Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Kakashi

Drives: Camaro SS 2010 M6
Lightbulb Loud "clunk" sound when turning the wheel (/w video)

I know I ain't the first one with this sound and have seen a few topics on this. But I decided to go out today and try to find out what the culprit was since I managed to be able to reproduce it at will... (procedure below). My sound came from the front/driver side, so I checked with the hood open and... nothing. The sound seemed to come from the wheel, so I started checking and taking videos. Initially, I found nothing. Then i started to review the videos I took on my trusty iPhone and I can see something that *might* be it, for which reason I'm posting this here to see if someone can identify which part this is. It appears to be the end link for the front sway bar (thanks Scott@Bjorn3D!). So if you have a sound like this you might want to check this place

It occurs at 0:04-0:05 on the video
EDIT:

To reproduce problem:
1. Turn wheel completely to the left (counterclockwise on the steering wheel)
2. Move car backwards (I can do it going forward, but not always)
3. I *HAVE* to take a inclination (in this case the the sidewalk curb)
4. After that wheel (in my case, the front/driver wheel) takes the inclination I just have to stop the car, and turn the steering wheel to the right side (clockwise)
5. Almost immediately you can hear a very LOUD clunk (inside and outside the car; for some reason in the videos it sounds very low, but it's really loud in person)

Now if i could only find a damn way to reproduce at will the grinding noise when going in reverse while turning... But it happens once in a blue moon :(

Last edited by Kakashi; 12-26-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Video link added
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Kakashi

I managed to get a better video today (and screenshot), aiming at the part. It's very visible now that it is causing the "clunk" sound.

Attached Images

Old 12-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Ins't that an end link to the front sway bar? Looks like you have also hit some curbs good by the look of the damage to the front wheel.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Kakashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Ins't that an end link to the front sway bar? Looks like you have also hit some curbs good by the look of the damage to the front wheel.
Just one curb recently, while parking I shed some real tears when it happened But the sound has been present since new.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Kakashi

Problem solved: Bent End-Link. Replaced and back in action
Old 12-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
Coyote_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Problem solved: Bent End-Link. Replaced and back in action
Hello there . . . My 2010 camaro SS making a similar but repeatedly clunking sounds when i came harder right turns and when i hit potholes. That that sounds the same problem you had ?
Coyote_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_SS View Post
Hello there . . . My 2010 camaro SS making a similar but repeatedly clunking sounds when i came harder right turns and when i hit potholes. That that sounds the same problem you had ?
Does your wheel shake when the sound happens? Or just the sound?
Old 12-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #8
Coyote_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Does your wheel shake when the sound happens? Or just the sound?
For a while my 2010 6.2 was making a hallow clunking sound i could feel it on my foot as I made harder right turns or hit a pot hole. The mechanic replaced the strut mounts and it did nothing. Today I was doing an oil change when i noticed the exhaust had movement. I gave it aome tugs and it made the exact same noise ! It turns out the cat bangs against the car floor ! I put a piece of wood between it to put pressure and took it out for a ride and it just wouldn’t make the sound anymore ! I hope this helps others with same problem .
Coyote_SS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clunk pop