Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-11-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
Mil

Drives: 2013 Victory Red w/ automatic #671
codes P069e followed by p2635 on zl1 going down the track?

Anyone have any ideas or have had this before tracking your zl1 at the drag strip.

I've been drag racing this thing since last yr with out any issues til now.

I had cleared the code initially when it first occurred going down the track; but the codes came back and is tripped only from making a few passes down the qt mile.

Under hard driving road conditions they don't get tripped.??

_ Mil
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=p069e
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
What mods have you made? It sounds like your fuel pressure is dropping during a dragstrip run. At high load the FPCM commands 65 psi fuel pressure. If the actual pressure is less than commanded it will set those codes.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
Mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
What mods have you made? It sounds like your fuel pressure is dropping during a dragstrip run. At high load the FPCM commands 65 psi fuel pressure. If the actual pressure is less than commanded it will set those codes.
only mod on it is a rotofab
CAI.. stock factory tune.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #5
Mil

P069E .. followed by P2635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mil View Post
only mod on it is a rotofab
CAI.. stock factory tune.
I must be the only poor soul in this forum with this issue? I took the Z in to the dealership at Rockmont Ourisman and came away with nothing but no confidence what so ever that they even attempted a thorough diagnostics of the fuel system to determine why the (FPCM) Fuel pump control module sent a P069E command to the ECU to trip the MIL/check engine light. When the MIL tripped making my pass down the track at Capital raceway i felt a surge or loss of power half way down the track with my foot all the way down to the floor holding at 100% full open throttle. The secondary code that explained why FPCM sent a P069E command was code P2635 - Fuel Pump 'A' Low Flow/Performance?????

Which leaves me to feel that I may be dealing with a possible failing fuel pump. But the kick in the head is these codes had occurred twice only at the track on two separate occasions and it had no effect on the drivability of the car; its still currently running strong driving around on the highway, and locally. The first instance the codes were cleared with an OBDii scanner. The second occurrence i drove it til the MIL sort it self out.

I want to keep this thread alive for hope of anyone who knows a friend with a similar issue who owns a ZL1 or CTS-v who's not tuned and only has a CAI that may know something and which dealership in Maryland properly put in the time and effort and have resolved the issue. My ZL1 power train warranty is due to expire this yr August 2015; so if there is any GM representative looking at this can shout out to Rockmount Ourisman in Rockville MD to do the right thing do your job and help create promoters, and not detractors... that would be appreciated.

Thanks Mil

Last edited by Mil; 07-22-2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #6
slickmetal

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1 A6
only time I felt what you did was when my old '11 SS was modified and tuned and I didn't turn all my traction control off. Yes, so full throttle and when it was going to shift it felt like it died, then BAM full throttle. Figured the car was cutting fuel because it sensed there would be a traction issue at full throttle. Never happened again when I did the full disable...Only thing is, the car never threw or kept a code.
- 2013 Black ZL1 - A6 - Lingenfelter/Cordes Stage 2.5 packages E85 - FORE Fuel System - Kooks LTHs - Magnaflow Cans - Rotofab CAI/Big Gulp/Coolant Tank - Savini 3pc Forged - Underhood Dress Up (ACC & Drake & Moroso) - Hurst Shifter Kit - Custom Audio w/ JL Audio Sub/Amp/Stealthbox - Hand Polished Brace - Oracle Ghost Sidemarkers - LEDs everywhere - 624/617 on E85 & 545/548 on 91 (Sept 2015) - 693rwhp (Dec 15)
slickmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
sounds like a weak fuel pump....I had to have mine changed for being "weak" after cam...new pump does fine....although I am maxed out on it!
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #8
ZL1 TIBS

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2012 ZL1
This happened to me at the dragstrip last time also. When it threw the code, my car backfired. It happened on the burnout and then once during the run. the car ran a normal time so I wasn't too concerned. A guy at the track with a scanner read the code and we cleared it and it hasn't come back since. I attributed it to having low fuel level and uncovering the pump inlet. Doesn't make 100% sense though because you would think it would get worse as the night went on. I actually ran my best pass ever after this happened.
ZL1 TIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
True about the gas tank level. Were you low? But the solution will be to scan the ECM when it happens. Like a hard drag pass. And watch fuel pressure on the scan tool. See if it is dropping at WOT.
And what brand CAI did you put on. If you put on a CAI and didn't tune it you fuel trims may be way out of whack. And that might result in a lean condition when pushed hard on the drag strip.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #10
Mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
True about the gas tank level. Were you low? But the solution will be to scan the ECM when it happens. Like a hard drag pass. And watch fuel pressure on the scan tool. See if it is dropping at WOT.
And what brand CAI did you put on. If you put on a CAI and didn't tune it you fuel trims may be way out of whack. And that might result in a lean condition when pushed hard on the drag strip.
Wow now i feel bad..LOL interesting to see a few of y'all mention the same thing that Ourisman was implying about having low fuel. But I'm sure i were 3/4 of tank full at least well over a half tank of fuel on the two occasions these engine codes tripped going down the track. My first pull is good after a long drive to the track. The codes tripped on my 2nd run. And yes I do have a ROTO FAB CAI installed without a tune. What is WOT?
Old 07-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #11
Mil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 TIBS View Post
This happened to me at the dragstrip last time also. When it threw the code, my car backfired. It happened on the burnout and then once during the run. the car ran a normal time so I wasn't too concerned. A guy at the track with a scanner read the code and we cleared it and it hasn't come back since. I attributed it to having low fuel level and uncovering the pump inlet. Doesn't make 100% sense though because you would think it would get worse as the night went on. I actually ran my best pass ever after this happened.
what is the pump inlet? did you mean you forgot to put your fuel cap back on and ran your car down the track?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #12
Candr3535

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black Vert M6 #5591
Wot= wide open throttle
Dyna-Tech Headers Ceramic Coated w/Super Flo Cats, JRE Custom Rough Idle Racing Cam Package and 125 RWHP Pulley Kit w/ 28% pulley, Custom Tune by Ted, ID850 injectors, JMS Fuel Booster, NGK Plugs, MSD Plug Wires, Roto-Fab CAI, Roto-Fab Big Gulp, Elite Catch Can, Mild to Wild, 90mm VMaxx Ported Throttle Body, Skip Shift Elim., D3 Coolant Resevoir, Separated Clutch Resevoir, and Fuzzy Red Dice..
Candr3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #13
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Had the same happen to my at one of my HPDE events, cleared it while still at the track with my Bluetooth OBDII scanner that I was using to datalog with. It never came back and I had a relatively full tank btw.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #14
Mil

Well folks I'm gonna share a good read to help my fellow ZL1 owners that may run into the same engines codes i'm dealing with currently. This write up sheds some light in understanding how our fuel system operate to maintain proper fuel pressure for the injectors.

http://injectordynamics.com/articles...ure-explained/

the last few paragraphs confirmed something that i caught that Ourisman may have overlooked; when at WOT the fuel pressure should be higher than when at idle? Could anyone chime in to confirm this fact in comparison with your own ZL1.. ???

My scan tool saved a freeze data from the ECM of what was going on when the check engine lights P069E and P2635 event occurred. At Throttle command 100% (WOT), my fuel pressure KPAG reading was at 312; when i monitored the system with my OBDii scanner while the car is idling the Throttle is about 9.5% with fuel pressure KPAG 349. I would think at 100% WOT fuel pressure KPAG would be higher than when at idle?

Last edited by Mil; 07-26-2015 at 08:00 PM.