Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Mike@RMCR

Drives: Supercharged
RMCR Stage 2 Build

Here are some pics of a Stage 2 build we are doing. This package includes the following parts:

Vortech Supercharger Kit
S/C Pulley Upgrade & Belt
160 Degree T- Stat
NGK TR6 Plugs
ARH 1 7/8 Long tube headers w/ cats & x-pipe
Magnaflow Exhaust
Full Custom ECM Tune

Here are some pics of the build so far. We will have more pics and dyno #'s tomorrow.

Mike@RMCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
racerx333
NAPA GENERAL

Drives: 2010 2ssrs ry ls3 02 ss slp
cool!!
have you done any stage 3 with the cams yet? was at your web site yesterday!

RMCR CUSTOM HOTROD 684RWHP!
racerx333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Mike@RMCR

We have done several C6 Corvettes with Stage 3 packages. No SS's yet. I am trying to get MTCWBY to let me do the cam swap on his.

Most guys feel that the 600's to the wheels we can get with the stage 2 package is enough.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
JustaCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
What is the pulley upgrade? I have the Vortech on my SS and it came with the 3.8 in ten rib pulley. Did you go smaller?
JustaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaCamaro View Post
What is the pulley upgrade? I have the Vortech on my SS and it came with the 3.8 in ten rib pulley. Did you go smaller?
They offer an upgrade to a 12rib, to a cog drive, and various sizes...I am not sure what his upgrade was..

As for upgrading to a higher number of ribs..I really dont think you need it on the stock kit...now if you plan on running 10psi or more it would be a good idea.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
JustaCamaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
As I remember the build MTCWBY did, he was not able to get the boost advertised with the supplied supercharger pulley due to the altitude he was at, and they went with a smaller pulley. I was wondering if this was what they were doing here. I'm not looking to exceed 8.5 psi, but I do want to get at least the 7.5 they advertise. I live at 1500 ft and that should have some detrimental effect. They say that LT headers and high flow cats will also lower the boost-all things being equal.

Doesn't the bypass valve regulate maximum boost as well as dumping the pressure when you close the throttle?
JustaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Looking Good
Old 02-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
They say that LT headers and high flow cats will also lower the boost-all things being equal.
While they can lower your boost level, the amount of air going through the engine shouldn't change. That would mean your power level should be the same. Boost level doesn't equate to power, air does. Headers just make the engine able to be more effiecient at removing the air, thus removing a portion of the back pressure, AKA boost.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
Mike@RMCR

We go to a 3.33" S/C pulley and a shorter 10 rib belt for no belt slip problems. With a 10 rib we have gone as much as 20lbs of boost with no problems with a V-7 YSi.

We saw 8lbs on the last car we did with this set up @ 6500 ft.

MTCWBY has tested this setup for us in several states so far and has had no issues with our pulley change. We do tailor these packages to fit the customers desired level of performance.

I will have dyno #'s posted around lunch time tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
As I remember the build MTCWBY did, he was not able to get the boost advertised with the supplied supercharger pulley due to the altitude he was at, and they went with a smaller pulley. I was wondering if this was what they were doing here. I'm not looking to exceed 8.5 psi, but I do want to get at least the 7.5 they advertise. I live at 1500 ft and that should have some detrimental effect. They say that LT headers and high flow cats will also lower the boost-all things being equal.

Doesn't the bypass valve regulate maximum boost as well as dumping the pressure when you close the throttle?
The pulley upgrade is just the smaller pulley to get more boost. With the long tubes and high altitude I was only able to get 4.5 psi on the stock pulley. So we went with the 3.33" pulley to get 7.5 psi boost.
The bypass doesn't effect the max boost, it just bypasses the air when you are in vacuum. When you hit the gas and normal vacuum drops, it closes off the bypass valve so you can build boost. Driving normally around town and on the highway, you never build boost.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
Mike@RMCR

So here is the completed build. Sorry for the bad lighting its like 10 degrees outside so we have the shop all buttoned up.

We chose to paint the intercooler and charge pipes black for that stealth look behind the grill.

We will have dyno #'s after lunch.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
Brian@Vortech

Drives: Vortech 'Charged 06 Mustang GT
Good stuff Mike! Let us know when those dyno numbers get laid down. Is the owner of the car a Camaro5 member? Looking forward another awesome RMCR finished product!
Brian@Vortech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@Vortech View Post
Good stuff Mike! Let us know when those dyno numbers get laid down. Is the owner of the car a Camaro5 member? Looking forward another awesome RMCR finished product!
That's a huge Intercooler Brian, and it certainly compensates for the blocked area!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
Mike@RMCR

Will have #'s in a few hours. I had to update my software which took me 2 hrs to do. Got to love the internet.