Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 07-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #15
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
No offense taken, nor would there have been in the absence of your assurance.

You have to remember that back when I bought my GT in early 2008 there was no Camaro option (and the then-recently re-introduced Challenger was simply too big and too heavy). Whatever I was going to get post-2007 or so was eventually going to replace a 1979 Chevy Malibu that had itself been pushed more in the corner-carving direction than was done to most of those cars. It's been fun developing the '08 as a dual-purpose car, and I guess at least moderately successful.

I also tend to keep cars a long time - as an overall average since buying new cars, that currently stands at a little over than 15 years each (18 to disposal for the ones we no longer have). Whether that means I've just been lucky all these years (not entirely) or I've actually matched the right cars to us as individuals, I don't know. But neither of us gets the itch to replace a car that's fun to drive and at least reasonably reliable, and keeping one or two of our "old cars" around as spares instead of trading them in has been working well for us, our kids, and most recently the oldest grand-kid.

On the matter of stick axle vs IRS, it's been my position that a well-done stick axle suspension is at least the equal of an indifferently done-up IRS. And I've driven some IRS cars that in full street trim weren't very good (a couple were real stinkers, if pushed hard on a road that wasn't flat). I mention that mainly to caution against considering IRS some sort of magic potion for every known ride and handling ill. The details still matter, perhaps more so with IRS. Heh . . . over on a different forum some of us were discussing the merits of the 3-link suspension over other live axle options some 3 or 4 years before that configuration showed up on the S197 Mustang.

The IRS in her car is at least decent, I've driven a 6th gen 1SS a little more than moderately hard, and a Z51 'Vette at fair speed around a road course. If I was shopping today for a new car primarily for myself, the top two candidates (maybe the only candidates) would be an SS 1LE Camaro and the GT/PP2 Mustang. That's as far as I've got.

Bottom line, the fact that I'm still driving a stick axle car on the kind of track that has lots of different corners isn't a matter of preference so much as it's a consequence of the way things came together. We're both now retired, which has a way of stifling car purchases done "on impulse".

Norm
Old 07-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #16
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99 Vert Commem Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
No offense taken, nor would there have been in the absence of your assurance.

You have to remember that back when I bought my GT in early 2008 there was no Camaro option (and the then-recently re-introduced Challenger was simply too big and too heavy). Whatever I was going to get post-2007 or so was eventually going to replace a 1979 Chevy Malibu that had itself been pushed more in the corner-carving direction than was done to most of those cars. It's been fun developing the '08 as a dual-purpose car, and I guess at least moderately successful.

I also tend to keep cars a long time - as an overall average since buying new cars, that currently stands at a little over than 15 years each (18 to disposal for the ones we no longer have). Whether that means I've just been lucky all these years (not entirely) or I've actually matched the right cars to us as individuals, I don't know. But neither of us gets the itch to replace a car that's fun to drive and at least reasonably reliable, and keeping one or two of our "old cars" around as spares instead of trading them in has been working well for us, our kids, and most recently the oldest grand-kid.

On the matter of stick axle vs IRS, it's been my position that a well-done stick axle suspension is at least the equal of an indifferently done-up IRS. And I've driven some IRS cars that in full street trim weren't very good (a couple were real stinkers, if pushed hard on a road that wasn't flat). I mention that mainly to caution against considering IRS some sort of magic potion for every known ride and handling ill. The details still matter, perhaps more so with IRS. Heh . . . over on a different forum some of us were discussing the merits of the 3-link suspension over other live axle options some 3 or 4 years before that configuration showed up on the S197 Mustang.

The IRS in her car is at least decent, I've driven a 6th gen 1SS a little more than moderately hard, and a Z51 'Vette at fair speed around a road course. If I was shopping today for a new car primarily for myself, the top two candidates (maybe the only candidates) would be an SS 1LE Camaro and the GT/PP2 Mustang. That's as far as I've got.

Bottom line, the fact that I'm still driving a stick axle car on the kind of track that has lots of different corners isn't a matter of preference so much as it's a consequence of the way things came together. We're both now retired, which has a way of stifling car purchases done "on impulse".

Norm
Great information Norm! Thanks for the response.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:16 AM   #17
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99 Vert Commem Ed.
Would 18x9.5 & 38 offset squared wheels fit an LS without fit or suspension issues? Would 18x8.5 & 32 offset front with 18x9.5 & 38 offset rear wheels be better?