Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 07-29-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
Tha_Infamous_E

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Sell for profit/break-even?

Is it possible to tune a Camaro SS closer to 1K horsepower/torque and sell it at a profit/break-even of $50-$60K+?

Seen some guy on eBay currently listing his tuned 800hp Camaro SS for $110K on eBay currently that got me thinking...

Last edited by Tha_Infamous_E; 07-29-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Tha_Infamous_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:21 PM   #2
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
If you get super lucky you can get close to your money back is about it. If you find the right buyer. The mods you buy and install are instantly worth less themselves as they are used when you sell it

Typically you get next to nothing extra for a modded car and in some cases is a turn off to a majority of buyers. A really nice build will fetch a few grand more but nowhere near making a profit or even breaking even. You are also fighting the massive depreciation of the vehicle itself
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #3
Tha_Infamous_E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
If you get super lucky you can get close to your money back is about it. If you find the right buyer. The mods you buy and install are instantly worth less themselves as they are used when you sell it

Typically you get next to nothing extra for a modded car and in some cases is a turn off to a majority of buyers. A really nice build will fetch a few grand more but nowhere near making a profit or even breaking even. You are also fighting the massive depreciation of the vehicle itself
So, you believe a stock 455 HP+Torque Camaro SS with 0 miles will hold more value than the same Camaro SS with closer to 1K HP+Torque with about 30-50K miles? You don't see it selling for at-least around $50K-60K if it's well maintained and not abused?
Old 07-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Infamous_E View Post
So, you believe a stock 455 HP+Torque Camaro SS with 0 miles will hold more value than the same Camaro SS with closer to 1K HP+Torque with about 30-50K miles? You don't see it selling for at-least around $50K-60K if it's well maintained and not abused?
To the right buyer it could very well sell for more than a stock car. But making a profit will be very tough to do

I’ve sold modded Camaros twice in the past. I got a few thousand more over really clean stock or near stock that was it

To the right buyer I’d say a safe guess is that you can get maybe 50% out of your mod investment. So say a nice supercharger system costs you 7 grand. You might get another 3500 for the car.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:55 PM   #5
Tha_Infamous_E

Quote:
To the right buyer it could very well sell for more than a stock car. But making a profit will be very tough to do

I’ve sold modded Camaros twice in the past. I got a few thousand more over really clean stock or near stock that was it

To the right buyer I’d say a safe guess is that you can get maybe 50% out of your mod investment. So say a nice supercharger system costs you 7 grand. You might get another 3500 for the car.

I see, so it's definitely possible to break-even to an extent in that instance, but a little too difficult to come out with a profit.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
ULTRAZLS1

Well anything is possible if the right person wanted the certain build/car bad enough. But I wouldn’t ever bank on making a profit on a modded car
Old 07-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #7
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
If it's show car quality in all aspects then I'd say it should be worth way more than new as long as the miles are low. Now if the wiring is taped together the engine bay is scuffed up from working on it and has no street-ability because it was built and tuned strictly for the track then maybe not so much.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:23 AM   #8
Inkedmongo

Drives: 2ss
The value of any item is what a person is willing to pay, meaning yes if you found someone wanting what you have and willing to ask what you are asking for it then anything is possible.

You have to realize when you do any modification to your car whether it's performance, or aesthetic, you narrow your market demographic on who would be interested in the car.

On the performance side you now have to target people who lack any concern over warranties and be on board with the decision of mods you added, but would also wonder how well it was maintained, who did the wrench work etc.

On aesthetics people go with what they think looks good, and not everyone has the same taste. I always think of things like custom wraps, off color wheels, or chopping off the entire exhaust as big things people would have a hard time selling.

Car ownership is an expense, not an investment, especially when adding aftermarket parts and accessories.
Inkedmongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
I am struggling to give mine away at $45k with 830rwhp (1000 flywheel) :(

All done by a very reputable shop.
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
It’s very tough to break even or turn a profit for any car that’s:

1) Still in production
2) Isn’t nearing collectible status

Buying any modern mass produced car and viewing it as an investment is a crap shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #11
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Lol, op must be young.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #12
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
The only way a 6th gen is going to sell for over $100k is if it is a Yenko.....
Old 07-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #13
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
Quote:

This is a very accurate assessment of the value of a modified vehicle.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:38 PM   #14
DatBrotato

Drives: '18 SS 1LE M6
You can't fight the depreciation on these cars and expect to win.

I've sold 1 modified car for a (barely)profit.

It was
A: Out of production for 10 years
B: Limited release
C: Very low miles
D: Fully built and right out of the shop.
EvoIX RS w/15k miles