Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #1
vsc85us

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, Metallic Blue, 6spd
2010 Camaro SS E-Brake

Hello everyone😎

I'm new to this forum. Proud owner of a 2010 Camaro SS 6spd Manual Transmission 99k miles on it. I recently ran into an issue where the emergency brake disengaged and rolled off my driveway. Luckily I was in there when it happened and stopped it from hitting the street. I'm thinking the parking brake cable is either broken or it has stretched out. I've looked at numerous of forums over the internet and found out that adjusting the cable through the rear discs was the best quick remedy. Unfortunately it didn't help. I realize that I'm probably the 1000th person asking this question lol. I was wondering if anyone has ran into this issue?? The ebrake currently has no tension and is very loose. I was thinking of just having brakemasters check it and tell me what is wrong and then I was going to see if I can just buy the parts and fix it myself. Any input would be greatly appreciated😎
vsc85us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
Most likely your e-brake cable has snapped.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
First off, ALWAYS leave it in gear when parked. Secondly you need to pull the handle all the way up, if not the brake will not hold. Once again ALWAYS leave it in gear.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
vsc85us

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, Metallic Blue, 6spd
Right on I see... yes, rookie mistake on my part�� I know now rob leave it in gear... live and learn right?��
vsc85us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:45 AM   #5
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
There are also directions to park a wheel on curbs for up hill and down hill parking with a stick and yes the ebrake you have to wrench it so far up you think you can break it , undoubtedly one of the not so optimal features GM should have improved. Have had posts on here before of people wrecking the car right into trees off a steep hill down a drive way....... Camaro taking off from drive ways.......on a friggin mountain headed for the cliff.... Not cool.

One night while on motor pool guard duty , ( a shared rotation of PITA duties between us infantrymen), at Baumholder I believe in West Germany I was walking the long rows of vehicles on the hilly parking lot when I laughed as a jeep rolled back and rammed a 2 1/2 ton truck..... Just my luck it was mine and my S-4 captain, had taken it to town and not set the parking brake firm enough, and BTW it was friggin freezing...yes stuff happens, and that's just part of life in the field.......better than changing a differential on a tree stump.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
My cable snapped on my 2012 took it to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty. Not sure how much yours would be out of warranty.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
SO when you did the rear adjustment what was the condition of the adjusters? rusty? the inner disk/drum? if too worn obviously adjusting won't work....can't hurt to get new disk/rotors/e-brake components and fix it yerself...save$$$...with 99k prob a good idea..
Old 12-12-2021, 08:46 PM   #8
GAFreddy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS & 2013 ZL1 Vert
I know old thread... BUT....not one response in how to actually help? Hahaha, unlike this site.

My daughter snapped mine the other day playing in the cab, is how I cam to this.
GAFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote