Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Longhorn SS

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro SSRS L99
Help needed on axle-back choice

I have an A6 with Roto-Fab, 1-3/4" ARH LTs w/cats & X-pipe, stock mufflers and tune by LMR. I'd like advice on which axle-back to go with given the following:

1. I like how the car is quiet cruising, but loud when I hit the gas (want to preserve this).

2. No drone, please! (AFM is tuned out, by the way)

3. Not a big fan of popping.

4. A bit more HP/torque and less weight would be a bonus. (probably 2.5" for low end as I went with 1-3/4" LTs for the same reason).

So here's the part where everyone says their setup is the best. What I'm looking for is semi-independent reviews from people, or performance shops, who have done a setup similar if not equal to mine with Corsa, Borla, Solo, Magnaflow, etc and can tell which best meets the above criteria. If more than one does, that's great. Then which sounds most like American muscle under WOT.

Videos are OK, but hearing it in person is best as anyone can agree.

Also, a retune won't be necessary, will it? I don't think so for the LS3 with its straight through mufflers, but for the L99? Should be minimal effect, right?

Thanks in advance!

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - Roto-Fab CAI, ARH 1-3/4" LTs w/cats, LMR tune, KW V3 coilovers, Pfadt F&R sway bars, end links, rear trailing arms, tie rods, solid subframe bushings, HPS brake pads

Last edited by Longhorn SS; 12-22-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Longhorn SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
I'm going to say Magnaflow 2.5 street series...Quite while cruizing and loud
at WOT...Here's a good review.http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...82#post1173282
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
mr_desmo
Banned

Drives: beated up old mini austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn SS View Post
I have an A6 with Roto-Fab, 1-3/4" ARH LTs w/cats, stock mufflers and tune by LMR. I'd like advice on which axle-back to go with given the following:

1. I like how the car is quiet cruising, but loud when I hit the gas (want to preserve this).

2. No drone, please! (AFM is tuned out, by the way)

3. Not a big fan of popping.

4. A bit more HP/torque and less weight would be a bonus. (probably 2.5" for low end as I went with 1-3/4" LTs for the same reason).

So here's the part where everyone says their setup is the best. What I'm looking for is semi-independent reviews from people, or performance shops, who have done a setup similar if not equal to mine with Corsa, Borla, Solo, Magnaflow, etc and can tell which best meets the above criteria. If more than one does, that's great. Then which sounds most like American muscle under WOT.

Videos are OK, but hearing it in person is best as anyone can agree.

Also, a retune won't be necessary, will it? I don't think so for the LS3 with its straight through mufflers, but for the L99? Should be minimal effect, right?

Thanks in advance!
Dont fool yourself the l99 muffler are different but they are straight thry equally...they just have a kind of balance pipe thats all...myself i say because of the l99 catback resonators the gains are going to be in weight more then everything....the borla setup is really nice and to hear what the sound of borla touring catback (sport is slightly louder) sound with borla longtubes
mr_desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
Mzodarg
Remembering those in Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Blk w/IOM Int
I would do a catback and get rid of the resonator or remove resonator, replace with and X pipe and leave stock trashcans. Resonator is the most restricitive on the A6.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Longhorn SS

Resonator is already gone. ARH LTs come with 3" everything back to the axle, including X pipe. Not needed anymore as AFM was tuned out.

2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - Roto-Fab CAI, ARH 1-3/4" LTs w/cats, LMR tune, KW V3 coilovers, Pfadt F&R sway bars, end links, rear trailing arms, tie rods, solid subframe bushings, HPS brake pads
Old 12-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
mr_desmo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn SS View Post
Resonator is already gone. ARH LTs come with 3" everything back to the axle, including X pipe. Not needed anymore as AFM was tuned out.
Anyways the clip represent what borla touring would sound like on your car...want louder?s type
Old 12-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_desmo View Post
Dont fool yourself the l99 muffler are different but they are straight thry equally...they just have a kind of balance pipe thats all...myself i say because of the l99 catback resonators the gains are going to be in weight more then everything....the borla setup is really nice and to hear what the sound of borla touring catback (sport is slightly louder) sound with borla longtubes
The L99 mufflers are NOT straight through buy any means ..

Here are 3 Photos of a L99 cut open see for yourself.

Attached Images

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Longhorn SS

Yep, I've seen these. Thus my original post and what I've seen from others about performance gains on muffler changeout on L99 vs LS3. The reason for the L99 mufflers is lost on my car now as I have tuned out the AFM. So I don't need an L99 specific muffler setup.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
mr_desmo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97one View Post
The L99 mufflers are NOT straight through buy any means ..

Here are 3 Photos of a L99 cut open see for yourself.

LOOK it IS straight thru...its not because you have pipe plumbed on the sidethat its not straight thru...this is briliant engineering to reduce noise and not performance thru reasonance...
Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
3" Magnaflow mufflers without a doubt. The are exactly as you described wanting. Pretty quiet when crusing but go WOT and the sound comes alive.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ADM
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #11
Danny Thomas

Drives: 67 RS, 81 Turbo TA, 2010 ABM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Danny Thomas
The Borla touring system will be exactly what you will want. I had this setup on my C6 vet and it was very quiet except when I got on it.Sometimes I thought it was too quiet. No popping
Danny Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #12
mr_desmo
Banned

Any of borla touring or magnaflow will be perfect
Old 12-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Longhorn,
I have Solo Performance quantum axlebacks installed on my SS. I posted my impressions along with some driving videos here.

Pre and post installation vids are here.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 AM   #14
Longhorn SS

Thank you, but in essence I don't have an L99 anymore as the AFM is tuned out. I also have headers. I'm looking for advice from those who have heard several axle-backs on a setup like mine, essentially an LS3 with ARH LTs w/cats.