Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-02-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Has any dealers offered to buy your Camaro back from you, would you do it?

I was talking to a guy in our home office this morning and he said that dealers in the Chicago area are offering to buy back Camaro's with less than 1,000 miles for $500 - $2000 over MSRP. The dealers are also supposedly trying to talk people out of the Camaro's they ordered when they come in from GM.

I know some dealers are really struggling, the dealer I ordered my Camaro from said sales are off over 50%. They never offered to buy my SS/RS back but that's probably because they knew after waiting since January I had no intention of selling it back to them. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures! With sales going through the roof people that order SS's now may not get them until November/December so I suppose it makes sense that a dealer would try to buy them back. If you look on eBay there are several for sale from dealers for way more than MSRP and they all have bids on them.

Would any of you sell your car back to a dealer if they gave you $2K more than you paid for it? I would certainly consider it for $5K over what I paid for it but not $2K.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
NO!
Old 07-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
jdbaker82
Banned

Drives: None
Sell it back to em for 30k markup
jdbaker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
SS_in_Black

Drives: 2SS Black over Inferno Orange
I had the dealership call me with an offer from an individual who had ordered one to buy mine $2k over what I paid for it. In exchange I would get his when it came in and of course the extra coin. I said $5k and he had a deal. Dealership said I was greedy. LMAO the dealer said I was greedy. He wouldn't pay the $5k so I passed. Love it toooo much!
Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_in_Black View Post
I had the dealership call me with an offer from an individual who had ordered one to buy mine $2k over what I paid for it. In exchange I would get his when it came in and of course the extra coin. I said $5k and he had a deal. Dealership said I was greedy. LMAO the dealer said I was greedy. He wouldn't pay the $5k so I passed. Love it toooo much!
LOL! Stick it to the man!
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
Restroom
Screw it; buying a Vette

Drives: '08 Corvette C6 Coupe (A6)
Hell, I wouldn't trust a dealer to be able to pay me, the damn dealership wouldn't pass a credit check and neither would its parent company. But it's okay, I'd send them to Financing and adjust the interest rate accordingly. I'll hold onto the deed to the lot until then. I mean, it only makes sense, I'm the one who's solvent here! :>

I seriously wouldn't believe the offer until the check cleared. That's insane; why would they even bother? No one's making enough money in the deal, especially after CPO.... oh, wait, I get it, they're buying them back at $2K over so they can turn around and sell them to some imbecile who'll promise ten over. Is that even legal?
Restroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
It's legal as long as someone is willing to pay. They can't lie about the MSRP and I would hope that anyone that is interested in buying one would have educated themselves enough to know what MSRP is. I was at a car show last Friday night and several guys that looked at my SS mentioned they would be willing to pay a little over MSRP to get one now -vs- having to wait until Nov/Dec. Paying a "little over MSRP" would certainly vary from one person to another.

There is a black 2SS with an automatic and no sun roof that probably listed out under
$38K that has a buy it now price of $46,950 and already has 11 bids on it. That would be over $7K higher than MSRP, that would certainly be worth it for a dealer.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
$2k wouldn't even come close to paying the taxes on it here.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
Restroom
Screw it; buying a Vette

Drives: '08 Corvette C6 Coupe (A6)
People are just nuts. I've never paid sticker for a car, I don't know anyone who has. I was ready to for the Camaro, because it's not that much to begin with, comparatively speaking. But paying more than what it's worth? I'm as much of a car nut or more than most, but come on, it's still just a car. They're selling like hotcakes in a crap economy, that means once they get rolling they're going to be pretty common cars, and you'll be able to walk onto almost any lot and see a row of them and make a deal, like normal. The fact that people are giving in to gouging makes them gouge more, and if Chevy has any brains at all they're going to do their damnedest to keep the hype as strong as they can for as long as they can. If everyone would just calm down we could all act like reasonable people. We're talking about four or five months here!
Restroom is offline   Reply With Quote