Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #141
KATHY63

Drives: 2010 IOM manual 2SS
Ours has a lot of chips in it also. We have one on the roof also. My husband used the touch up paint and it just sucks right into the chip. It looks awful. They are all over the front bumper. We even have a few chips in the windshield. Tailgating is not an option with this car. It does have over 13,000 miles on it but it is not driven daily. It has been on a few road trips. When we picked ours up there were little tiny bubbles in the paint in various spots. We concluded that it added to the character of the car but now they seem to be popping. Really mad and frustrated over this problem. We have numerous other chevy's with almost 200,000 miles on them and they do not have the paint chip problem like our Camaro does.
KATHY63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #142
68/2010
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
if they want to paint them on for free, then let them!
Let them paint them on for sure.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #143
casadesola

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Rally Yellow M6
I noticed a 'paint chip' on my hood but it actually looks like there was a bubble that popped before the paint cured. I also noticed some debris UNDER my hood rally stripe. I'm talking in the middle of the stripe! Now that's quality workmanship!! Oh, and I noticed this when the car had 98 miles on it.
casadesola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #144
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd582010 View Post
I forgot to post last time, my production date was 9/14/2010. I took delivery on 9/26/10.. And I now have really stirred the GM customer care dept up. They have sent a rep to Oregon to investigate thru the Suburban, Damerow chevy group. They are updating me (2) times a week. I am still waiting for them to request my car for inspection and to get a MIL check on the paint.
Thanks! Looking forward to that info.
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #145
BICHN CAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATHY63 View Post
Ours has a lot of chips in it also. We have one on the roof also. My husband used the touch up paint and it just sucks right into the chip. It looks awful. They are all over the front bumper. We even have a few chips in the windshield. Tailgating is not an option with this car. It does have over 13,000 miles on it but it is not driven daily. It has been on a few road trips. When we picked ours up there were little tiny bubbles in the paint in various spots. We concluded that it added to the character of the car but now they seem to be popping. Really mad and frustrated over this problem. We have numerous other chevy's with almost 200,000 miles on them and they do not have the paint chip problem like our Camaro does.
Kathy63. If you choose to get GM involved please get the paint thickness measured and send me that info in a PM. FYI If you have chips in the windshield you may be following too close. The rep will pick up on that in a minute.

Dead Milkmen
Old 05-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #146
BICHN CAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMTE View Post
Alright, help me out here Htp? How much installed is the clear bra?
My previous vehicle had a clear bra which became faded and worn after 10000 miles making a noticable difference on the front end. They are warrented and I get a new one free of charge. However the labor to remove the old one and re-install a new one is not! So how much do you charge to remove an old damaged bra and re-install a new one?
Now multiply by ten and add them together. How much is that? Should I have to pay that because and auto manufacturer won't go thicker on paint?

@ Bitchn, let me know how you feel after your bra fades and you have to get a new one. I am talking from experience and not making this shit up!!

@ htp, I am not trying to mess with your business, I just think people need to know what they are getting themselves into with the clear bra!!
How thick is your paint? Get it mil tested and send me a PM with the results. If you have less than 4 mils then it is THIN. Mine has 9.5 and appears to have been run through the paint line more than once. That said, it is a really beautiful paint job. I wont be getting a clear bra (some do not hold up and have issues like you said) but did just order a set of splash guards from RPI that are in my opinion better looking than the factory's. Will post the results one they are on.

Dead Milkmen
Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #147
L99

Drives: B On B L99-Gone/SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollycamss View Post
I just wanted to know if anyone who has the ground effect kit on their car and it's been painted, is having problems with the paint chipping off. I have the ground effects kit on my camaro and the paint is chipping off on both sides at the top rear of it. We took it back to the dealership and they said that it wasn't an issue with the paint. GM knows about this problems due to it being brought to their attention numerous times, but are refusing to do anything about it.
I have ground effects but had it installed after purchase and painted in body shop and have not had a problem with it.
L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #148
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
I just have one decent size chip in my front fascia. Probably from a rock.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #149
Yellowcamaro

Drives: 2010 RS Transformer Editon
Since i have had my car which is going on four months i have had many chips. They range all the way from the hood, the front end, the doors and the worst are the side panels right in front of the rear tire. I had the flaps installed to see if that would help any but so far it really has not done anything for me
Yellowcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #150
Patfan1987
CGM is the Best! Thx GM

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro, Auto + Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowcamaro View Post
Since i have had my car which is going on four months i have had many chips. They range all the way from the hood, the front end, the doors and the worst are the side panels right in front of the rear tire. I had the flaps installed to see if that would help any but so far it really has not done anything for me
Same here, had them installed, looked at the gills after washing the car today and had many little chips there

Proud Owner of a CGM 2 LT/RS Auto Transmission w/Sunroof and Spare Tire
Patfan1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #151
dreamst8
WrkrBee

Drives: 16 Hyper & 11 Victory
I have had my Camaro since March and I have paint chipping on the hood, fender wells and y the gills. This is really kinda stupid, and related to paint quality. My '97 Grand Prix GTP I just got rid of for the Camaro didn't have hardly any chips on it !

2011 2 LT/RS Victory Red V6 M6
dreamst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #152
ltd582010

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BICHN CAMARO View Post
Thanks! Looking forward to that info.
I have been approved for repair of all the paint, My car will be going to Champion collision for the paint repair and clear bra. When my car gets to his shop I will get the mill thick on my paint and post it. I am scheduled for June 7th. GM has actually been pretty good about this once I climbed high enough into the executive system.

More to come on JUne 7th.
ltd582010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #153
BICHN CAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd582010 View Post
I have been approved for repair of all the paint, My car will be going to Champion collision for the paint repair and clear bra. When my car gets to his shop I will get the mill thick on my paint and post it. I am scheduled for June 7th. GM has actually been pretty good about this once I climbed high enough into the executive system.

More to come on JUne 7th.
Cool, Could you PM me on that mil test data? I really need as much data from as many cars as possible. Thin paint (less than 4 mils) will result in excessive chipping. Other factors come into play as well.

Good luck on your new paint job!!

Dead Milkmen
Old 06-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #154
casadesola

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Rally Yellow M6
Funny thing. After reading this thread, I went to the dealer to get my carpet replaced and while I was waiting around, I strolled through the showroom floor. There, just about dead center of the hood of this black SS was a paint chip! This was IN the showroom!
casadesola is offline   Reply With Quote