Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
GM mentions possible return of Pontiac via Facebook..

I for one would be ecstatic!, as long as they dont do the whole Pontiac "G" series again. ugh, biggest mistake ever imo.

http://gmauthority.com/forum/discuss...again#Item_115

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I actually like the G6 and G8. The G3 and G5 were rather dull.

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
DaBears

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester, 2010 Equinox
I'll believe this when i see it. Honestly I dont see a good reason to bring it back. One reason GM went bankrupt was because they had too many stupid brand names. Granted Pontiac was one of the cooler brands.

I simply dont see many good reasons to bring it back and spend capital on it.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
That looks like a Pontiac enthusiast, not a GM insider. I'd love to see a return of Pontiac as a niche brand, but GM has much bigger fish to fry these days. All the money it would cost to basically restart the business side of things—hiring designers, buying office space, negotiating factory production, etc.—needs to be directed toward GM's existing products. GM needs to produce efficient products and do its best to maintain performance along the way. The years ahead are going to be a battle between efficiency and performance, and I don't see how a performance-oriented brand is going to contribute to GM's business success right now. Even if GM had the buyers to make Pontiac profitable, there's the CAFE score to consider. In other words, a successful, performance niche-oriented Pontiac division is bad for GM because it would cost GM millions in the form of fines, taxes, and other charges.

In order to bring back Pontiac, GM needs to prioritize efficiency. When GM is the go-to manufacturer for small, efficient vehicles, only then can GM consider expanding its boundaries as a performance manufacturer. That means we're probably going to see very few new performance products out of GM in the near future, aside from redesigns and slated engineering changes to existing platforms. Expect to see Camaros and Corvettes in GM's future, not Firebirds, Trans Ams, and GXPs.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
So a bunch of posters on an independent (re: not official) GM forum are discussing Pontiac?

Yawn.

Padre (wants a GTO!)

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
dgformula2k
lurker

Drives: 2000 Firebird Formula
I see the dead horse is back. Where's my club?
dgformula2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
It was via "Gm Authority" on Facebook. Yes I realize it may not actually be "Authority" but perhaps they have ties with them enough to pursuade them to bring it back...
don't get me wrong, the G series vehicles were fine, it was the Names of them that i had an issue with.
the G8 is a beast of a car.

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Under their title badge it clearly says:
"The Ultimate Independent authority for everything General Motors"
Old 01-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
jcamere94z28

Drives: None
As much as I like Pontiac.... its seriously not gonna happen. That website is a blog from GM fans. They probably hold no power over anything over at GM. It would be nice but probably not business smart for GM to do.
jcamere94z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
That GM didn't sell Pontiac is a disappointment. Roger Penske backed out on buying Saturn, but I bet he would have jumped on the idea of buying Pontiac and, in my opinion, he would have produced a performance car that would beat the competition. I would love to see Pontiac return even though I've never owned one.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
It was via "Gm Authority" on Facebook. Yes I realize it may not actually be "Authority" but perhaps they have ties with them enough to pursuade them to bring it back...
don't get me wrong, the G series vehicles were fine, it was the Names of them that i had an issue with.
the G8 is a beast of a car.
A quick visit over to QuantCast.com tells me that Camaro5 probably has more influence at General Motors than GM Authority does. And as proud as I am with our site, realistically, we have very little influence over GM ... and we're (mainly) only talking about 1 car here.

As for the G-series names, the G6 and G8 had a reason behind them. The G6 was the Grand Am: 6th Generation, while the G8 was the Grand Prix: 8th Generation. The problem was the G3 and G5 which made absolutely no sense and were probably just chosen because there were smaller than the G6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
That GM didn't sell Pontiac is a disappointment. Roger Penske backed out on buying Saturn, but I bet he would have jumped on the idea of buying Pontiac and, in my opinion, he would have produced a performance car that would beat the competition. I would love to see Pontiac return even though I've never owned one.
The problem with selling Pontiac, or Saturn, or Saab, or Hummer is was those brands had little to no engineering or manufacturing resources. So unless you're a big manufacturer with engineers to spare and manufacturing plants being idled, those brands are worthless.

The Penske deal with Saturn fell apart because Nissan/Renault wouldn't commit to providing Penske with cars.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Highly doubt it.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
I'll believe this when i see it. Honestly I dont see a good reason to bring it back. One reason GM went bankrupt was because they had too many stupid brand names. Granted Pontiac was one of the cooler brands.

I simply dont see many good reasons to bring it back and spend capital on it.
Yeah, that would be an awesome way to help reverse all the progress GM has made in the last 5 years!

There seem to be so many people that car about the name more than anything, but when it comes down to dollars, it's never worth it for the company. I liked the last Grand Prix body style, GTO was kinda cool, even if it was all FWD, saw a V8 Bonneville today (not sure what the diff was tho, haha) and even that last body style wasn't too bad compared to the horrible previous one, but at the end of the day these were not great cars and a GM G8 would make me just as happy compared to being called a Pontiac, and if there's no room in the lineup, it's ridiculous to make an entirely different brand for them. In business I'd say it's the exact opposite of what you would want to do, you are trying to find a market for a product, rather than find a product for a market.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
jandaseve

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 1SS/RS Hurst
Could'nt they bring back cars under the GMC name if they really wanted to? i.e. GMC Trans Am, GMC GTO, etc. I know GMC is primarily a truck brand, but they do make "crossover" vehicles. And the El Camino sister car (can't remember the name right now), that's debatable on being a truck or car. I think the El Camino look alike actually had two names, started as one model in the 70s, and changed names in the 80s. But anyway, the reason I ask is the rumored "Chrysler Cuda" comes to mind. If Chrysler can consider re-using old plymouth model names then why can't GM do it with pontiacs or even olds'.
jandaseve is offline   Reply With Quote