Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
JB_21

Drives: 2012
OnStar. To keep or not to keep? ...That is the question.

I love OnStar but considering that i only use it for Navigation, it might not be worth it to fork up $28 a month for that one service. Even at $18 for that safe and sound plan is not worth my while...

Found this other plan called "FamilyLink" (Location Service) for $3.99 which sounds interesting. Anybody have this?
https://www.onstar.com/web/portal/family-link

But my OnStar is about to expire in 8 days and wondering who kept their subscription... or not??
JB_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
Am17

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS, Ashen Grey
Used FamilyLink for a while, only truly useful if you're going to allow anyone other than yourself drive your baby. The fee can be negotiated if you renew with a yearly subscription. Your best bet would be to call them with your cars Onstar button andask for any current promotions for a yearly subscription. $149 for the Safe & Sound seems to be common. I wasn't all that sure about renewing my subscription but was in an accident and they were quick to send an officer to file a report. Could have used my cellphone just as easily but was pretty upset at the moment.
Am17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
I just like the onstar app for the phone and being able to remote start and lock etc from anywhere. That is the only thing that makes me consider keeping it but Im not sure its worth the cost.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
blgl1800

Drives: 11 SS/RS Vert/E-ForceSupercharger
for the cost of one year I bought a voice activated Garmin GPS which has a more user friendly setup (and included traffic - free lifetime map upgrades).
blgl1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
mattsfirstSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by blgl1800 View Post
for the cost of one year I bought a voice activated Garmin GPS which has a more user friendly setup (and included traffic - free lifetime map upgrades).
I dont see the point in paying for a gps anymore...? I use google nav on my phone, its free, accurate, bluetooth connects to my car. Dont get me wrong I use the onstar nav because I have it and its nicer but I would totally survive with my cell as my gps.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Dawn55430

Drives: 2023 Radiant Red 2LT
I'm keeping my OnStar. Couple years ago didn't think I needed it, but then a friend and I got into an accident somewhere in the middle of Wisconsin. We were both unhurt but pretty shook up, Even though both of us had phones, they went flying when our purses dumped and cell service was a little spotty in that area. That voice over the speaker was so welcome at that point. Not to mention they knew EXACTLY where to tell the police to show up. Best I could have done was the road we were on and the last town we passed, and a guess how many miles back it was. That was in her car, but I activated OnStar in my own car as soon as we got back home. As for the cost, I've wasted more than that on a pair of party shoes I only wore once. So it seemed like a pretty good investment for extra peace of mind. Plus I got a little insurance discount.

Not to mention the app that lets me start the car from the basement at work well beyond the car's remote capability is going to be so nice this winter.
Dawn55430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
I've personally used Onstar to report an accident and assist a crash out in the middle of nowhere, you never know when your going to need it. That is reason enough for me to keep paying for it. I don't need the talk or navigation though.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
OnStar decided this for me. Worst customer service ever. I wanted to renew once my free trial ended and never got anything regarding a renewal. Called and said that my online account won't let me log in and they couldn't do a thing. I prefer to renew online and apparently they are retarded and can't figure out why I can't access my account.

As someone who manages, develops and designs enterprise level websites, I find no excuse for this.
Ringo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
monicatomokc

Drives: 2014 Corvette 2021 Tahoe Z71
There is also that added benefit if the car is stolen or you're car-jacked; it makes it easier for the police to track your vehicle down. I dropped everything except the Safe & Sound Plan. It could pay dividends in the long run....
Old 11-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
I didnt think its worth the $28 a month...real cool though...but not worth the money
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
WGAS
Fightinfire921 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
OnStar Advisor

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo64 View Post
OnStar decided this for me. Worst customer service ever. I wanted to renew once my free trial ended and never got anything regarding a renewal. Called and said that my online account won't let me log in and they couldn't do a thing. I prefer to renew online and apparently they are retarded and can't figure out why I can't access my account.

As someone who manages, develops and designs enterprise level websites, I find no excuse for this.
That doesn't sound like a typical experience with OnStar. I'm so sorry the advisors weren't able to assist you. I'd be happy to help. Can you send me a private message with some information and I can check into your account? I can get you set up in no time.

-Jessica, OnStar Adviosr
Social Media Group
OnStar Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
cgreer72

Drives: '13 1LT RS
I just bought a '13 this past weekend. Dealer told me I needed to press the button and listen to the schpeel. I don't think I'm going to even go that far with it. I won't be using it. That $28 can go towards my car payment.....or beer.
cgreer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
I did not renew after the trial period.In fact I did not even use onstar during the trial period.
pricing here in Canada is too costly IMO.
something like $24.95/month for safe and sound and $39.95/month with directions.
way too high.
I just use my old garmin GPS which has lifetime upgrade maps and traffic.

The onstar concept is interesting and I would consider it, if the price was right.Ie a one time reasonable payment for as long as you own the car.
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote