune is one thing but actually tuning is something you need to leave to a professional. You can destroy your engine if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #18
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
When is part II coming out? Good explanations and good examples, too!

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #19
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
When is part II coming out? Good explanations and good examples, too!
Thank you. I need to wrap it up. I have a couple half finished articles that I have not had a chance to get done.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #20
ABM Camaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro
what do you do if you determine you have false knock
ABM Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #21
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM Camaro View Post
what do you do if you determine you have false knock
That is a very general question so all I can really give is a very general answer. There are a number of things that can cause it. You need to narrow down what it is and take care of it.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:48 PM   #22
Kid

One more question you may or may not be able to answer in this thread. In torque based tuning, is torque basically throttle input?

Old 07-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #23
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
One more question you may or may not be able to answer in this thread. In torque based tuning, is torque basically throttle input?
Torque based engine control is basically a program that instead on directly tying accelerator pedal position to throttle body blade position it translates pedal position into a driver demanded torque output and then into a throttle position.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #24
Kid

Quote:
Torque based engine control is basically a program that instead on directly tying accelerator pedal position to throttle body blade position it translates pedal position into a driver demanded torque output and then into a throttle position.
I assume this is due to the drive by wire, seeing as the throttle blade can be in a different position than the pedal is calling for?

Old 07-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #25
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
I assume this is due to the drive by wire, seeing as the throttle blade can be in a different position than the pedal is calling for?
It isn't necessarily due to drive-by-wire but it is something that is now possible because of drive-by-wire. Torque based engine control has some really interesting performance implications for forced induction and hybrid drivetrains.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #26
Kid

Quote:
It isn't necessarily due to drive-by-wire but it is something that is now possible because of drive-by-wire. Torque based engine control has some really interesting performance implications for forced induction and hybrid drivetrains.
...and is really hard to learn

Thanks for the info!

Old 09-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #27
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
...and is really hard to learn

Thanks for the info!
No doubt.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #28
Big Brunsy

Drives: 2010 supercharged LS3
I bought my car modded (Whipple, LTs HF cats, CAI, meth inj) and the tune that was in it really sucked. Every time I really got on it it would throw a code about the the pedal/throttle position and immediately cut the power. I made the 2 hour drive to the nearest tuner and they spent the afternoon going through the tune and ended up getting me 40hp and 40tq, and the car drives much better.

My question is after the new tune I keep getting codes for both banks running lean, but the LTFTs never go above 24.2. Also if I'm on boost for more than a couple seconds the service stabilitrack message comes up and traction/stability control shut off. I Also will still very randomly get the pedal/throttleposition code (p0121).

Is there anything specific I can tell the tuner to look for to fix these problems? I'd try to find a different one but I live in BFE and there just aren't any around.
Big Brunsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex motorsports, ecm, performance tune, tune, tuning