Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
ninety6
2xSOM

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS | 2002 Camaro V6 vrt
Subwoofer Starting to Fail (add on amp/sub with ******** t-harness). Thoughts?

I have a 2010 2LT RS (Boston Acoustics) with the ******** T-Harness. I then have my amp powering a 12" Sub. (can get specs on those if necessary).

Recently, I noticed the following behavior:

Turn on car, radio set to auto-turn-on volume of 6.
After about 5-20 seconds (varies), I'll sometimes hear 3 little thumps from the sub (pop pop pop... NOT in the music of course), and the subwoofer output is way lower than it should be (and was before this started happening), and kinda distorted sounding. It still WORKS... the sub still plays music, the amp is sill on, etc etc. If i turn everything off and back on right away, the pops doesn't seem to happen (but sub still sucks)

I Keep my headunit (stock) bass setting on about -9 most of the time, and have the amp turned up to make up the difference. I figure i have less chance of distorting or blowing out my stock speakers by sucking the bass out of them.

I don't blast overly loud, occasionally i like to Jam.

I have already pulled off one input channel at a time (no difference in behavior).

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong:
Stock head unit output problem (I need to disconnect sub and try with stock to listen for POPs)
Amplifier problem (Already checked all the fuses and wiring connections, everything is good there)
Subwoofer going bad

Thoughts/experience?

Thanks!
ninety6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Shu71

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS M6
So you only have the sub amp? Or you have a four channel amp and then a sub amp which is ran through the pass through of the four channel amp?
Old 03-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
mbober99

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
sounds to my like you have a bad ground on the amp....make sure you have ground away all paint where ground wire is connected to the chassis of car

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
mbober99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
ninety6
2xSOM

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS | 2002 Camaro V6 vrt
Thanks for the replies.... thought i updated this thread a while back, but now i think it was a PM.

anyway -- turned out to be a loose RCA connection on from the harness. had to re-plug it in, and all was well!
ninety6 is offline   Reply With Quote