Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
the rear gill is a custom cut every time because clear bra companies don't have a pre-cut film fabricated for it yet. my installer also used a razor blade when he cut it, no problems there. you just have to make sure the installer is capable. it's unfortunate it didn't work out for you that way. had i been in the same position, it would have been hard to tell the owner that you didn't want his son working on it.
I got mine done in 2010 with venture shield and it was cut on the machine like every other part. Bottom line is the installer was the problem, as well as the OP for not telling them he had fresh paint on the car.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
SmokinBills 2SS

Drives: 2SS Cammed up, Clear Bra, Clean
Quote:
the rear gill is a custom cut every time because clear bra companies don't have a pre-cut film fabricated for it yet. my installer also used a razor blade when he cut it, no problems there. you just have to make sure the installer is capable. it's unfortunate it didn't work out for you that way. had i been in the same position, it would have been hard to tell the owner that you didn't want his son working on it.
My plotter can most any shape. you just have to understand your software in your computer. STOP LETTING THE PAINT PROTECTION SHOPS USE A BLADE ON YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Make sure they have a plotter/cutter and know how to make custom patterns on it as well as the software patterns provided.

SmokinBills 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
Bobk

Drives: 2012 V6 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpimp00 View Post
I got mine done in 2010 with venture shield and it was cut on the machine like every other part. Bottom line is the installer was the problem, as well as the OP for not telling them he had fresh paint on the car.
I did tell him I had fresh paint.
Bobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
I have the pattern for that area. It covers from the door to the top of the wheel well. Its been out since the car was released.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
Bobk

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
I have the pattern for that area. It covers from the door to the top of the wheel well. Its been out since the car was released.
Can you post the price for tis pattern?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #20
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobk View Post
Can you post the price for tis pattern?
I cant openly post the price in the forum but you can PM me for it.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #21
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
there was no such pattern for the XPEL at the time of my install, and i wanted XPEL because it has the self-correction capabilities. so the result was the guy had to cut it on my car. though he only charged me $75 to do the gills, and my guess would be that it is much more expensive pre-cut since he just used a leftover sheet so didn't have to pay xpel to cut more film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinBills 2SS View Post
My plotter can most any shape. you just have to understand your software in your computer. STOP LETTING THE PAINT PROTECTION SHOPS USE A BLADE ON YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Make sure they have a plotter/cutter and know how to make custom patterns on it as well as the software patterns provided.
i really don't see the big deal for using a razor on your car as long as the installer knows what he is doing. the guy that did mine did not scratch or touch the paint at all on my car, and i am very particular about my paint and would notice if he had.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #22
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
That sucks, but at least in the end everything should be fixed. Be sure all of it is documented from start to finish... just b/c he says hes insured doesn't necessarily mean its gonna be smooth sailing.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #23
Bobk

It was repaired but it had to be repainted. Luckily they didn't have to remove the rear windows or windshield like they originally thought they would. The dealership did an excellent repair but I'm sure my clear bra installer wasn't too happy. Even after giving him a courtesy discount for being a businessman it still cost him $968.75 If he's smart he won't be doing anymore cutting on the cars until they're better at it.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #24
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Wow that blows! I had a mobile installer do my front end for $400 bucks and I couldn't be happier. I guess it all comes down to the skill of the guy.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #25
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
3 days after paintwork is WAY TO SOON to be applying film! The paint hasn't cured and is why it came off when the film was removed and most likely why it scratched when trimming the film.

If you told him about the very new paintwork then shame on him. If not, then shame on you....

Sorry all this happened to you but this is def a live and learn moment....
+1

When I read the opening part (where you mentioned this) I said, oh *****.

FWIW, I have seen this so many times on exotic cars costing 200k (the razor marks), its sickening. I hope they make it right. I would also look at loss of value for having it repainted.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote