Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 PM   #71
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Ha. If that happens, it should certainly surpass the GT500 in performance, but I think it would also mean it would significantly surpass it in MSRP, too.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #72
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Ha. If that happens, it should certainly surpass the GT500 in performance, but I think it would also mean it would significantly surpass it in MSRP, too.
hahaha yeah..
i dont understand why though..
i got my 2.4L 4cyl from 222wHP stock to 380wHP. Ran it at that for 50K miles then at 420wHP for last 30K miles before I sold with no problems. Power mods only costed $5,200 on top of car..
so how hard is it to get a 5L or 6.2L engine to produce 510wHP (600HP)
put two of those 4cyl together u got 444wHP stock and 760wHP what I ran it at modded.. brand new the engine long block costed $1,800
I think ford and GM ripping us off LoL..

Has there been any new news on the Z28. Last I heard there was talks that GM might put it back in the works.
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:24 PM   #73
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
What makes you think the 2012 GT500 will only have 550hp?
Even if it does, a 550hp Z28 will not take it. Too much weight difference now that the GT500 has gone to a aluminum block. Anything short of LS9 or tweaked up LSA will mean failure in my mind for the upcoming Z28. I just dont see how they could lose the weight out of the Z28 to match the GT500 without using exotic parts and driving the cost way up if using the stock LSA. If I were in charge of building this car I would have a target hp goal of 580-600 FWHP. I would also make it exactly the same cost as the Shelby and not a penny more. These would be the rules of succes for the new Z28 me thinks. No one is going to buy the new Z28 if it is not at least dead even with the GT500.(outside of total brand loyalty anyway) All this talk of a LS7 is something I dont want to see because it will for sure fall short. Could they make a 550hp-600hp LS7? Most certainly. Will it pass the new CAFE, emission, and mpg standards? most certainly not. The new motor will have to be supercharged or turbocharged in order to meet the hp and mpg, emission goals.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:59 AM   #74
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
Hey, I would buy the Z28 over the GT500 no matter if it's faster or not. I'm a Camaro guy all the way! When am I going to race a GT500 anyway? And even if the stars line up and I'm beside one at a red light, I probably wouldn't light 'em up 99 times out of a 100. Having 500+ HP under my right foot is going to be a blast no matter what! The Z28 will be a great car if they build it anywhere near what the rumors are. I for one, can't wait to see how it really ends up. Come on GM, quit screwing with us and give us some facts!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #75
SweetSandMan

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS
I honestly hope that it is not supercharged. If it is...there will be such a large gap between the SS and the Z28 that I think it would seem out of place. I mean the SS already makes over 420 hp...if they give the Z28 500+..it would be like the GT500...the difference is...Ford doesn't currently make a car higher up in performance than the GT500...Chevy does. There's 3 different variants of the Corvette (C6, Z06, and ZR1). If they made the Z28 Camaro with 500+...I feel like there would be too much in brand competition and it would cost too much...but who knows. I think they should do what they did with the upper level 4th gen Camaros and just do added on SLP parts and give it a more aggressive tuning to put it around 450hp...but what do I know.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #76
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
Even if it does, a 550hp Z28 will not take it. Too much weight difference now that the GT500 has gone to a aluminum block. Anything short of LS9 or tweaked up LSA will mean failure in my mind for the upcoming Z28. I just dont see how they could lose the weight out of the Z28 to match the GT500 without using exotic parts and driving the cost way up if using the stock LSA. If I were in charge of building this car I would have a target hp goal of 580-600 FWHP. I would also make it exactly the same cost as the Shelby and not a penny more. These would be the rules of succes for the new Z28 me thinks. No one is going to buy the new Z28 if it is not at least dead even with the GT500.(outside of total brand loyalty anyway) All this talk of a LS7 is something I dont want to see because it will for sure fall short. Could they make a 550hp-600hp LS7? Most certainly. Will it pass the new CAFE, emission, and mpg standards? most certainly not. The new motor will have to be supercharged or turbocharged in order to meet the hp and mpg, emission goals.
Words of reason - FINALLY!!! Many people keep spouting about LS7 and it would be the best choice and easily make more power and such; getting that power, while passing all of the requirements listed above would likely not be possible. I feel like I've been posting that since early discussions of Z28 began popping up I'd take a DI 6.2, but it'd have to be making at least 500 FWHP and compete at least on par with the then current GT500. Let's face it - with the GT500 getting the new stronger and lighter block, it's only going to get faster in a couple years. I'm thinking Z28 has to at least come with LSA and get dang close to 580 FWHP to remain competitive. I wouldn't have anything to complain about if Z28 arrives along those lines, because though it might not have the full power potential the GT500 has, slapping the usual easy SC bolt-ons, I'll be in the power range that I'm looking for. I just hope that they improve the handling to help justify the IRS Camaro comes standard with; I'm tired of those pesky Track Pack Mustangs giving us the finger, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSandMan View Post
I honestly hope that it is not supercharged. If it is...there will be such a large gap between the SS and the Z28 that I think it would seem out of place. I mean the SS already makes over 420 hp...if they give the Z28 500+..it would be like the GT500...the difference is...Ford doesn't currently make a car higher up in performance than the GT500...Chevy does. There's 3 different variants of the Corvette (C6, Z06, and ZR1). If they made the Z28 Camaro with 500+...I feel like there would be too much in brand competition and it would cost too much...but who knows. I think they should do what they did with the upper level 4th gen Camaros and just do added on SLP parts and give it a more aggressive tuning to put it around 450hp...but what do I know.
I just don't understand this train of thought. Why would one want to limit the potential of a car deliberately? Camaro is not Corvette. This whole post and similar ones like it in the past just make no sense, IMVHO.

Respectfully...
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #77
SweetSandMan

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I just don't understand this train of thought. Why would one want to limit the potential of a car deliberately? Camaro is not Corvette. This whole post and similar ones like it in the past just make no sense, IMVHO.

Respectfully...
I know it's not a Corvette...but How much do you think they are going to charge for a Z28 that has an engine like that in it and power like that?

I'm gussing it would be north of 45k...I just don't think the people in the market for a Camaro are willing to spend that much. I could be wrong...but Ford fans don't have a choice with the Ford GT no longer being produced...if they want to stay Ford and get the most performance, the GT500 is the only choice currently. If Chevy fans want the most performance..they can get any variant of a Corvette.

And with how good looking and well equipped a 2SS is...they would REEAAALLLYY have to do something special to justify the 45k+ price tag that a Camaro with that engine would more than likely cost.
I could be way off base....but I just don't see why they would make THAT big of a gap powerwise between the Z28 and the SS. And IIRC...the SS was always the "faster" of the 2 models.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #78
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Its a smaller gap than between the Mustang GT and the GT500, and a much smaller gap than between the CTS and the CTS-V.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #79
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
Quote:
I know it's not a Corvette...but How much do you think they are going to charge for a Z28 that has an engine like that in it and power like that?

I'm gussing it would be north of 45k...I just don't think the people in the market for a Camaro are willing to spend that much. I could be wrong...but Ford fans don't have a choice with the Ford GT no longer being produced...if they want to stay Ford and get the most performance, the GT500 is the only choice currently. If Chevy fans want the most performance..they can get any variant of a Corvette.

And with how good looking and well equipped a 2SS is...they would REEAAALLLYY have to do something special to justify the 45k+ price tag that a Camaro with that engine would more than likely cost.
I could be way off base....but I just don't see why they would make THAT big of a gap powerwise between the Z28 and the SS. And IIRC...the SS was always the "faster" of the 2 models.
I would be shocked if it's less than high $40's or low 50's.
Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms and toe rods
Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #80
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:

It's my opinion they're going to price it around what a GT500 goes for with probably a similar premium that SS has over the GT. I, personally, have no problem with the idea of that, because I think Camaro comes with goodies that the Mustang doesn't that sustifies the premium. It just looks like my thinking is opposite of yours, whereas I think a person who could afford Z28 would still take it over a base Corvette. What makes me think that is looking at all those people who have tune cars (i.e. Tony Henry, Lingenfelter, Hennessey, etc.) that are spending upwards of $45K on mod'd SSs; they aren't spending that money on Corvettes, so I just happen to think that a person in the position of being able to afford Z28 will spend it there, and not on Corvette. I know if I'm in the position, my money would stay with Camaro.

JMVHO though...
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #81
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
^ I agree with radz282003.
Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms and toe rods
Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #82
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Words of reason - FINALLY!!! Many people keep spouting about LS7 and it would be the best choice and easily make more power and such; getting that power, while passing all of the requirements listed above would likely not be possible. I feel like I've been posting that since early discussions of Z28 began popping up I'd take a DI 6.2, but it'd have to be making at least 500 FWHP and compete at least on par with the then current GT500. Let's face it - with the GT500 getting the new stronger and lighter block, it's only going to get faster in a couple years. I'm thinking Z28 has to at least come with LSA and get dang close to 580 FWHP to remain competitive. I wouldn't have anything to complain about if Z28 arrives along those lines, because though it might not have the full power potential the GT500 has, slapping the usual easy SC bolt-ons, I'll be in the power range that I'm looking for. I just hope that they improve the handling to help justify the IRS Camaro comes standard with; I'm tired of those pesky Track Pack Mustangs giving us the finger, lol.
I guess I'm late to the party on this thread and after vader and your post there isn't much else left to say. I agree with both of you 100%. Finally two smart voices of reason.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #83
RedJewelSS

Drives: six in a row makes it go
id be happy with a smaller displacement, modular, supercharged motor. basically a gt500 with irs. i know im dreaming but i would like to see it.
1989 F-150 4x4/300 I6/M5ODR2
1982 mustang. 351W/414stroker C4 9" rear. bracket racer
1977 F-100 5.9L 12V Cummins conversion/NV5600
RedJewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #84
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
i say scrap the z28 and make the bad boy " camaro like car " a firehawk.

any i can see a supercharger, gm seems to like slappin on boost to performance models these days.
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote