Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
SAUCE

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS BLKonBLK
RATING HEADERS???

What makes headers so much better than others??? common since would say build qaulity just like anything else, but is it worth it to spend more on top brands such as ARH, Kooks or is the HP diff not that much diff??? Also do diff headers sound diff!!! This is something that I dont really have much expierence in as I have only owned a set of Hookers. I plan on getting ARH or Kooks.

2SS RS
CGM
black panel
DT spoiler

Right off the bat:
CAI
FAST LSXr Intake
LT's
SLP loudmouth
SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
ItIsWhatItIs

Drives: #5 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAUCE View Post
What makes headers so much better than others??? common since would say build qaulity just like anything else, but is it worth it to spend more on top brands such as ARH, Kooks or is the HP diff not that much diff??? Also do diff headers sound diff!!! This is something that I dont really have much expierence in as I have only owned a set of Hookers. I plan on getting ARH or Kooks.

To achieve the sound you want you have to combo the headers and the exhaust system for those tones. Have you considered Stainless Works? The Camaros that were starting up under and around the Tom Henry tent at Carlisle this past weekend were equipped from Stainless Works. Anyone who heard them can chime in with an opinion...I just happen to like the rumble it puts out on my Camaro.
ItIsWhatItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
JUSTINASS

Drives: 00 SS / 10 2SS RS RJT
yes different brands have different sounds...
the cheaper ones use thin wall pipe...and the coated ones will eventually rust...
teh high end products are usually stainless so they don't rust/pit and on the older f-bodys usually fit better...
JUSTINASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
ARH made 42rwhp/42rwtq on my L99 with tune. I'd have to say I'm pretty pleased. The sound is nasty @ WOT and quiet as stock when cruising at 75mph.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
To achieve the sound you want you have to combo the headers and the exhaust system for those tones. Have you considered Stainless Works? The Camaros that were starting up under and around the Tom Henry tent at Carlisle this past weekend were equipped from Stainless Works. Anyone who heard them can chime in with an opinion...I just happen to like the rumble it puts out on my Camaro.
STAINLESS WORKS is one of the best that you can get. KOOKS is also very good. Both of the companies have a good reputation with these LSx engines.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
For me, materials and quality are at the top with performance. I'll only go with stainless (I prefer T304) because I've had really good luck with stainless and I know it'll last. I had some T409s on my LT1 (SLP shorties) and I painted them and they looked and lasted for more than 50K miles without problem until I traded the car. I had a set of mid-steel MACs on my LS1 at first, and painted them and didn't have a problem. I've had two sets of T304 QTPs and I just like the look, especially of the polished tubes. They don't stay pretty if you get oil on 'em, but no biggie. Stainless will likely last longer than most of the rest of the car, and coatings will eventually flake and peal. Stainless is more expensive but if you spend a little more the first time, there's a good chance you save money over doing it a second time.

I like to have choices when it comes to collectors and primary sizes. I like the companies you mentioned because they meet most, if not all of my criteria, based off of my understanding and experience.

Cost is an issue too, however, I'd rather pay $1200 once and not $500 and then another $1200 a couple years later when I realize I didn't get what I really wanted or expected.

JMVHO

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #7
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
For me, materials and quality are at the top with performance. I'll only go with stainless (I prefer T304) because I've had really good luck with stainless and I know it'll last. I had some T409s on my LT1 (SLP shorties) and I painted them and they looked and lasted for more than 50K miles without problem until I traded the car. I had a set of mid-steel MACs on my LS1 at first, and painted them and didn't have a problem. I've had two sets of T304 QTPs and I just like the look, especially of the polished tubes. They don't stay pretty if you get oil on 'em, but no biggie. Stainless will likely last longer than most of the rest of the car, and coatings will eventually flake and peal. Stainless is more expensive but if you spend a little more the first time, there's a good chance you save money over doing it a second time.

I like to have choices when it comes to collectors and primary sizes. I like the companies you mentioned because they meet most, if not all of my criteria, based off of my understanding and experience.

Cost is an issue too, however, I'd rather pay $1200 once and not $500 and then another $1200 a couple years later when I realize I didn't get what I really wanted or expected.

JMVHO
Well said brother!! Do it once, pay a little more and be done with it.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
Well said brother!! Do it once, pay a little more and be done with it.
I've been there - done that - and it was expensive. I hope people don't make the same mistakes I did

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #9
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
just dont let stainless test drive you car after install. LOL

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Sales@Hennessey

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Sales@Hennessey
Here at Hennessey Performance on the 2010 Camaro's, we have been very happy with the results of the American Racing Headers. We have been using ARH products on many of our models we work on including the Jeep SRT8, Challenger R/T and SRT, Cadillac CTS-V, Corvettes including ZR1 and now the 2010 Camaro.

Speak to you soon,
Hennessey Sales
http://www.hennesseyperformancestore.com
Sales@Hennessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
ARH made 42rwhp/42rwtq on my L99 with tune. I'd have to say I'm pretty pleased. The sound is nasty @ WOT and quiet as stock when cruising at 75mph.
wasn't that the best of a bunch of LT dyno runs vs. the worst of the stock runs.

I really don't like how HP numbers are just thrown around to make some products look better than the competitors... It should be average stock vs. average upgraded....
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #12
TEAMBADDASS
2010 2SSRS Camaro #72

Drives: 08denali08dually72chevy2010SS
Quote:
I haven't decided on a exhaust yet...but this is arh with stock muffler's
TEAMBADDASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1BADZ View Post
just dont let stainless test drive you car after install. LOL
Why you gotta' bring up old sh*t?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #14
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Guys I'd very much be willing to work with some of you guys & do back to back engine & dyno testing with all the different header brands if you'd like. I personally have a few sets of ARH headers here & they are super nice! We also will have the Kooks here, and I will have our TSP header system here within a couple weeks! I'd be more than happy to work with you guys to get before & after of each header in comparison, but we'd need to get a few independent guys here at the same time. Maybe if I could find buyers for a set of the ARH, and Kooks headers ahead of time we could use them for testing on a test car prior to shipping them off to the customer. As a result of course I'd be willing to give them a good discount for us putting 4-5 miles on dyno time on they're headers!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote