Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #15
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis View Post
So this is probably going to be a fairly lengthy post so fair warning. On my 2010 L99, I would like to have a shop put a supercharger package together for me and install it all obviously. Problemo numero uno, I'm in North Carolina and looking at the list of site vendors, there is one here in NC, I just don't ever see them post much on here (which I've only been here for a few months) but I've also never really seen any members talk about them either.

Second issue is the fact that I want a tough balance between plenty of horsepower/torque, on factory rods, pistons, crank, tranny, and rear end, but still keep it reliable and keep from rebuilding it every year. The car is not a daily driver, it gets driven AT MOST, three days a week. Its not going to be a track car, I might take it to the strip just to see what its capable of but it won't be an often occurrence.

This would be the first car that I've really been past the point of just bolt ons so I'm all ears to advice. What I have in mind is a supercharger system (Magnacharger, Whipple?), ported heads, upgraded valvetrain parts, custom camshaft, high flow fuel system, headers, high flow cats, Magnaflow Comp exhaust and then a tune obviously. I'm curious as to what this package would make to the wheels as I would LIKE to be 650-700 to the wheels. But again, I'm not sure if that is possible on the stock rotating assembly/driveline and if it will live for years.

Any and all help is absolutely appreciated
Hello, We are not in NC but we certainly can come up wit ha solution for you. Either have you bring or deliver the car to us or we can come and get it. We have several head, cam, header supercharged packages available.
We pride our self's on the drive ability and reliability of our packages.

Maybe something like this one?

http://youtu.be/F1JovZG40lw
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:02 PM   #16
MojoBodies

Drives: 2016 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livernois Motorsports View Post
Hello, We are not in NC but we certainly can come up wit ha solution for you. Either have you bring or deliver the car to us or we can come and get it. We have several head, cam, header supercharged packages available.
We pride our self's on the drive ability and reliability of our packages.

Maybe something like this one?

http://youtu.be/F1JovZG40lw
That is badass! I would love to have that on my SS.
MojoBodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #17
jrpimp00

Drives: '10 Black/IOM Camaro SS/RS
Dude, give RPM a call and have Martin @ Tick spec you out a cam and have RPM do the full isntall. Plenty of shops here in NC.
http://rpmmotorsportsnc.com/
http://www.tickperformance.com/
Old 03-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #18
WatchThis

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
This is why I love this forum so much, tons of people with information willing to help. I honestly have given much thought to doing a twin turbo build, the main reason I was leaning towards a supercharger was the fact that the power is always there when you punch the pedal, no lag at all like with a turbo set up. But I wouldn’t be opposed to a twin turbo setup if it would be easier and possibly cheaper to achieve my power goals that way.
Someone mentioned it earlier, I am starting from basically scratch, the car only has a cold air intake on it. So I really could go either way with the build considering it’s basically stock right now. If I was to do heads, cam (and lifters too I guess from what you guys have mentioned), headers, full exhaust and a tune, what would be the power difference as well as roundabout cost difference between a twin turbo car and a supercharged car with this setup/package?

WatchThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #19
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
On an auto there is no lag if you get the right size turbos. The tranny won't let you go too low in RPM to make them lag. It downshifts for you.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #20
Cool AirZ28

Drives: 2013 Black Camaro 2SS/RS Convert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis View Post
This is why I love this forum so much, tons of people with information willing to help. I honestly have given much thought to doing a twin turbo build, the main reason I was leaning towards a supercharger was the fact that the power is always there when you punch the pedal, no lag at all like with a turbo set up. But I wouldn’t be opposed to a twin turbo setup if it would be easier and possibly cheaper to achieve my power goals that way.
Someone mentioned it earlier, I am starting from basically scratch, the car only has a cold air intake on it. So I really could go either way with the build considering it’s basically stock right now. If I was to do heads, cam (and lifters too I guess from what you guys have mentioned), headers, full exhaust and a tune, what would be the power difference as well as roundabout cost difference between a twin turbo car and a supercharged car with this setup/package?
I started of wanting a SC kit too for my stock 2013 SS. I started reading all the threads about twins and realized that twins world get me to that 650-700 range without having to buy all those other needed parts to hit the hp mark with a SC. It made more sense to me to go the twins route. AGP is the way for me. I am making money disappear so fast to my secret account like a crack head so the wife doesn't flip out. I have to have it...
2013 Camaro 2SS/RS-Smoked tail lights and side markers, HID log lights, & LED lighting inside/outside the car, SJM LED Cupholder, SJM full dashboard ABL lighting, ZL1 Rockers, 1LE Splitter, Showstopper LED Mirrors, Showstopper LED Side Markers, & Showstopper Heat Extractor Hood, 20" Niche Concourse ZL1 Styled wheels 20X8.5 & 20X10 with 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 Nitto Invos, Black Gorilla Lug Nuts/Locks, Black Billet Elite Camaro License Plate Holder, and Hydro Dipped Speedo/Shifter/AC-Heat Bezels.
Cool AirZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:32 PM   #21
Ron_Robinson1

