Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
New HUD Windshield

Had a rock or something put a little chip/crack in my windshield just to the left of my rear view mirror yesterday evening. Couldn’t see it in the dark but saw it this morning when I got in the car. It’s about the size of a pencil eraser. A thought ran through my mind as to whether I needed to have it fixed before it ran just like I had the last one fixed.

I looked over at the one I had fixed 14 months ago and ranged if it hadn’t started to crack again. It had a new crack coming off it which was about an inch long. I thought I remembered a warranty so I called Safelite and she said yep national lifetime warranty. After scheduling an appointment she informed me that they don’t touch cracks twice and would be replacing the windshield. I asked if it was free or what and she said that my insurance was going to pay for it.

I scheduled the appointment and immediately called my agent. He said he Wallus call and find out what the warranty was good for if they were just going to install a new windshield and he was going to pay for that in addition to the crack repair. He found out that the crack repair is. It warranted and only a new windshield is warranted.

I now will be getting a new windshield even though I do not want one as my Collegiate engineering sticker is in the corner and no longer sold. Had it for 10 years before I bought the Camaro and installed it. Cost to me is nada as they are opening the claim for the crack repair and paying it under that claim. I have the better glass plan because of the rear convertible glass.

My question, what windshield problems come from a new windshield with the HUD. Can I require them to only install a factory windshield? Thoughts?
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #2
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
Just make sure they intend on installing the correct HUD compatible windshield. There are many other less expensive models that will fit, but the HUD will be blurry. I believe the correct model number for the HUD windshield is DW01877, but that is designated for "coupe". Not sure if the vert is different.
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
If the glass shop knows what they are doing, they will know you need a HUD windshield from your VIN. If they are ordering a windshield without knowing your VIN, they are idiots.

There are non-OEM windshields for HUD. Unless you ask, you may get a less expensive non-OEM windshield. The OEM windshield may be as much as double the price.

Your insurance may or may not cover the cost of the OEM windshield. You have to ask. In my case, the first replacement OEM was covered because the insurance company's policy allowed for that on cars up to 3 years old. The second replacement came later, and I paid the difference. Some aftermarket windshields are wavy or distort at the edges. I'm sensitive to that and get motion sickness from bad glass, so I had to pay.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #4
Glassman66

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1le
It's a DW1900 or DW1901. Trust me Safelite is getting paid for the replacement. They'll subtract the cost if the repair to the final bill.

I've been in the glass business for 25 years.

Honestly where glass prices are for the gen5 Camaro we make better money using the factory windshield. Safelite's buying power might go with aftermarket.

As long as it is OEM or OEE you're fine.
Glassman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
SharpOldNo7

This is what is written on my factory original windshield right now. The windshield Safelite was bringing to install said it was HUD but they still would not warranty it to not be distorted. He said I would have to talk with Insurance to allow them to get a OEM windshield. I cancelled the install and called agent.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE
HUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOldNo7 View Post
This is what is written on my factory original windshield right now. The windshield Safelite was bringing to install said it was HUD but they still would not warranty it to not be distorted. He said I would have to talk with Insurance to allow them to get a OEM windshield. I cancelled the install and called agent.
Why even mess around with these safelite people. Get it done at your dealership. All of the Insurance benefits apply. They know what glass to use no problem. They all do hundreds of windshields every year. i have had 2 done at my dealership with no problems.
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
SharpOldNo7

All the dealerships in my area use the local glass companies as a subcontractor and then markup bill. The glass company travels to the dealership to install the glass for them and will come to my house just the same. Safelite is who my insurance company sent to fix the crack 14 months ago. Again the dealer will fix the crack but will call the glass company to come fix it and mark up the invoice.

I just spoke to the glass company back as home, I working out of town this week, and he said that he will only install a Pilkington windshield when a HUD is in the car. Pilkington is the OEM manufacturer for GM. Pilkington also sells aftermarket without the GM logo on the windshield. He said Safelite will do a Pilkington Glass if you make them otherwise they want to sell you a brand made specifically for Safelite as their profit margin is greater on their own glass.

I have a Pilkington GM Glass in my car now. See previous post with picture. Since Safelite did the repair they will have to do the replacement for the insurance co to get their repair fees back. I’m still not out any money so long as Safelite puts in a Pilkington.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
1LEJNG

HUD

Quote:
All the dealerships in my area use the local glass companies as a subcontractor and then markup bill. The glass company travels to the dealership to install the glass for them and will come to my house just the same. Safelite is who my insurance company sent to fix the crack 14 months ago. Again the dealer will fix the crack but will call the glass company to come fix it and mark up the invoice.

I just spoke to the glass company back as home, I working out of town this week, and he said that he will only install a Pilkington windshield when a HUD is in the car. Pilkington is the OEM manufacturer for GM. Pilkington also sells aftermarket without the GM logo on the windshield. He said Safelite will do a Pilkington Glass if you make them otherwise they want to sell you a brand made specifically for Safelite as their profit margin is greater on their own glass.

I have a Pilkington GM Glass in my car now. See previous post with picture. Since Safelite did the repair they will have to do the replacement for the insurance co to get their repair fees back. I’m still not out any money so long as Safelite puts in a Pilkington.
All dealerships do not do that. Mine has a room next to the body shop where they replace glass. A dealership tech does the work any they are responsible for the work. I could care.less about who gets the money because it costs me nothing. when i return with my free loaner my car is sitting in a preferred spot Inside the building away form other traffic. Far better than having done in some parking lot. I know nothing is free and that my insurance ultimately pays for the glass. Im always surprised at how much trouble some people go through just to have glass replaced.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #9
SharpOldNo7

Generally I don’t go through much trouble. I call the glass company or insurance agent if they are paying for it and they come to my house where my cars are safe inside my garage. They do the traveling and I don’t. My cars don’t sit next to where strangers are driving around my vehicle. Never needed a loaner for a windshield replacement. They come and go in less than 2 hours while I’m sitting inside or or gone somewhere doing something else.

Closest Dealer of any kind is 40 minutes away. Very inconvenient.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #10
1LEJNG

glass

Quote:
Generally I don’t go through much trouble. I call the glass company or insurance agent if they are paying for it and they come to my house where my cars are safe inside my garage. They do the traveling and I don’t. My cars don’t sit next to where strangers are driving around my vehicle. Never needed a loaner for a windshield replacement. They come and go in less than 2 hours while I’m sitting inside or or gone somewhere doing something else.

Closest Dealer of any kind is 40 minutes away. Very inconvenient.
I guess im just lucky. I stopped using them when the morons sent the wrong glass. Vacation day lost. My dealership is close so it works out well. 0