Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Bleeding Clutch....FAIL!!!!

You know, I'm not a master engine builder, or a certified ASE automotive mechanic, but I do sort of pride myself on being able to do most of the work on my own car. Well, this evening, I had my butt kicked by the supposedly simple task of bleeding my clutch!!! I had the commonly complained about 2nd gear grind, with a little bit of 3rd gear grind added in there too. So, I thought I would attempt to bleed out my clutch before spending money on an Ideal Garage Clutch Master Cylinder. I even watched the videos on YouTube that IdealG made showing how to do it. Ummmm...not quite as easy as it looks!!! Wow....what a royal pain in the @$$!!! First off, the little rubber cap that covers the bleed fitting....when trying to remove it, well of course it dropped down inside the bell housing!!! Crap!!! I guess all I can do it hope it doesn't interfere with anything and hopefully someday it will blow out the bottom vents??? Next, trying to get a tiny 8mm wrench on the bleed fitting positioned at about 10 o'clock is damn near impossible. The fitting is recessed just far enough into the housing that trying to get a bite on it with that tiny wrench is very difficult to say the least. With only about 1" between the bell housing and the transmission tunnel heat shield, getting the hose on the fitting is even a chore, I had to use some very long pliers to try and push the hose over the fitting, while trying not to knock the wrench off of it. Man, finally, got everything in position, squeeze my hand up there to turn the wrench. Get a little bit of a turn, and I hear gurgling noise and see fluid starting to enter the hose. All is great, until the freakin' damn hose comes off the fitting!!! I quickly try to close the fitting, but now I've got brake fluid dripping out of the bottom vents on the bell housing!!! Okay, that's enough for me, I'm getting pissed now. Can't get the wrench back on the fitting to make sure it's closed good, had to use a ratchet and socket. I was worried sick about dropping the socket down in there too!!! Luckily, that didn't happen. So, I get everything closed up, and thought well maybe that little bit of gurgling was enough to get rid of my grinding issues....NOPE, still doing it!! Well, I'm not messing with it, at least not until I have a better method of doing this!!! I guess it will just have to grind a bit until then. And someday....if I ever have the transmission out, I will definitely be installing the Tick Performance Remote Clutch Bleed Hose without a doubt!!! Not sure what to do now. Maybe one of those offset/angled wrenches would help??? Maybe even go buy a cheap wrench and see if I can modify it to get a better angle on it??? Anyone have any advice or pointers?

Okay.....End Rant!! Thanks for listening!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
RxDoc08
Jason

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I ended up with the same problem as you and not being able to get a small wrench to fit. I went to a local harbor freight store and bought the cheapest set of offset metric wrenches I could find and they worked great. They were long enough to be able to turn from the side of the transmission instead of having to try and get my hand near the top, and I was able to get the job done in a matter of minutes. While the wrenches weren't pretty, they got the job done. Just be careful if you go this route and inspect the wrenches before purchase. Some packages had wrenches missing teeth or out of round. Here's a link to the ones I bought. http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...set-32042.html
Kook's headers w/ high flow cats, Borla S-Type, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI Inc. intake, Jannetty race scoop, Roto-Fab washer bottle relocation, Jannetty rough idle blower cam, DSS 9" w/ 3.70 gears, RPM Level 6 trans, Street Slayer Twin Carbon clutch, MGW Shifter, Pfadt trailing arms.
RxDoc08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
blazzin1

Thanks for the advice....I'll probably give that a try!!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
When the time comes to remove the tranny, definitely invest in the tick speed bleeder. It's worth its weight in gold.
Forged LS3, FED M311 heads, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Carslyle racing 15in conversion, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id1300x, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Irnwkrkev

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
Try installing the remote bleeder without pulling the trans! I was using my cellphone to take pics of what position the wrench was in and how far from the bleed tube.

Much better with it but my luck, the speed bleeder doesn't work so it's still a two person job, but MUCH easier!
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
danielblack60

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8, 1998 K1500 5spd
Buy a cheap hand vacuum pump kit. Pull about 20 inches of vacuum at the reservoir and pump the clutch pedal 15 to 20 times. You will have to pull up on the pedal because of the vacuum being on the system. Release the vacuum and you're good to go! I've been bleeding them that way ever since the 5th gen came out and I've never had an issue. It really makes it easy!

Just remember to pump up your brakes afterward if you still have the clutch system married with the brake reservoir! Sometimes it's enough vacuum to compress your caliper pistons.

It seems like it shouldn't be that easy but it really is. I couldn't believe how well it worked.

Previous Rides
2010 Camaro 1SS M6-12.14 @114 Bolt Ons
2014 GMC Sierra SLT 5.3/6L80
danielblack60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #7
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I used a borescope with a wireless receiver screen to install my remote bleeder. Positioned the camera and used the screen for the install. You won't realize the convenience of the remote bleeder until you use it. Same goes for the borescope.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielblack60 View Post
Buy a cheap hand vacuum pump kit. Pull about 20 inches of vacuum at the reservoir and pump the clutch pedal 15 to 20 times. You will have to pull up on the pedal because of the vacuum being on the system. Release the vacuum and you're good to go! I've been bleeding them that way ever since the 5th gen came out and I've never had an issue. It really makes it easy!

Just remember to pump up your brakes afterward if you still have the clutch system married with the brake reservoir! Sometimes it's enough vacuum to compress your caliper pistons.

It seems like it shouldn't be that easy but it really is. I couldn't believe how well it worked.
What do you use to seal the hose from the vacuum pump to the fluid reservoir to pull the vacuum?
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
I have done it several times. Is it easy? Eehhh not really but once you get the hang of it, it can be done fairly easily. I suggest going in head first from the passenger side. Feet by the passenger door. I snake my arms up there and get the wrench in, tube then bleed. I use a little 12 point 8 mm wrench. Mine never had the rubber cap. Hope that helps man.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
blazzin1

I did get my clutch bled out finally. I used my Motive Power Bleeder and I went out and bought a long reach brake bleed wrench with the angled ends on it, and it made the whole process a lot easier. It helped get rid of "some" of the grinding, but not all. I think I'll be making the purchase of the Ideal G Clutch Master Cylinder sometime soon, and the Tick Performance clutch line.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
xjer22x

Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
Damn, all I can say is my tick performance remote bleeder was worth every penny..I strongly recommend it to avoid the headache in the future.

sent from my galaxy s3. that would explain the errors.
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
MA2010SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjer22x View Post
Damn, all I can say is my tick performance remote bleeder was worth every penny..I strongly recommend it to avoid the headache in the future.

sent from my galaxy s3. that would explain the errors.
2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:03 AM   #13
ArmySStrong513

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro
I bled the brakes and clutch fluid on my 2010 SS and to be honest it’s not as bad as I was thinking it would be. The hardest part of the whole process is positioning yourself underneath the car to access the bleeder on the transmission. Unfortunately I did drop the bleeder cap into the transmission but thankfully I found it later when I moved the car so it must’ve worked it’s way out by jacking up the car. I used a motive brake bleeder kit to do all of this with clear tubing purchased from Lowe’s 3/16 inner diameter 5/16 outer diameter. Worked like a charm and I can gladly go into further details if anyone is attempting to try this themselves. Glad I changed my brake fluid out, it was damn near BLACK.
ArmySStrong513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #14
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
I know exactly what you're talking about.
And since the change of fluid in the clutch circuit is a regular annual operation...

So when I replaced the clutch (about a month after buying a car), I installed a remote bleeder.

Now I sit comfortably inside the car, bring the remote deaerator through the open door, drink Coke and change the fluid in the clutch.
Nothing problem
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote