Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #29
shan1997

Drives: 2013 Red Hot Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT10 View Post
If the tow company damaged it, have them replace it.
It was already hanging on one side but after the tow it was on the
Ground
shan1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:56 AM   #30
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Manual says our Camaros are suppose to be Flat Bedded if I remember correctly.
Yes, I know, and most wreckers these days are flatbed. However not wheel lift.

I was not referring to damage from slings, but from winching a Camaro onto a flatbed wrecker.

If you look under the front (you will have to lie down for this or drive up on a ramp), you will see two longitudinal beams in the front clip. They have longitudinal oval shaped holes with rolled edges. These are the attachment points for frame hooks used to winch the car. They are higher than the air dam, so that the straps of the brindle are going to squash the air deflector.

Here's a brindle: https://www.truckntow.com/vulcan-pro...oogle_shopping

As for the advice to call a wheel lift, that is not a practical suggestion in many cases. In particular, on many toll roads, like the NY State Thruway or the Mass Pike, there is ONE tow company authorized to recover vehicles on that road. Also in the middle of nowhere, you won't have a choice. You can only hope that the tow truck operator is prepared and knowledgeable. Browse Youtube and you will see some examples of unskilled tow truck operators hooking onto control arms or other suspension parts instead of the frame. It's not pretty!

The air deflector is very flexible and may survive being bent over by a strap. Also the plastic fasteners and thin flexible washers may give out. As someone already pointed out, that's what they're supposed to do, to avoid tearing the front fascia. Replacing these with sheet metal screws and rigid washers is the worst sort of bubba mechanics and could end up costing you a thousand buck, not 7 bucks.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #31
DK68

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro 2SS 1LE
I believe Waremaster is correct as I took what was left hanging of mine off yesterday. There was a rain storm and ran over something in the road hidden by the water. When I pulled the what was left hanging off, a plastic pin/screw came with it. I have not have the chance to jack it up and see what is needed to put it back on.
Thanks all for you input on the correct function of the part.
DK68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #32
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shan1997 View Post
I’m not sure what it’s called but the black strip that
Runs along the bottom of my Chevy camaro is coming off.
It was already slightly loose but I had to have my car towed
Recently and it’s hanging off now due to them hooking it up
To their truck. Do I need this part or should I take it off? And if
I leave it on, what would be the best most economical way to re attach it.
It seems like it’s missing several of the little bolts that go along there to
Connect the black piece. Anyone know where I could find the bolts and the part number? Is this something I can do myself?
Thanks
Shanta’
Mine was always coming off due to the low clearance and the snow. Took it to Chevy once and think I paid over 100 to get a new one put on. Finally had it removed and haven't had any issues since.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #33
shan1997

Update
Looks like I waited too late to secure the black strip hanging
At the bottom of my car because it’s now gone. What’s the technical name
For that black strip and do I go to GM parts website to look for it? Also now that
The strip is gone is gone, there was one bolt securing it that was ripped off. So
Does that mean I will have to have a whole new bumper if there’s no place to secure it
On one side? If so how much are bumpers 😩? I have a 2013 Chevy Camaro RS.
Are bumpers on the GM part site as well? Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2018, 11:32 AM   #34
shan1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Yes, I know, and most wreckers these days are flatbed. However not wheel lift.

I was not referring to damage from slings, but from winching a Camaro onto a flatbed wrecker.

If you look under the front (you will have to lie down for this or drive up on a ramp), you will see two longitudinal beams in the front clip. They have longitudinal oval shaped holes with rolled edges. These are the attachment points for frame hooks used to winch the car. They are higher than the air dam, so that the straps of the brindle are going to squash the air deflector.

Here's a brindle: https://www.truckntow.com/vulcan-pro...oogle_shopping

As for the advice to call a wheel lift, that is not a practical suggestion in many cases. In particular, on many toll roads, like the NY State Thruway or the Mass Pike, there is ONE tow company authorized to recover vehicles on that road. Also in the middle of nowhere, you won't have a choice. You can only hope that the tow truck operator is prepared and knowledgeable. Browse Youtube and you will see some examples of unskilled tow truck operators hooking onto control arms or other suspension parts instead of the frame. It's not pretty!

The air deflector is very flexible and may survive being bent over by a strap. Also the plastic fasteners and thin flexible washers may give out. As someone already pointed out, that's what they're supposed to do, to avoid tearing the front fascia. Replacing these with sheet metal screws and rigid washers is the worst sort of bubba mechanics and could end up costing you a thousand buck, not 7 bucks.
It appears The front fascia was damaged as the air deflector came off. I’m assuming this can’t be repaired without replacing the front bumper? See post with pics
Old 09-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #35
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
It appears The front fascia was damaged as the air deflector came off. I’m assuming this can’t be repaired without replacing the front bumper? See post with pics
I'm disoriented by this photo. Maybe a wider view will help understand what we're looking at?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #36
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I'm disoriented by this photo. Maybe a wider view will help understand what we're looking at?
It's just where the front air dam meets the fascia

It's broken off an area where a clip would have been for you to bolt it up. Hope that helps.

Fortunately never lost mine in the 70 some thousand miles I owned mine. It's a fairly easy fix if the bottom of the fascia doesn't have any damage. Sounds like OP should buy a splitter form Phastek or something
Old 09-27-2018, 06:31 AM   #37
shan1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_SS View Post
It's just where the front air dam meets the fascia

It's broken off an area where a clip would have been for you to bolt it up. Hope that helps.

Fortunately never lost mine in the 70 some thousand miles I owned mine. It's a fairly easy fix if the bottom of the fascia doesn't have any damage. Sounds like OP should buy a splitter form Phastek or something
A splitter? Would you be so kind as to provide a photo
Of a splitter?
Old 09-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #38
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
Just get some nuts and bolts from Lowes. Replace them all so they all look the same.
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #39
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Just took mine off years ago and never have had a problem
Old 09-27-2018, 12:04 PM   #40
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Of a splitter?
This is overkill on the adjustable rods on most cars but a necessity on mine due to the speeds I drive. Most cars would have two adjustment/ support rods going into the lower grill area without drilling the front fascia like I did.
Attached Images

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #41
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Of a splitter?
Something like this

Old 09-29-2018, 07:36 AM   #42
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
At or above 200 mph, you'll lose downforce if you don't replace it, allowing the car to lift off the ground and flip.