Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #1
BigMacLA

Drives: 2012 2ss
Headers

I am about to add exhaust headers to my 2012 Camaro 2 SS. I purchased these from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently I have flowmaster mufflers.

My concerns are:

Noise- will these be too loud? I use this car to commute.

Will I kill my gas mileage?

Will I pass emissions in Virginia adding these?

I appreciate any feedback
BigMacLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Adding long tubes does make the car a bit louder, especially deeper sounding. If you add a CAI (or currently have one), a tune will help the motor run as well as it can. Remote tune is fine. As far as your local emissions is concerned, IDK, but I'm sure someone local will chime in. You should be able to find out by searching VA's emissions laws. In most states, newer cars only require an OBDII type test, but little if any visual.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacLA View Post
I am about to add exhaust headers to my 2012 Camaro 2 SS. I purchased these from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently I have flowmaster mufflers.

My concerns are:

Noise- will these be too loud? I use this car to commute.

Will I kill my gas mileage?

Will I pass emissions in Virginia adding these?

I appreciate any feedback
Yes it will likely be loud with Flowmaster mufflers. Too loud will be subjective.

If anything with a proper tune to optimize the air fuel ratio, your gas mileage may go up. That is if you can keep your foot out of the throttle.

Can't say for sure about VA emissions, but I passed PA emissions with my long tube headers and high flow cats after a tune. Where you might run into issues is not having cats.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Couple things.....1 we have a section for exhaust and there are tons of posts on this topic. Do some reading. 2 I kinda would have probably asked these questions before you purchased.
I'm just sayin.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
The volume of the exhaust will be impacted by OE cats vs high-flow cats vs no cats. I looked quick and it seems like those are a no-cat version. No cats are typically pretty raspy/bitey.

As for emissions you'll have to check your state regulations. I don't think there are many places where being cat-less is legal, but there are places that don't expressly check.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
You get what you pay for........
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
Mac Arnold

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
The safety inspection does not test for emissions, however if they see you do not have cats, for instance when jacking up the car to check you suspension and steering components, then you will have an issue. You will have to go with high flow cats.
Mac Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
The volume of the exhaust will be impacted by OE cats vs high-flow cats vs no cats. I looked quick and it seems like those are a no-cat version. No cats are typically pretty raspy/bitey.

As for emissions you'll have to check your state regulations. I don't think there are any places where being cat-less is legal, but there are places that don't expressly check.
Hey bro, fixed that for you. At least in the US

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Hey bro, fixed that for you. At least in the US
Hey - I go to "Mexico" every Friday and Saturday night, and everything is "Legal" there...
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
2Taco

Drives: 2014 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Hey - I go to "Mexico" every Friday and Saturday night, and everything is "Legal" there...
You might be surprised.

Many Mexican states have emissions testing which must be done twice a year. You no pass, you no get no stinkin' emissions sticker. Of course you can probably find a shop that will pass your car.

In Mexico City, because there are so many cars, they passed laws to limit the days and hours you can actually drive your car. The law, however, somewhat backfired and many families simply bought a second car so at least one of them would be driveable every day. So, now there are MORE cars.

The "day of no circulation" was based on the last number of your license plate. For instance, a plate ending in 4 would not be able to "circulate" on any Wednesday between 5am and 10pm, nor the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month, same hours.
2Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #11
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Taco View Post
You might be surprised.

Many Mexican states have emissions testing which must be done twice a year. You no pass, you no get no stinkin' emissions sticker. Of course you can probably find a shop that will pass your car.

In Mexico City, because there are so many cars, they passed laws to limit the days and hours you can actually drive your car. The law, however, somewhat backfired and many families simply bought a second car so at least one of them would be driveable every day. So, now there are MORE cars.

The "day of no circulation" was based on the last number of your license plate. For instance, a plate ending in 4 would not be able to "circulate" on any Wednesday between 5am and 10pm, nor the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month, same hours.
Interesting. Guess to most of us it's still the wild west down there. However, acammer was referring to Mexico, NY, which is near where we live.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #12
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Do you still have your factory resonator? If so this should help calm things down some. In Virginia I would go with HF cats.............Virginia is tough on state inspections.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #13
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Interesting. Guess to most of us it's still the wild west down there. However, acammer was referring to Mexico, NY, which is near where we live.
I was actually referring to "Mexico" as street-racing, which is obviously not legal, just like cat-less isn't legal in the US.

The "Day of No Circulation" is pretty interesting. Seems like the wrong way to try to limit traffic flow, but I guess you gotta try something.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #14
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
You can do away with the cats and get connection pipes cheap from speed engineering that look like cats as long as your inspection does not put a probe in the tail pipe and you tune out the two rear O2 sensors you are good to go. The other route would be to use HF Cats from Texas Speed but you may have to check the collector sizes to see if they will match up. Research First and buy second and you will save yourself some headaches.

I stay out of Mexico !!
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote