Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
JProberts

Drives: 2SS RJT RS/Sunroof
Billet Grill Overlays

I really do not like the look of the plastic black stock grill on my 2SS and I was about to order one of the T-Rex billet overlays but I'm a little hesitant becasue I have never used or actually seen one of these on a car.

Has anyone purchased or researched one of these types of billet grill overlays by T-Rex or any other manufactuer for that matter?

I have not found anyone that has or produces a repacement grill and from what I have read the original grills are very hard to replace and would end up being an expesnsive mod.

Can anyone provide some insight on what to expect from this type of product and if it is high quality or just some flimsy piece that goes over the stock grill.

Will they be instusive to airflow to the engine if they simply go over the existing grill? I will be adding a S/C soon and don't want to add something that could be a negative to the cars performance just for appearance sake.

Thanks for the input.
JProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
Not a fan here
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
JProberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal View Post
Not a fan here
Can you elaborate on that a little for me please?
Old 01-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
6BANGER
2LT RS - 70 AMX

Drives: 2LT RS Cyber Gray & 1970 AMX
They go on pretty easy, 4 L brackets clamp to the grill & 2 L brackets to the lower grill. It's just the straight on look that you can see the stock grill behind it. The hardest part is pulling off the front Bow Tie. If your not in a big hurry, there's going to be even more grills coming out. Ebay is a good place to look at pix of some of the ones available now. Mine are Billet, & they are NOT flimsy at all !

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ghlight=grills

http://www.billetanything.com/Search...?Search=camaro

Hope that helps a little, I lost my pix of my Billet, I think I paid $360 for top & bottom in black. One note though, If your getting the one's that go over the stock grill, Do the small lower grill FIRST ! Then the top goes on much smoother ! It's like practicing !

Old 01-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
JProberts

Thanks for the info 6BANGER it was helpful. I really want to keep the stock grill look and saw one from T-Rex polished that looks exactly like the stock unit and I thought it was a repalcement but it is actually an overlay.

I would really like to see it in person on another car first. I have seen the mesh type on on other types of cars but I haven't seen this type.

I think I will be patient and wait to see what type of solid replacement pieces come out that are not just overlays. Or at least see this overlay up close and in person.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
6BANGER
2LT RS - 70 AMX

Drives: 2LT RS Cyber Gray & 1970 AMX
Yea, I may change down the road too, I had my grill before my car was delivered ! I just couldn't patiently wait, must be a character flaw....

Here's a pix of a grill that has me intrigued, I don't know what the center looks like, but I sure like the look !
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
Snuggles

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS, M6, whitestrip
I love em!
Extremely easy to install, I get plenty of compliments.
I personally think my color scheme makes em look better..
Attached Images

Snuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:18 AM   #8
JProberts

Very nice pictures indeed! 6BANGER I don't know if my patients will keep me away much longer from the look I want. I'm hoping if I can make it to spring time some other makes may be available.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
SSchase

Drives: 2010 camaro SS/RS LS3
6banger i was looking at getting the billet grill like yours but im worried that at night it will effect the lighting. have you had any issues or noticed a change in light output due to the grill in front? thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
I have these in for now,but I am upgrading to a E&G Classics mesh grill shortly!!!
Attached Images

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
JProberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotthat02fire View Post
I have these in for now,but I am upgrading to a E&G Classics mesh grill shortly!!!
Thats what I have and I think it looks great. Sorry about the crappy cell pics!
Attached Images

Last edited by JProberts; 03-10-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: More info