Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
HID replacement cost

Looking at the pics of the HID headlights, they look awesome, but I am curious, how much will they cost to replace when they burn out and how long do they last? Do you replace just a bulb or is it all one sealed unit that you would have to replace when it burns out?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
depends on what part needs replacement for cost. whole unit would prolly be 300 +/- you could probably get smaller portions of it for much less

but its very rare for them to burn out from what i heard so dont expect to have to replace it for a long time
Old 09-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
My brother's crossfire's headlamps are like $17 a side. But then, I don't know if that's an HID setup, his burn out pretty often, like once a year.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Looking at the pics of the HID headlights, they look awesome, but I am curious, how much will they cost to replace when they burn out and how long do they last? Do you replace just a bulb or is it all one sealed unit that you would have to replace when it burns out?
HIDs aren't filament bulbs like standard halogens which run on old fashioned 12 VDC. They are zenon gas filled sealed glass chambers that, when about 20,000 volts DC are applied, will illuminate the nice white color we all see and like. They work on the same principle that a flourescent light tube works, only the flourescent tube has the chemical phosphorous instead of the gas zenon.

If the chamber is cracked or shattered, obviously all the gas is gone and it must be replaced. Those aren't that expensive.

What costs the most are the 20,000 volt ballast that charge the lamp. They take the car's 12 VDC electrical supply and bump it up to the voltage required to fire the gas. If they go bad it's a few hundred bucks to replace one.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #5
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
HIDs aren't filament bulbs like standard halogens which run on old fashioned 12 VDC. They are zenon gas filled sealed glass chambers that, when about 20,000 volts DC are applied, will illuminate the nice white color we all see and like. They work on the same principle that a flourescent light tube works, only the flourescent tube has the chemical phosphorous instead of the gas zenon.

If the chamber is cracked or shattered, obviously all the gas is gone and it must be replaced. Those aren't that expensive.

What costs the most are the 20,000 volt ballast that charge the lamp. They take the car's 12 VDC electrical supply and bump it up to the voltage required to fire the gas. If they go bad it's a few hundred bucks to replace one.
Fastball is right on, I got a set of Angel Eye HIDs for my BMW for $300 that i'm lucky enough to have gotten a life time warranty of the ballasts

my friend w/ a S2000 wudn't believe me that they were HIDs till i showed him tho, because aparently for his car they run near $1k
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
So then I guess the next question is which part would be covered under warranty, I would think the bulbs would'nt be but hopefully the ballasts would be covered.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
I have never heard of a factory HID failing. I am sure they do but i suspect that it is very rare for all of the technical reasons listed above. Bulbs fail because the filament is fragile these have no fiament so it is very different.
I have heard of aftermarket HID systems having problems however.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I have never heard of a factory HID failing. I am sure they do but i suspect that it is very rare for all of the technical reasons listed above. Bulbs fail because the filament is fragile these have no fiament so it is very different.
I have heard of aftermarket HID systems having problems however.
So long as the sealed glass tube is never broken, the gas inside should last indefinitely. The ballasts, however, may burn out or short out over time. They run at incredibly high voltages and have high frequency oscilators which can burn out over time. But in general, they do last longer than standard halogens with 1890's technology filaments
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #9
fattyj

Drives: 2010 camaro ss coupe
every car i've had since 2000, i've converted to an hid system. and once you've driven at night with them, you'll never go back to a regular bulb... oh and i also haven't replaced an hid bulb yet. but as soon as i get my 2010 or 2011 camaro ss rs, i will pull out the stock hid bulbs and go with a slightly higher kelvin number bulb. maybe 7000 or 8000. but no more than 8000. the reason is that i like the the slightly bluer light on the road.
fattyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
fbird777
SOM WS6

Drives: 2002 SOM Trans Am WS6
Most of the time the ballast will not go out, both ballasts on my WS6 are water proof. The bulb for HID lighting will last 10 times longer than your standard halogen, which will probably be the life of the vehicle. Xenon>Halogen in lighting, durability, and safety. Trust me, 4th gens stock lighting SUCKED at night! The new Camaro will probably have a 4300 Kelvin bulb temperature which is a whiter light, I have 8000K on my WS6 and they emitt a blueish white which I prefer. I don't even use my halogen high beams because my xenon low beams are plenty bright and they are aimed properly. Either way you can't lose by switching to xenon lighting
fbird777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #11
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Think about it this way.

You'll pay about the same for any bulb over a lifetime. Halogens will require lots of replacement, so you pay for new bulbs. HIDs and LEDs need less replacement, but both are expensive to repair and replace.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote