Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Nycteus

Drives: 2000 Ford Taurus (Vulcan /sadface)
Custom Tuned..... for Fuel Efficiency?

While I don't own my camaro yet, my future "wish list" consists of the 2SS (waiting for the Gen V Engine specs) with some sort of forced air intake. I'm an engineer that handles very powerful electronic motors in the range of 3000 - 6000 and upwards of 37.5k horsepower. So my mentality and desire always leans towards higher power without the cost of efficiency. Hopefully this will explain why I have the question I'm about to put forward.

While most gearheads put super/turbochargers on their vehicles and get custom tunes to maximize their torque and horsepower... I was wondering if there are any shops out there that will tune your vehicle for low-rpm fuel efficiency?

Quite honestly 420+ hp is more than I'll ever need for 95% of my driving distance, so I'd like to see increased mpg's for those 95% of the time. Then, since I will only be gunning the engine for 5% of total driving time it won't matter if my engine isn't maximized for the higher rpms.

I'm sure Chevy's stock tune attempts to maximize the fuel efficiency at those low rpms, but would you be able to increase your fuel efficiency with a custom tune?
Nycteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
A custom tune is a custom tune--just depends on what you want. The real question is, is it possible to out-do the stock tune in terms of fuel efficiency?

The other question is, why would you want a 2SS if you're looking to de-tune anyhow? Would a V6 RS car not suffice? Or is it about having a V8 for the feeling and sound, just to know you've got it on tap? --That's kind of where I'm at most days.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Custom tune it in the form of a V6. 312 HP is more than I ever use and when I did use it it sends chills down my spine. Awesome power with the 6 speed tranny.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Nycteus

I definitely want the V8 just to know that the power (and as you mentioned, the sound) is there if it needs to be called upon.

I'm 100% ignorant on how a tune is done. Is there just a preset library of fuel mapping that's uploaded or is there an actual computer program that is run that uploads your "maximized" fuel map? Also, is there a setting on such a program for "optimize fuel efficiency?"
Old 01-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
A custom tune is a custom tune--just depends on what you want. The real question is, is it possible to out-do the stock tune in terms of fuel efficiency?

The other question is, why would you want a 2SS if you're looking to de-tune anyhow? Would a V6 RS car not suffice? Or is it about having a V8 for the feeling and sound, just to know you've got it on tap? --That's kind of where I'm at most days.
just to add... many V8 cars already have the low-rpm fuel efficiency tune (switching from 8 cylinders to 4 cylinders on the fly)
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Your over thinking this and want a V8 for all the wrong reasons.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycteus View Post
I definitely want the V8 just to know that the power (and as you mentioned, the sound) is there if it needs to be called upon.

I'm 100% ignorant on how a tune is done. Is there just a preset library of fuel mapping that's uploaded or is there an actual computer program that is run that uploads your "maximized" fuel map? Also, is there a setting on such a program for "optimize fuel efficiency?"
you can have several tunes and switch from one to the other, up to you. But are you willing to sacrifice your 5 year drivetrain warranty for little savings in mpg? You may save a few hundred $ in fuel cost in 5 years but 1 minor engine or tranny work that is not covered by warranty nullifies that.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Just leave it stock and put loud mufflers on it. Seriously.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Nycteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
5 year drivetrain warranty for little savings in mpg?
This may be an issue, I hadn't thought about it.
Quote:
You may save a few hundred $ in fuel cost in 5 years
My major concern is environmental and America's-Reliance-On-Petroleum that has me leaning towards a more fuel-efficient powerhouse. If everyone does their part, they will convince the auto-makers to adjust their product to support (optimized) E85 or (although a stretch) bio-diesels.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
A tune on a Stock Camaro will definitely get you increased gas mileage and it will run better too. I gained 3-4 mgh with an out of the box Diablo tune on a complely stock motor. If you're not worried about warranty issues is a great thing to do.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Quote:

My major concern is environmental and America's-Reliance-On-Petroleum that has me leaning towards a more fuel-efficient powerhouse. If everyone does their part, they will convince the auto-makers to adjust their product to support (optimized) E85 or (although a stretch) bio-diesels.
may I recommend a Tesla?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
Nycteus

Quote:
may I recommend a Tesla?
I would love one. Unfortunately we're not *quite* there yet.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #13
Scruffage

Drives: 2011 2ss Rs LS3 manual in black
Quote:

Maybe you should be looking at the Chevy Volt.
Scruffage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I like the direction we were headed. Big ass motors, 600 + hp ZR1s, affordable muscle cars....

If groups keep getting together and convincing the govt to make gas more expensive, CAFE's through the roof... we are going to wind up with pussified V6 Corvettes, that run on 3 cylinders and turn off at stop lights.

If that is what you want, buy a Prius or a Volt. But I'd prefer to have the vehicles I want still available, and not others opinions forced into my garage.

Modern cars are incredibly efficient. There are next to no tailpipe emissions, plenty of available fuel... muscle cars are a small percent of the equation that should be left alone.

If you want to see real polution and ineffeciency in the world, go over the China or India. It puts our little high hp muscle cars into perspective when your see and taste their air. Driving a 620 hp ZR1 around over in China would actually be cleaning the air.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote