Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #57
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
FALSE.

I could have afforded the SS. But it was an IMPRACTICAL vehicle for me, and I am a PRACTICAL person, so I got the V6-- and I love it. I'm not the only one, either. Your sweeping generalizations are cute, but invariably incorrect.

OP-- as far as the handling, I personally think my six handles better than the couple of 5th gen SS's I've driven. It is a bit lighter, has a different suspension (I prefer it to the stiffer suspension on the SS) and the weight distribution is a little more even. It's not easy to notice the difference, though, and I think most people would say they handle pretty much the same.

Other than price, how is the V6 more practical ?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #58
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post

My turn, my turn.......

Less oil at an oil change. (less cost)

Cheaper Insurance. (less cost)

Better fuel economy. (less cost)

87 octane vs. 93 octane (less cost)
Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #59
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I just got my SS. It's a lot of fun! I didn't drive a V6. I have no doubt they're great and wouldnt think less of anyone that has one. 300+hp from V6, that's awesome to me. I just wanted a SS. But im 27, I think I make decent $$. And live within my means. So no problem. I would take one out for a spin and compare to your wife's SS.
Good luck.
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #60
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Quote:
Just in this thread you'll see people who feel fortunate to AFFORD their base-model Camaro. Have you SEEN the state of our economy? Are you aware of unemployment rates? Not everyone can afford a 2LT, an SS-- or a ZL-1-- and unless you have a STELLAR trade or a lot of money down, your car payment on a new Camaro will be nowhere NEAR $150-$200. I traded a 2003 *loaded* 4WD Tahoe LT for my Camaro, and my payment is $290-- which many people consider a low payment. An average payment is well over $300, usually closer to $400. Think that's feasible on a minimum wage salary, or for a student who's working through college? Do us all a favor and do your homework before you post. Welcome to the forum, but if you're going to say stuff like this, I hope you have a flame suit.
+1 Couldn't agree more. A $300 payment to a $500+ payment is a big deal to a lot of people, including myself. Some people have already cut all the costs they could to AFFORD their Camaro. Don't act like a few hundred dollars is chump change to everyone.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #61
DocT

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT - MT6
The 2LT model will give you one of the great features - Head Up Display. Once you have used it, it is addictive. Every other car I drive I miss it immediately.
DocT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #62
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
First of all-- I don't need or want that kind of power for a daily driver I'll put 22k miles a year or more on. And then there's better gas mileage (at least mine averages 26.5). Lower fuel cost-- lower oil change price-- lower insurance cost-- lower cost of ownership all around. I haven't been out of school that long. I'd rather be practical and save that money for a rainy day. Just because I could afford an SS doesn't mean that I want the higher maintenance and other costs associated with it, OR that it would be practical for me to run out and buy one when the Six has everything I want or need, at less cost to me. As someone in my mid-20's, I think I should be SAVING instead of spending myself into a rut which would eventually be my downfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
My turn, my turn.......

:party0048:

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #63
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
I have a hard time wrapping my mind around buying a new Camaro because it's "practical" (v8 or v6) because it's not a very "practical" car. That said, the v6 is certainly more affordable but if you are looking for "practical" why not look at a Cruze ECO or something that is really a "practical" car?

Mary - Orange Camaros Rule!
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #64
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhood View Post
I have a hard time wrapping my mind around buying a new Camaro because it's "practical" (v8 or v6) because it's not a very "practical" car. That said, the v6 is certainly more affordable but if you are looking for "practical" why not look at a Cruze ECO or something that is really a "practical" car?

Because if I can get good fuel economy (practicality there) with a low cost of ownership-- with performance and sexy looks all in one package, for the same car payment as a Cruze... why wouldn't I?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #65
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Quote:
My turn, my turn.......

Too be honest neither is a practical car. The V6 is a more ECONOMICAL car based on the listed items. I love my SS and wouldn't trade it for the world (maybe a ZL1 ), but I had a CTS with the 3.6L and a 6-speed and loved it. I'd imagine the LT Camaro with an extra 70hp (then the CTS) and a bit lighter (then the CTS) would be a great car as well. Buy what you want. Screw everyone else.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #66
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
After driving my SS for 13000 miles, I drove a 1lt.
Sorry to be rude but it's a dog. No torque = no fun.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #67
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
My turn, my turn.......

You beat me to it Mike !! I had all that in mind as I was reading the other post .lol

Last edited by bee sting; 01-23-2012 at 11:55 AM.
bee sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #68
WayOfTheWarrior

Drives: RS Camaro
Quote:
Just in this thread you'll see people who feel fortunate to AFFORD their base-model Camaro. Have you SEEN the state of our economy? Are you aware of unemployment rates? Not everyone can afford a 2LT, an SS-- or a ZL-1-- and unless you have a STELLAR trade or a lot of money down, your car payment on a new Camaro will be nowhere NEAR $150-$200. I traded a 2003 *loaded* 4WD Tahoe LT for my Camaro, and my payment is $290-- which many people consider a low payment. An average payment is well over $300, usually closer to $400. Think that's feasible on a minimum wage salary, or for a student who's working through college? Do us all a favor and do your homework before you post. Welcome to the forum, but if you're going to say stuff like this, I hope you have a flame suit.
You need to read a little more carefully. I did not say your monthly bill for a new camaro is "150-200" I said the difference for a v6 to SS. I also stated "most people" not all ok. I suggest you read a post a couple of times before you reply to it.
WayOfTheWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #69
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOfTheWarrior View Post
You need to read a little more carefully. I did not say your monthly bill for a new camaro is "150-200" I said the difference for a v6 to SS. I also stated "most people" not all ok. I suggest you read a post a couple of times before you reply to it.
Allow me to reiterate that to "most people" a $150-$200 jump in a car payment is a very large jump-- especially when $300+ a month is a big car payment and more than MANY people can afford. 7 out of 10 of my friends could not afford $300 a month, much less $450 or $500. Take a look at the average income in our country, the income in your state, and the number of people who live at or below the poverty line. There are more of those people than people to whom $200 a month means nothing. $2400 a year is nothing to sneeze at, and your comments (perhaps unwittingly, but nonetheless) belittle those whose financial situation is different from your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
+1 Couldn't agree more. A $300 payment to a $500+ payment is a big deal to a lot of people, including myself. Some people have already cut all the costs they could to AFFORD their Camaro. Don't act like a few hundred dollars is chump change to everyone.
Yep.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #70
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhood View Post

In my case, it's not so much practical, as it is cost effective. I didn't want to pay 6k more for 2 additional cylinders.

I drive my TDI when I want practical.

win win for me.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote