Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
cruisingcamaro

Drives: 2010 CGM SS2 RS- black stripes
appearance protection?

my dealer said I have to purchase"appearance protection" package @ $1,695.00! I said no. they say mandatory? I don't see that on my contract! Anyone else having this issue? It sounds like an add on that I do not need or want. Any comments? thanks!
cruisingcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:09 PM   #16
BLACK67

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to BLACK67
NOT!
BLACK67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #17
sac-au-lait

Drives: 06Colorado07Silverado08Cobalt
8 Ways Customers Try To Fool Car Salespeople : 1.)Don't tell them your trading till the last minute,then complain they take too long to get numbers. 2.)Lie about wanting to leave and pick-up you sick grandmother,then go shop at another store.3.)Start asking "what's the price and note" on the lot.4.)Threaten them with "your my first stop ,buddy".5.)Be as disrespectful to them as you like,they don't have feelings.6.)Be sure to talk on your cell phone while on the lot.7.) Go to the closest dealership and spend a couple hours with the salesman,with no intentions of buying,use them for amunition at your dealership.8.) Tell them about the horrible experience at their dealership,make him wonder why you are there.Really,this is in fairness to all.Salesman know what customers are up to.They do it everyday,customers do it every few years. I'm just making a point.I can take it when people do this to me (and they have) can consumers understand why we are defensive sometimes.
sac-au-lait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #18
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
I don't hold it against dealerships that they want to make money. Just be honest about it. Tell me that this is what the car is worth to your company. Don't try to get the extra profit by tricking me.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #19
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
So RPO thinks the 18/19 year old girl who walks into the showroom and drives out with a lease for a car and paid MSRP and " extras" should have brought a lawyer with her?

I have seen countless grads buy a car and be a "victim" of all the 7 listed. Then when the car is repossessed the dealer sell it again, and the 1st buyers credit is screwed for 7 years.

And there are lots of people who ate all but one bite and send it back as "cold" or "not what I expected" in the hospitality industry. Usually the waitress has more training than the car salesman, and deals with it much better.

So far we don't need a lawyer to read the menu.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:13 AM   #20
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingcamaro View Post
my dealer said I have to purchase"appearance protection" package @ $1,695.00! I said no. they say mandatory? I don't see that on my contract! Anyone else having this issue? It sounds like an add on that I do not need or want. Any comments? thanks!
Yea that's one of the extra's. Tell them no.

Especially if the car is not in there make ready yet you can stop it.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #21
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Some dealers add that BS kit to all of their cars, some add to a certain percentage, and the honest dealers don't even offer it. You may have a tough time arguing that with some sales people, so ask to talk to the manager. They know it is BS and not needed, let them know what they need to do to sell you a car.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #22
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO_Z28 View Post
How would it work when other industries worked and made little or no money because of articles like this?
Do you seriously expect us to have any sympathy for dealerships? Seriously? I'm not against them making a profit but so many of them are so completely worthless that there is no way they are going to get my support.

There are exceptions to the rule, but those are the ones where most of these rules don't apply (I personally support them trying to add features to the car if the buyer can afford it, that's not sneaky at all, as well as any other obvious ways to try to get the sale higher).
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #23
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac-au-lait View Post
8 Ways Customers Try To Fool Car Salespeople : 1.)Don't tell them your trading till the last minute,then complain they take too long to get numbers. 2.)Lie about wanting to leave and pick-up you sick grandmother,then go shop at another store.3.)Start asking "what's the price and note" on the lot.4.)Threaten them with "your my first stop ,buddy".5.)Be as disrespectful to them as you like,they don't have feelings.6.)Be sure to talk on your cell phone while on the lot.7.) Go to the closest dealership and spend a couple hours with the salesman,with no intentions of buying,use them for amunition at your dealership.8.) Tell them about the horrible experience at their dealership,make him wonder why you are there.Really,this is in fairness to all.Salesman know what customers are up to.They do it everyday,customers do it every few years. I'm just making a point.I can take it when people do this to me (and they have) can consumers understand why we are defensive sometimes.
+1

Im not in the business anymore, but I feel you on all that.

People like to spew out BS about "if they gave us a good price, we'd be back, that's how you get customers". YA RIGHT! #1 on the OP list says it all. It's all about the $$. "Make it clear to the salesperson that you want the lowest possible markup over your starting price, and that youll visit other dealerships selling the same vehicle and will buy from the one with the best price."

Customers are ALWAYS willing to sell out for the lowest possible price, I've seen people shopping the price difference of $50!!
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #24
InventoryGuy

Drives: Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
+1

Im not in the business anymore, but I feel you on all that.

People like to spew out BS about "if they gave us a good price, we'd be back, that's how you get customers". YA RIGHT! #1 on the OP list says it all. It's all about the $$. "Make it clear to the salesperson that you want the lowest possible markup over your starting price, and that youll visit other dealerships selling the same vehicle and will buy from the one with the best price."

Customers are ALWAYS willing to sell out for the lowest possible price, I've seen people shopping the price difference of $50!!
I love how people read that crap and think suddenly they are the worlds best negotiator. Nothing worse then when you are trying to work with someone and they think they are smart by picking out a car and negotiating a price.

BIG CLUE FOR THE COMMON BUYER. a good salespro will ask if you are payign cash or financing for a reason. We have all spent hours with someone who thought they were clever by lying to us about paying cash and negotiated a sales price. then when you go to finish the deal and they "decide" to finance and we lose the deal because they're payments are 70/mnth more then they could afford and you just blew most of your saturday with the new found negotiation king.

hate to break it to you people, but your average customer is 10 times worse than your average salespro.
InventoryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #25
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Aye pre approved hardass with terminator like skills = walking on water
Walking in blind = under water with salesman walking on water

I am the salesmen worst nightmare. The used car TERMINATOR..

Bad offer detected - Response 1. "F*** you ********"....:middlefinger:

(little Arnold joke).
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #26
dbotsfordtat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO_Z28 View Post
Hopefully this article should be written about ALL businesses and not just the auto industry. How would it work when other industries worked and made little or no money because of articles like this? It would be nice to go into a restaurant and get the filet mignon for the price of a burger, or lobster for the price of a fish stick. God forbid the dealer makes a little money. No wonder the auto industry is in trouble. Profit is NOT a dirty word.

In fact, the article is saying that shoppers are stupid and can't make decisions on their own. If you can't understand clearly how to buy a car, stay out of the showroom or have a lawyer read all of the fine print before you sign it.
I own a business. The last thing I expect is for my customers to be experts on my industry, and I don't take advantage of their ignorance to increase my profit margin. If thats what you feel you have to do to make a living then maybe your in the wrong business. You are a role model for GM and these shady practices reflect poorly on the entire company.
dbotsfordtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #27
ravensjeff
100% Chevy & Harley Man

Drives: 2010 2SS: Blown LSX 376-B15
The price for all of our pre-ordered cars should already have been discussed prior to even ordering. It's kind of hard to bargain for a better price on a car that the dealer knows you've already ordered, and that they all know the first ones out will be a hot commodity.

I'm paying cash for the car, but don't expect them to sell it for under MSRP. I only asked to insure MSRP or lower, which was agreed to upfront. Plus I trust them on their word since I've bought many cars from the same dealer and have become fairly good friends with my same dealer for almost 20 years now.

I'm thinking one way to "Save" some money is on the "Trade-in". If you know it's worth $1,000- try and go for $1,600-- or something higher. You already know the base price is MSRP, so this is one way around getting the car for less and still heed to the MSRP price already agreed to.

The only "Extra" I bought when I got the 2008 SS Impala was the oil change/tire rotation one for $500. But it is the everyday driver. Won't even need that on the Camaro.
ravensjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #28
dbotsfordtat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
I don't have a problem paying MSRP, I think this car is worth every penny of it. My dealer agreed to sell the car to me for MSRP so no problem there for me, but my dealer does try to add things like extended warranties, undercoating, interior protection, ect...And they do it in the Finance office just like an article I read said they would. Not this time, I'm coming prepared.
dbotsfordtat is offline   Reply With Quote