Drives: A Static line to a pack tray & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Ron_Robinson1
Talk to the guys at PCM of NC. They have always made sick rides and have a good reputation. Just because they aren't posting up a lot of threads, doesn't mean much.

If I was in NC, that would be my choice.
SOLD-2011 SS M6: Blower, Cam, Alky, LTs.
Ron_Robinson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:48 AM   #22
H-E
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
I'm in the Carolinas and would be glad to meet up with you and let you drive a Maggie powered camaro.You need to get a budget and get the most out of it.At the horsepower figure your quoting you would need $30000 easy to do it correctly, start with your budget and build for the future.If I can help you out let me know.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #23
JDG1LE

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
At the horsepower figure your quoting you would need $30000 easy to do it correctly
JDG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #24
WatchThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-E View Post
I'm in the Carolinas and would be glad to meet up with you and let you drive a Maggie powered camaro.You need to get a budget and get the most out of it.At the horsepower figure your quoting you would need $30000 easy to do it correctly, start with your budget and build for the future.If I can help you out let me know.

Whereabouts in NC are you located?

Old 03-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #25
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
If you take into account 700 RWHP, then the suspension, transmission, differential, axles, exhaust, and upper engine come into play.

The closer you get to 650 RWHP, you have pretty much bumped up against the limits of the car suspension/axels and other components. 400-500 RWHP and you already need to address the suspension.

So, $30k for what you need to consider (including labor) is not too far off. It all depends on the OP goals and what needs to be done.

OP, what's the highest RWHP you've had/owned? Is it possible 600 RWHP ok? Do you track or race? Have you ridden in a 500 to 600 RWHP car? They are pretty impressive when done correctly. Sometimes gearing can 'liven' up the cars performance.

Whether SC or Turbo, RWHP will have an affect on the other parts of the car. Need to plan for that. Sh** happens and anytime you push the limits, stuff breaks -- even new stuff. Talking to the various shops about your plans, budget, and your intentions will get you where you want, and need, to go.

Sometimes 'evolution' to your goals will help you plan better -- I went boltons, then suspension, then engine (cam/heads) -- once I knew for certain where I was finally going to be.

SC was not in my initial plans, but I did all the suspension work first, and when the opportunity came, I was able to jump on the SC deal and make it work. Very glad I did the suspension first -- didn't matter if I kept all boltons, turbos, or went SC...

Think it through, the excitement and 'speed bug' hits all of us -- you'll likely chase HP numbers forever as its 'never' enough ;o)...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #26
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Keep in mind that it takes 15% of engine power to run a blower. So you are stressing your parts 15% more all the time to get the same WHP we get out of turbos. We're talking 100whp at the power level you are talking about. It's a lot more stress. What I would recommend is a nice simple 650whp TT kit with nice small turbos that have next to no lag. I say stop at 650whp cause that's what your stock trans is good up to. This keeps it all nice simple strait forward, efficient, reliable and no pulling the engine apart needed. All you need is our base kit with the fuel options and you will be at 650whp, nothing else needed. With room to grow if you want to swap to a 6L90 trans you could bump up another 100whp.

Last edited by AGP Turbo; 03-06-2015 at 01:30 PM.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #27
WatchThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
If you take into account 700 RWHP, then the suspension, transmission, differential, axles, exhaust, and upper engine come into play.

The closer you get to 650 RWHP, you have pretty much bumped up against the limits of the car suspension/axels and other components. 400-500 RWHP and you already need to address the suspension.

So, $30k for what you need to consider (including labor) is not too far off. It all depends on the OP goals and what needs to be done.

OP, what's the highest RWHP you've had/owned? Is it possible 600 RWHP ok? Do you track or race? Have you ridden in a 500 to 600 RWHP car? They are pretty impressive when done correctly. Sometimes gearing can 'liven' up the cars performance.

Whether SC or Turbo, RWHP will have an affect on the other parts of the car. Need to plan for that. Sh** happens and anytime you push the limits, stuff breaks -- even new stuff. Talking to the various shops about your plans, budget, and your intentions will get you where you want, and need, to go.

Sometimes 'evolution' to your goals will help you plan better -- I went boltons, then suspension, then engine (cam/heads) -- once I knew for certain where I was finally going to be.

SC was not in my initial plans, but I did all the suspension work first, and when the opportunity came, I was able to jump on the SC deal and make it work. Very glad I did the suspension first -- didn't matter if I kept all boltons, turbos, or went SC...

Think it through, the excitement and 'speed bug' hits all of us -- you'll likely chase HP numbers forever as its 'never' enough ;o)...

-Don
Don,

I kind of had a feeling that the 650-700 mark would be about the limit of other parts which is why I set that as my goal. I'd like to make as much as possible without having to worry about my trans letting go, or grenading my rear end. I had already intended on doing heads, cam, valve train, headers and a full exhaust at the same time anyway with intentions of piecing together the suspension little by little as I go.

As far as the most horsepower heavy car I've owned, I'd have to say a 2nd gen Camaro with a 454 BB. I never put it on a dyno to know how much hp it made and I'm not going to throw out assumptions but you get the picture. And I definitely agree with you that gears make quite the difference as I have experienced that in my Jeep with 35's on it. I can only imagine regearing the SS.

This car will not be tracked as that is what I have my Ducati for, I don't feel the need to take my car to that level. Like I said earlier in the thread, I will probably take the car out to the local 1/4 mile just to see what it could be capable of but that will NOT be an often occurrence.

I completely understand your point of view and appreciate you helping me out. Trust me, I've been down that road before with one of my previous motorcycles that I turned into a track bike. I can't tell you how many parts I bought a second time because I didn't realize what my long term goal for it was from the get go. Learned a hard lesson from that one and won't make that mistake again. Horsepower in my opinion is something that you can never get enough of but there comes a point where either your budget limits it or other parts of the vehicle limit it. For me it's both, I think I have a fairly healthy budget to work with but as I said before, I want to keep it on the stock trans, rear end and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
Keep in mind that it takes 15% of engine power to run a blower. So you are stressing your parts 15% more all the time to get the same WHP we get out of turbos. We're talking 100whp at the power level you are talking about. It's a lot more stress. What I would recommend is a nice simple 650whp TT kit with nice small turbos that have next to no lag. I say stop at 650whp cause that's what your stock trans is good up to. This keeps it all nice simple strait forward, efficient, reliable and no pulling the engine apart needed. All you need is our base kit with the fuel options and you will be at 650whp, nothing else needed. With room to grow if you want to swap to a 6L90 trans you could bump up another 100whp.
When you word it like that, I'd say absolutely, let's make it happen, TAKE MY MONEY! That plan sounds perfect. One thing that a vendor on here told me relative to this issue is that superchargers are more common on street build and turbos for race builds partially due to the fact that if you lose a blower belt, you'll know it whereas if you drop a vacuum line on a turbo, you'll melt you motor down before you realize what happened. This fact is what makes me skittish about the twin turbo route. I like EVERYTHING you described and it seems to fit rather well with what I'm looking for, I just want to make sure it's a very reliable and livable combination.

Either way, I do like the way this thread is going, I'm learning quite a bit and it's getting me thinking about different avenues of approach Keep it comin'

Old 03-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #28
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
That's awesome -- you are certainly well informed and that is a big part of the battle. Whatever you do decide to do, I'm certain you'll be stoked.

I chose the LSA SC as my goals were mostly DD and street -- once in a while track. I went with the LSA as it was GM fit and finish, well established, and I knew I could get parts fairly quickly and from anywhere GM had a dealership (in a pinch ;o). Outside of a few BMR upgrades and a custom grind cam, I have GM 1LE upgrades and ZL1 parts -- again, I can get those from GM should I need to...

Sounds like the you have a ton of fun ahead of you -- can't wait to see where this goes...

Best of luck!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote