Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #43
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
Part number for the new insulator is 20859337.
Thank you! I called my Dealer and they did not have a new number for it,which meant they would be installing the original again. He asked me if I could get the new number for him,lol.
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #44
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTG View Post
Thank you! I called my Dealer and they did not have a new number for it,which meant they would be installing the original again. He asked me if I could get the new number for him,lol.
The part number did NOT change, the part changed.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #45
SSTG

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The part number did NOT change, the part changed.
Oh, good to know. Thank you!
SSTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #46
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
For those still having the popping nose from the front, look at the spring and see if you can see where the powder coating is sraped off. On mine, it showed signs of hitting on the first big coil from the bottom, facing out. With the tire off, it should be staring right at you. The spring itself looked like it moved just a tad clockwise and was just barely hitting on the lower perch. We took the spring off, inspected, and reassembled, making sure everything was lined up. This was on the drivers side. On the passenger side, we looked at it with the wheel off and noticed that it looked like it hadn't moved but the first big coil from the bottom also has signs of scraping on the lower perch. After thinking about it we came to the conclusion that the powerdercoating made the diameter just big enough to hit the perch and make the nose when compressed over bumps. We took a pair of channel locks and slightly bent out the lower perch on both sides, just where it showed signs of hitting. Took it out for a drive and no more popping when going over bumps. That was last week and went over the speed bumps down the road and no sound at all, other than the shock compression swoosh sound. I can't say this is the answer for everyone, but it's what apparently fixed mine.

For the record, mine is a Nov/Dec 09 build with the black upper isolator.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #47
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
My car for over 23000 miles has never made a noise. Got to be the way some are fitted. Maybe try reinstalling them and grease them with bushing lube perhaps.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #48
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
For those still having the popping nose from the front, look at the spring and see if you can see where the powder coating is sraped off. On mine, it showed signs of hitting on the first big coil from the bottom, facing out. With the tire off, it should be staring right at you. The spring itself looked like it moved just a tad clockwise and was just barely hitting on the lower perch. We took the spring off, inspected, and reassembled, making sure everything was lined up. This was on the drivers side. On the passenger side, we looked at it with the wheel off and noticed that it looked like it hadn't moved but the first big coil from the bottom also has signs of scraping on the lower perch. After thinking about it we came to the conclusion that the powerdercoating made the diameter just big enough to hit the perch and make the nose when compressed over bumps. We took a pair of channel locks and slightly bent out the lower perch on both sides, just where it showed signs of hitting. Took it out for a drive and no more popping when going over bumps. That was last week and went over the speed bumps down the road and no sound at all, other than the shock compression swoosh sound. I can't say this is the answer for everyone, but it's what apparently fixed mine.

For the record, mine is a Nov/Dec 09 build with the black upper isolator.
Any chance you took some pics?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:53 PM   #49
Sevn86

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
My car for over 23000 miles has never made a noise. Got to be the way some are fitted. Maybe try reinstalling them and grease them with bushing lube perhaps.
Dude, you go through cars faster than I go through underware!!
1000 Initial Order 9/14/2009 - Classic Chevy Sugar Land
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 9/15/2009 - NPGV41.
2000 Order accepted by GM: 9/29/2009
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 9/30/2009 - TPW 10/26/09
3100 Sequenced:10/12/09
3300 Scheduled For Production:10/13/09
3400 Broadcast:10/22/09
3800 Produced:10/27/09
4000 Available To Ship:10/28/09
4200 Shipped:10/29/09
5000 Delivered To The Dealer:11/09/09
6000 Delivered To Customer:11/12/09
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #50
RedRocketSS
BSHU

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel SS
This is interesting. Nobody has been able to tell me why my car makes these popping/clunking noises since I installed the lowering springs.

Maybe I'll order the new isolators if their fairly cheap and see if it helps.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #51
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocketSS View Post
This is interesting. Nobody has been able to tell me why my car makes these popping/clunking noises since I installed the lowering springs.

Maybe I'll order the new isolators if their fairly cheap and see if it helps.
Less than $20 for two Chevrolet list price last I checked.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 AM   #52
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Any chance you took some pics?
Sorry, no pics. Didn't even think about this thread while we did it. It wasn't anything dramatic though. Just a light scraping of the powdercoat in one area. The "mod" wasn't anything dramatic either. Just a huge pair of channel locks and a very slight bend on the outer lip of the lower perch.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 11-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #53
JusticePete

Quote:
Sorry, no pics. Didn't even think about this thread while we did it. It wasn't anything dramatic though. Just a light scraping of the powdercoat in one area. The "mod" wasn't anything dramatic either. Just a huge pair of channel locks and a very slight bend on the outer lip of the lower perch.
How many miles on your SS?
Do you know the build date?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #54
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
How many miles on your SS?
Do you know the build date?
Just rolled 19k over and it's a Nov/dec 09 build. Not sure of the actual date. It does have the black upper insulator though.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 11-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #55
JusticePete

Quote:
Just rolled 19k over and it's a Nov/dec 09 build. Not sure of the actual date. It does have the black upper insulator though.
Good info so far. Can you please measure your ride heights at all four wheels? Your Camaro should be as empty as it was new with a 1/4 tank of fuel. It should be resting on the flattest surface you can find. Make sure the suspension is relaxed i.e. the front wheels should not be turned straight with the car not moving We measure rim to guard. Place the end of the tape on the lower rim lip. Measure up through the wheel center to the painted edge of the fender. Measuring in MM is good.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #56
ss/rssleeper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2
I had the same issue and all I can tell you is that when I installed Pfadt Adjustable Coilovers, the noise is gone. I got the same response from every dealership I took it to that the "bump" in the right front suspension is "normal" and every 2010 and 2011 Camaro. I don't think any abnormal noise is "normal" and Chevrolet should do a recall. If Chevrolet is saying other wise as in the thread above, then the dealerships are telling "us loyal customers" a different and discouraging message.
ss/rssleeper is offline   Reply With Quote