Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Bobk

Drives: 2012 V6 RS
Clear Bra horror story

Although I've been hanging out on this forum for a while this is my first post. Hopefully it can help someone. After getting a 2012 2LT/RS less than two months ago I immediatley started looking into getting a clear bra for the front end. I spoke to 2 reputable local body shops, both of which I know the owners of, and they highly recommended a person in my area that they refer their customers to. After talking at length with the owner of the business and seeing his operation I consented to having the front end done. He showed me his computer guided cutting machine and explained how the program is constantly updated with the most current car configurations and how each piece is precisely cut to fit the vehicle perfectly. When I picked up my car from him after the installation I couldn't believe what a superb job he did, it was flawless and I was extremely happy.

Now the horror story....... I quickly learned, on my own and from others on this forum, that the gill area of these Camaro's are prone to debris hitting them, even though I have the splash guards installed. No problem, I'll just get some more plastic installed in that area, so I thought. I spoke with the owner and explained to him what I wanted done. He had a better idea. He would do the entire area from the rear of the door to the rear of the gills ending at the wheel well, and for added protection put it around the wheel well following the countour all the way around to the rear of the wheel. He was also going to remove the small factory installed piece below the gills on the rocker panel and put a larger piece in that area.

Three days prior to dropping the car off to him the dealership where I bought the car repaired a factory flaw in the paint between the rocker panel and the rear quarter panel where the paint didn't adhere to the primer. They did an excellent job and now it was time for the plastic film. So, I drop the car off and the owner introduces me to his son and explains to me that his son's been working with him for a year and will be doing the install because he has to do an install at a dealership. He goes over the car with his son and explains to him exactly where to put the film. I personally didn't care who did the install as long as it was a quality job. He starts on the install at 8:30 am and calls me at 1:00 pm to tell me my cars all set. I pick it up and the lighting in the garage was kind of dark so it looked good, I pay the son and drive away.

20 minutes later I'm in my driveway inspecting the car. I was almost sick!!! The film had numerous areas where it appeared that there was dirt underneath it. There were small bubbles in it and it wasn't even close to following the contour of the rear fender. Now the best part...I see a scratch in the paint a few inches long around the wheel well. I immediatly call the installer and tell him how displeased I am. I then asked him if he used a razor blade on the car to cut the plastic and he tells me he did. Now I'm really ripped and tell him to have his father (the owner) call me when he gets back. 2 hours later the owner calls me and asks me to bring the car back so he can inspect it. I bring a friend with me to keep me from losing my temper. When I get there he looks the car over and admits the installation around the wheel well could have been better but tries to down play it. I show him the scratch and he says it's only small and can probably be buffed out. His son speaks up and says the car can't stay new forever. My friend tells the son, for his own good, to be quiet. Now I'm so mad that I can't even talk, I was three times past the level of screaming. Calmly I tell him that I want the car fixed to it's original factory condition and he offers to remove the film. I tell him to take it off but I'm so mad that I can't even stay in the room while they remove it. 10 minutes later he has me come back into the garage to inspect it. Now I'm furious, the scratch from the razor blade starts at the rear of the door and ends at the rear of the wheel well, over three feet long. He says a good body shop can wet sand it and buff it out. I told him a good body shop can also repaint the entire area and I will only have it painted at an authorized Chevy dealership. He didn't seem happy, I didn't care. I refuse to have thinner paint than when I brought it to him.

Now the icing on the cake.....I bring the car home and check the area that had just been repainted, yup, the paint is gone. So now the dealership also gets to paint my rocker panel a second time courtesy of my clear bra installer. Bottom line is this, ask questions every time you're dealing with a business even if you've had a good repoire with them previously. In this case he told me this was going to be a custom install. He didn't explain that a custom install meant using a razor blade on my car. If he would have told me that in the first place I wouldn't have allowed it. How stupid of me, I thought a custom install meant he would use his ten thousand dollar computer to custom cut the pieces he needed. And, last but not least, he allowed his son who was obviously too incompetent to tackle this type of install on his own. The owner told me he is insured and will cover the repairs, I'm sure it'll be expensive but I demand that my car be in the exact condition as it was before I brought it to them. I know that the dealers body shop rate is $95/hr and, although covered under warranty, was a $450 job the first time. How ironic that a place that installs protective film causes more damage to my vehicle than rocks would have. Maybe next I can find a detailer who'll wax my car with a brick.

Last edited by Bobk; 02-18-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Bobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
nebchevy

Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
Dude i couldnt read all that... ever hear of paragraphs??
nebchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Bobk

In fact I have, and I attempted to use them but being my first post I couldn't get it to work.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
well, sorry to say it, but he put a rookie on the job, and likely a great installer could modify the software drawing to precut the piece.
it takes years to be able to cut partially thru product on a car without going thru.
if they woulda aced the install, you never would looked twice, either, just sayin.
the product works great, in the hands of a pro......
camaro isnt the easiest car out there, and my wife and daughter both work for me, i pick and choose what cars/portions of cars they work on.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
3 days after paintwork is WAY TO SOON to be applying film! The paint hasn't cured and is why it came off when the film was removed and most likely why it scratched when trimming the film.

If you told him about the very new paintwork then shame on him. If not, then shame on you....

Sorry all this happened to you but this is def a live and learn moment....
Old 02-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Bobk

Not me, shame on him, I told him. The area where he cut wasn't painted. Only touched up in the gap between the rocker panel and the quarter panel.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobk View Post
Not me, shame on him, I told him. The area where he cut wasn't painted. Only touched up in the gap between the rocker panel and the quarter panel.
Cool, then he has to fix it!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
This is a sign of a rookie installer. Anyone who has done this any length of time knows to wait 30 days before applying film. Also there are patterns out there that cover the area needed without cutting on the car. I either use a precut kit for those areas or if requested will make a custom pattern for the car, transfer it to the film, and then apply it. There shouldnt be any cutting on the paint. Atleast this guy is paying for the repairs... I have heard numerous stories of the installer not covering it.

Once you get the car back and the paint has cured, shoot me a PM and I will send you the film for the gills. It is a MUST for this car and you could probably install it yourself. That area is not too tough to do. If you have any more issues feel free to PM me and I will be happy to help you out.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
Ghost armor is nice but how much does it cost ? You can get your front bumper completely repainted probably cheaper than having ghost armor put on it. Just saying.

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
NYJETSFAN
El Hefe

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS
It was a bit long, but worth reading. I had a similar incident happen with my tinted windows. Tint was applied uneven, idiot used a razor to remove the tint and ended up scratching the glass from one side to the other and told me he did not do it as I am watching him do it.
NYJETSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebchevy View Post
Dude i couldnt read all that... ever hear of paragraphs??
Really? That's your response? Pathethic. The guy is ranting. If you can't read, skip along
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by klatterblast View Post
Ghost armor is nice but how much does it cost ? You can get your front bumper completely repainted probably cheaper than having ghost armor put on it. Just saying.
It depends. Some colors are harder to match than others. Not to mention you have to live wit the chips until you decide to respray. Then you will be without the car for an extended period of time waiting on the paint to be done... all while hoping it matches perfectly. If it doesnt the next owner will assume it was resprayed because of a wreck... decreasing resale value. And to top it off you will have chips starting from day one after the respray. So really what is the better value for someone who wants to keep their car looking new???
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
the rear gill is a custom cut every time because clear bra companies don't have a pre-cut film fabricated for it yet. my installer also used a razor blade when he cut it, no problems there. you just have to make sure the installer is capable. it's unfortunate it didn't work out for you that way. had i been in the same position, it would have been hard to tell the owner that you didn't want his son working on it.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
It depends. Some colors are harder to match than others. Not to mention you have to live wit the chips until you decide to respray. Then you will be without the car for an extended period of time waiting on the paint to be done... all while hoping it matches perfectly. If it doesnt the next owner will assume it was resprayed because of a wreck... decreasing resale value. And to top it off you will have chips starting from day one after the respray. So really what is the better value for someone who wants to keep their car looking new???
I wish I had looked you up two years ago. Now I have to wait to repaint then do clear bra. Oh well, live and learn.