Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 12-03-2018, 11:17 AM   #15
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
Looks good especially that shiny new Coors Light.
ha Ha! Gotta have a few cold ones when I'm wrenching and bench racing!!
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #16
zlathim

So I dropped the car off to have the gears installed Monday.

There was a small snafu (chronicled in the drivetrain subforum on this site) at the shop, so I didn't get the car back until a couple days later, but everything is back together correctly now. Here is the gear pattern:

And the new diff cover from LPW:

The car feels like a totally different car with the gears in it. I am still in the break in period (500 miles) so I can't take it above 55 mph, no freeway driving, no dyno pulls, no burnouts, etc. Still, the difference is very apparent. A big shout out to acammer for convincing me to go with the 4.10s instead of the 3.91 gears!!

Funny story: When I was driving home, I had to stop kinda hard and I hear several dull clunks in a row. I was freaking out a little bit until I realized it was just the old parts sliding around in the trunk.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes

Last edited by zlathim; 12-13-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #17
zlathim

Put some new tires on the car Saturday. Stock size BFG G-Force Comp 2 A/S. I drove the car in the rain today and there is a marked improvement over the worn out Pirellis on slick roads.
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 12-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #18
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I couldnt imagine 4.10's with worn tires in the rain. Like the build! Keep it coming!
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #19
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
So I dropped the car off to have the gears installed Monday.

There was a small snafu (chronicled in the drivetrain subforum on this site) at the shop, so I didn't get the car back until a couple days later, but everything is back together correctly now. Here is the gear pattern:

And the new diff cover from LPW:

The car feels like a totally different car with the gears in it. I am still in the break in period (500 miles) so I can't take it above 55 mph, no freeway driving, no dyno pulls, no burnouts, etc. Still, the difference is very apparent. A big shout out to acammer for convincing me to go with the 4.10s instead of the 3.91 gears!!

Funny story: When I was driving home, I had to stop kinda hard and I hear several dull clunks in a row. I was freaking out a little bit until I realized it was just the old parts sliding around in the trunk.

The 4.10s have a 20% increase and the 3.91s a 15% increase in torque from the stock 3.45 screw.
When the automatic owners change their 3.27 to a 3.91 that's a 20% increase for them. Before GM released the 3.91s most auto owners were using 3.73s which are a 15% increase.
In the old days, before overdrives, a 4.10 would have a vehicle turning 3000RPMs at on the highway and redline ~130MPH. Just right for 12's in the quarter. With our modern 6-speeds, it's just one more upshift to cruise at areasonable engine speed.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:12 AM   #20
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSkat View Post
I couldnt imagine 4.10's with worn tires in the rain. Like the build! Keep it coming!
It was a handful!! Thanks for looking!
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 12-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #21
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
The 4.10s have a 20% increase and the 3.91s a 15% increase in torque from the stock 3.45 screw.
When the automatic owners change their 3.27 to a 3.91 that's a 20% increase for them. Before GM released the 3.91s most auto owners were using 3.73s which are a 15% increase.
In the old days, before overdrives, a 4.10 would have a vehicle turning 3000RPMs at on the highway and redline ~130MPH. Just right for 12's in the quarter. With our modern 6-speeds, it's just one more upshift to cruise at areasonable engine speed.
I'm very pleased with the 4.10s. The best part is that now I can finally start working on making more horsepower!!!
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 12-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #22
HammerZL1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Talking

Nice build updates Zane. Your cars coming along nicely. Merry Christmas.
HammerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:04 AM   #23
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerZL1 View Post
Nice build updates Zane. Your cars coming along nicely. Merry Christmas.
Thanks, John! I got a camshaft sitting on my workbench, ready to be installed. Hopefully I can get it done this coming weekend.
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 12-26-2018, 08:11 AM   #24
HammerZL1

Talking

Quote:
Thanks, John! I got a camshaft sitting on my workbench, ready to be installed. Hopefully I can get it done this coming weekend.
Oh yeah, a little rumpety, rumpety soon. Nice, I'll talk with you soon. I also would like to try that shift light out in your car when I get it since I won't be driving mine until March.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #25
zlathim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerZL1 View Post
Oh yeah, a little rumpety, rumpety soon. Nice, I'll talk with you soon. I also would like to try that shift light out in your car when I get it since I won't be driving mine until March.
Sounds good. I've got a pretty full plate coming up. Need to get the cam in the car very soon because our lease isn't being renewed and I don't know if we will find a place with a garage. The lease expires January 31st, so this month we will be house hunting and moving. But I'm sure I can find some time to grab coffee and try out your new shift light.
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 12-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #26
HammerZL1

Wink

Quote:
Sounds good. I've got a pretty full plate coming up. Need to get the cam in the car very soon because our lease isn't being renewed and I don't know if we will find a place with a garage. The lease expires January 31st, so this month we will be house hunting and moving. But I'm sure I can find some time to grab coffee and try out your new shift light.
Yep, I know. Shift light no big deal, we can do that at your convenience. I am open this weekend if you are doing the cam. Would be able to give you a hand if you would like. I can hand you tools if nothing else. I've never worked on an LS motor so it would be a learning thing for me. Give me a call to discuss when you have a moment.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #27
zlathim

I'll give you a call later on tonight unless I forget. Too much going on right now!

I'm not sure when I will tear the car apart this weekend. I'm off Sat-Tue this weekend, but I have my kids too, so it's gonna depend on a few things. You might end up getting a spur-of-the-moment call... lol

I do appreciate the offer and i wish i could be more specific, but a few things are up in the air right now.
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
Old 12-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #28
HammerZL1

Quote:
I'll give you a call later on tonight unless I forget. Too much going on right now!
Talk with you tonight...kinda, sorta, maybe, right?

Quote:
I'm not sure when I will tear the car apart this weekend. I'm off Sat-Tue this weekend, but I have my kids too, so it's gonna depend on a few things. You might end up getting a spur-of-the-moment call... lol

I do appreciate the offer and i wish i could be more specific, but a few things are up in the air right now.
Not a problem, call and we'll see if it meets our schedules. You do have heat in your garage, right. Later