Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Is the 5th gen going to be like the 93-97 LT1's?

Is the 6th gen Camaro going to be like the leap from the 93-97 LT1's to the 98-02 LS1's? I keep trying to convince myself it is worth the ~$10k savings to get a 2015 1LE over a 2016 2SS. I know the LS3 is a great engine, and you could argue it is more mod-friendly without the DI, but I just feel like the 6th gen is poised to really make the 5th gen somewhat irrelevant from a performance standpoint, especially stock.

I know many will say each new generation leaves the prior one in the dust, but the 2011-2014 Mustang GT is not very far behind the 2015 Mustang GT, but a 2005-2010 Mustang GT is definitely pretty far behind at this point.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
It's more powerful and lighter. There are serious discussions about hero runs in the 11s from the factory. To me, it's a pretty big difference that we can't just disregard claims like that as unrealistic.

With the increasing number of DI vehicles, and the fact that the C7 has been using the LT1 for a couple years, I would imagine mods will come quickly for the 6th gen.

The Mustang is different. It gained 15 or so hp, but it got heavier and kept the same transmission with the new generation, so the performance gap between generations is negligible.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Is the 6th gen Camaro going to be like the leap from the 93-97 LT1's to the 98-02 LS1's? I keep trying to convince myself it is worth the ~$10k savings to get a 2015 1LE over a 2016 2SS. I know the LS3 is a great engine, and you could argue it is more mod-friendly without the DI, but I just feel like the 6th gen is poised to really make the 5th gen somewhat irrelevant from a performance standpoint, especially stock.

I know many will say each new generation leaves the prior one in the dust, but the 2011-2014 Mustang GT is not very far behind the 2015 Mustang GT, but a 2005-2010 Mustang GT is definitely pretty far behind at this point.
I would say the jump will be close to for m6 cars.
On paper it was a 20hp bump for base v8 lt1 to ls1 (285 hp to 305). But it was realistically at least 50 hp. And the cars weighed the same pretty much. Now we are getting 30 hp and around 200 lb weight loss hopefully.

Auto for auto 5th to 6th gen will be an even greater leap than it was back in the day. + 55 hp, weight loss and a new 8 speed tranny. The L99 is going to get absolutely destroyed by the 6th gen. It really won't even be close. I'm not even sure bolt ons will be able to get them ahead.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:53 PM   #4
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
The LT to LS series was significant because of the motors. And thats prettymuch it. Nothing huge was changed.
The Gen 6 from Gen 5 will be MUCH MORE relevent. Its all encompassing. Its not just a "tweak" or improvement. They call it "Evolutionary". I agree. The 5th Gen is Beta, the 16 will be Alpha(no platform pun intended). I feel the 5th Gen will fade away with little fanfare. The expanse of improvements is just that impressive from what Ive seen. I LOVE 1LEs. I thought about buying one, also recently. I know I will regret it as soon as I see a 6th Gen.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #5
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Hmm... I guess I should have asked this question on camaro5 if I wanted anyone to try and sell me on the 5th gen as the better value.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
I can't remember, but don't think the 4th gen was a huge leap from the 3rd gen in the chassis dept. The 6th gen is a completely new animal under the skin with an equal jump in HP/TQ as the 3rd to 4th gen.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:00 PM   #7
Rocco70
THE YETI

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Hmm... I guess I should have asked this question on camaro5 if I wanted anyone to try and sell me on the 5th gen as the better value.
I don't think it will be as bad as everyone says 11 second yea right numbers aren't out and like the price people are going to be disappointed. I think it will be faster maybe half a second then the m6. If money is the issue I would go with the 15 it's a great car and the dealers are will to let them go cheap as the months go by. Pluse side you get a useable back seat you get a proven motor lt1 has issue do a search. The 5 th gen looks like a classic sport car and if you don't need all the crap the 6th gen comes with the 5th gen has just enough for what you need. If money is not a issue then go with the 6 gen But no one can tell you what a great car it is it's not proven yet.
Rocco70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:34 PM   #8
'01LS1

Drives: 2003 Pete
Quote:
There was a hyper blue 2016 going across 94 last week near Detroit. It was cloudy overcast weather & it definitely stood out in pretty dense traffic across the median.

Plenty of people are going to be in the same boat between a deal on a Gen 5 or spending more for an all new gen 6. Do not think anyone can guide one as to what to do as buyers remorse is much more expensive than buying what you really want the first time.
'01LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #9
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco70 View Post
I don't think it will be as bad as everyone says 11 second yea right numbers aren't out and like the price people are going to be disappointed. I think it will be faster maybe half a second then the m6. If money is the issue I would go with the 15 it's a great car and the dealers are will to let them go cheap as the months go by. Pluse side you get a useable back seat you get a proven motor lt1 has issue do a search. The 5 th gen looks like a classic sport car and if you don't need all the crap the 6th gen comes with the 5th gen has just enough for what you need. If money is not a issue then go with the 6 gen But no one can tell you what a great car it is it's not proven yet.
It's a good thing you have a 5th gen since you believe it's the far better car. People think it will run 11.99 as a hero run, not that it'll be running 11s all day. As in, maybe one person will hit 11.99. That's entirely possible. Are you saying that half a second in the 1/4 is insignificant? Ok. Obviously the car that has been around for the past 5 years is a proven car and the new, to be released car has not been proven yet. I don't see how you can use that as an argument against the 6th gen, but whatever.

You're probably right though, the car that weighs more, has less power, and is the outgoing model will probably still be the better car.

I honestly don't know what you have against the 6th gen, regret for not waiting to buy one, maybe? Enjoy your car.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #10
Rocco70
THE YETI

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
It's a good thing you have a 5th gen since you believe it's the far better car. People think it will run 11.99 as a hero run, not that it'll be running 11s all day. As in, maybe one person will hit 11.99. That's entirely possible. Are you saying that half a second in the 1/4 is insignificant? Ok. Obviously the car that has been around for the past 5 years is a proven car and the new, to be released car has not been proven yet. I don't see how you can use that as an argument against the 6th gen, but whatever.

You're probably right though, the car that weighs more, has less power, and is the outgoing model will probably still be the better car.

I honestly don't know what you have against the 6th gen, regret for not waiting to buy one, maybe? Enjoy your car.
Never said it was a better car just that it is a well put together car best selling camaro ever. I have nothing against the new one I think it over priced I'm sure it will be a well made car but that is not proven yet. If you think it's going to run in the 11 seconds your probly one of the guy who thought it would be under 40,000 for a 2ss. It would have been nice to see it loaded for around 45,000 minis all the crap we don't need added to a package we want. I don't need to kiss gm ass I've never owned anything but gm cars. The cars nice the interior is nice but the car will have issues selling at that price I can easily afford one but I'm not just throwing it away. Pay top dollar I'll wait and pay what the car is worth. He asked the question I gave my answers sorry it wasn't the answers you wanted to hear.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
I LOVE 1LEs. I thought about buying one, also recently. I know I will regret it as soon as I see a 6th Gen.
What I wanted to say exactly....

To OP: is 'fast lap on road course' the top priority, followed by significant savings? Then, 1LE would be great solution.
(I know 16 SS will be faster than 1LE but it will be pretty close, at much cheaper price)
If you are going to drive the car on street a lot, 6th Gen will be much better choice, even with 10K premium over '15 1LE.

Thought about 1LE, thought about ZL1, ended up with 16 2SS.
Like LessorO2evils said, I knew I would regret the decision every time I see 6th Gen, if I went with 5th Gen.
Sure ZL1 will be faster than 16, but I don't race it every day, and I want nicer interior, in which I'll spend about 1 hour of my time 4-5 days a week, for the next 4-5 years.

Choose whatever will make you happier, and don't look back. Enjoy the ride. Both are great options.
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco70 View Post
Never said it was a better car just that it is a well put together car best selling camaro ever. I have nothing against the new one I think it over priced I'm sure it will be a well made car but that is not proven yet. If you think it's going to run in the 11 seconds your probly one of the guy who thought it would be under 40,000 for a 2ss. It would have been nice to see it loaded for around 45,000 minis all the crap we don't need added to a package we want. I don't need to kiss gm ass I've never owned anything but gm cars. The cars nice the interior is nice but the car will have issues selling at that price I can easily afford one but I'm not just throwing it away. Pay top dollar I'll wait and pay what the car is worth. He asked the question I gave my answers sorry it wasn't the answers you wanted to hear.
It's not the best selling camaro ever. It's not even close actually. One small example from 1982 to 1987 the yearly sales were higher every single year compared to even the highest yearly sales the 5th gen ever recorded. The 67-69 1st gen sold nearly a quarter million units every model year.

If you add in/ consider firebird sales as well it's really lopsided. This time around no firebird even existed to take sales from the camaro.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:42 PM   #13
Rocco70
THE YETI

Ok just ment it sold very well I don't think the 6th will have its numbers In sales due to price. Look it's a great car I just don't think it's worth the 49,000 to 50,000 for the one I want. The gm prices are getting out of hand camaros cost what vets use to vets cost what z06 use to and z06 cost I don't know what lambo's use to its nuts.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #14
Rocco70
THE YETI

They use to call the camaro a poor mans vet not no more can't be poor to afford this car.