Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
BATMOB1LE
• HT •

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Need some advice on selling my 1LE

so, i'm 30, just got married, moved out of my parents home and built a house. I stayed home longer to save money to build my house, which worked great. my 1LE is a 2013 with 9000 km on it. It's my toy. Not a DD in the least.

Priorities are shifting and life is changing and I'm thinking about selling it to buy something I can drive year round and put some money in my pocket. Right now it goes away from November to May.

Thing is, I owe nothing on it and I have a buyer for it for $40,000. I could get another car and bank some money, which would come in handy in the spring when I have to finish my driveway and do my landscaping...

What's getting to me is the idea of selling it is tough! I love my car. It turns a lot of heads and it's a lot of fun. But it just doesn't make sense, at this point in my life.

I'm basically looking for any wisdom from people that have been in the same predicament... how to ease this process???

Thanks in advance!

2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE - 402 of 451
"BATMOB1LE"
- Xpel Stealth Wrap - ZL1 Rockers - 18% Tint - Custom Badges - Heritage Grille - BMR 1.4" Springs - Solo Performance Axel-Back Exhaust - Recaro Sport Seats
BATMOB1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
for $40k, I'd let her go. get the family going... enjoy the family... in time I think you'll make your way back.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Im assuming that is $40k in Canadian dollars. If its American dollars then Id sell it in a heartbeat.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #4
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
So I haven't been in this situation before, However, I'm only a few years younger than you and might come across this question as well.

Since you owe nothing on the vehicle its only costing you insurance, gas, and maintenance. Unless you're tight for money I would keep the camaro, because once you sell a toy it takes a lot to get it back. There will always be something else that the money needs to go to. Kids, House, Vacation, appliances, the list goes on and on.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
BATMOB1LE
• HT •

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
for $40k, I'd let her go. get the family going... enjoy the family... in time I think you'll make your way back.
Tough call. But that is what I'm thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Black1LESS View Post
Im assuming that is $40k in Canadian dollars. If its American dollars then Id sell it in a heartbeat.
Definitely Canadian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post
So I haven't been in this situation before, However, I'm only a few years younger than you and might come across this question as well.

Since you owe nothing on the vehicle its only costing you insurance, gas, and maintenance. Unless you're tight for money I would keep the camaro, because once you sell a toy it takes a lot to get it back. There will always be something else that the money needs to go to. Kids, House, Vacation, appliances, the list goes on and on.
Thing is, it's a toy. I'm not strapped for cash... but I'd have to go out an finance another car. All the while, I'm new to this home owner/married thing, and there will definitely be expenses next spring finishing the build. I just don't know if tying up all that money is a good idea. If I sold it, I could buy a car cash and use the left over for stuff without having to go into my bank accounts.

"BATMOB1LE"
- Xpel Stealth Wrap - ZL1 Rockers - 18% Tint - Custom Badges - Heritage Grille - BMR 1.4" Springs - Solo Performance Axel-Back Exhaust - Recaro Sport Seats
Old 10-26-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
BATMOB1LE
• HT •

p.s. I was so busy in 2016, building the house etc that I put 200km on it... all year.

"BATMOB1LE"
Old 10-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #7
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkentect View Post

I agree with this. Don't forget too that when you buy your next car if it is in any way decent you will pay another 13% sales tax at that time too. So assuming you would spend 30k on a decent car it wouldn't leave that much after taxes. Mind you 40k Canadian for a 2013 is a pretty good price at this stage too for you.

So I feel your pain and understand your dilemma. Mine is also a paid for 2013 toy with 45k km on it and I really don't think I could part with it. I bought it just after turning 50 and it was a car I had admired for a long time before that. Mine is parked from end of November til late March usually.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #8
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMOB1LE View Post
Tough call. But that is what I'm thinking...

Definitely Canadian.

Thing is, it's a toy. I'm not strapped for cash... but I'd have to go out an finance another car. All the while, I'm new to this home owner/married thing, and there will definitely be expenses next spring finishing the build. I just don't know if tying up all that money is a good idea. If I sold it, I could buy a car cash and use the left over for stuff without having to go into my bank accounts.
I guess it really boils down to what the car means to you and what having it does for you.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I don't know how it works in Canada but in California, there is this thing called "community property". Any property I owned (car and a condo that is now a rental) before I got married is mine and mine only. In other words, I have no plans of ever selling these.

Just a thought.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #10
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
sell for 40k. go find a used CTS-V for 40k
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
nikon2003

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
I have a corvette that just sits in the garage and collects dust, I've contemplated selling it but it's paid for and costs minimal to keep.

The reason I keep it is that if I change my mind 5-10years down the road and I want another, it'll cost me significantly more MSRP, EXCISE tax etc to get into that car again.
nikon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #12
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon2003 View Post
I have a corvette that just sits in the garage and collects dust, I've contemplated selling it but it's paid for and costs minimal to keep.

The reason I keep it is that if I change my mind 5-10years down the road and I want another, it'll cost me significantly more MSRP, EXCISE tax etc to get into that car again.
That is true but the value of a Camaro depreciates more than a Corvette so it wouldn't be all that difficult to get back into another Camaro.

To the OP, I would keep it unless you are needing to sell it for the money.
14Black1LESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:24 PM   #13
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
(I'm 35) It's only a car. If you need money for other priorities, sell it and be smart. Never sell yourself short...especially over a vehicle. You want to retire sooner than later; therefore, banking extra money every month should be your highest priority. You can always buy another car at a later time. They make them everyday. Good luck.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #14
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Back in 2002, I had a Toyota AE86 (for those not familiar or do not know Initial D, it was a mid 80's RWD Corolla with a 4AGE engine). I sold it because my wife wanted new flooring in the house we just bought. It didn't need new flooring, she just wanted one. We moved to a new house since. I regret selling that car to this day because there is nothing out there for sale in the condition this car was in.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote