Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
GreyGhost

Drives: Custom CGM/Pearl White 2010 Camaro
Lightbulb Latest technology creates a GreyGhost makeover

Don’t get me wrong, the Cyber Grey Metalic exterior color on the GreyGhost is an amazing color. But the amber halos from AAC, tinted side and tail lights compliments of Headlight Armour and the Autobot bowtie decal from Aesthetic Creations were screaming for something more unique.

After doing some research, I found the FLX Paint wrap technology and chose to go with something a little more bold than just stripes. Inspired by the color combination of the Dale Ernhardt Jr. edition and the great two-tone details of the Calimonster, I opted for a whole new look.

And as luck would have it, the FLX Paint folks worked with Restyling Magazine to do a photo shoot both during and after the transformation. Looks like the GreyGhost is going to be the subject of an article on paint wrapping in the May issue.

Paint wrap is automotive paint (pearl white and candy copper in my case) with a special additive for flexibility. The paint is laid down on an adhesive vinyl backing, then shipped to an installer to be applied like a clear mask.

It is much more durable than vinyl because it is a clear-coated paint finish that you buff, wax and polish like the rest of the car. It provides protection, can be removed without damaging the factory paint, and cost much less than a custom paint job.

My work was done by a tint/mask shop that had never worked with the material before. The reactions I get from people are a lot of fun. IMHO, the results are just awesome. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Next up is a custom painted two-tone engine cover along with candy copper painted bowties and caliper covers to finish the look. Hope you like it.
Attached Images

CGM w/ Pearl White and Kandy Kopper FlexPaint wrap, matching bow ties and brake covers, amber halos & fogs"
Awesome image by: Hazman
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
chrisgalles
TEXAS FIGHT!

Drives: Awesome
How much does this cost??

Looks fantastic by the way
chrisgalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
GreyGhost

Since I had them do the bottom 2/3 of the car, which is all the hard parts (curves, openings, etc) this runs about $3,200 to $3,500. My guess that custom paint would have cost nearly twice that.

CGM w/ Pearl White and Kandy Kopper FlexPaint wrap, matching bow ties and brake covers, amber halos & fogs"
Old 03-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
First time they ever worked with it? Wow. that's awesome.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
GreyGhost

Yeah. I was amazed out how well it turned out. The second to last pic shows that it looks just as good from 12" away as it does from 12 feet. The young man that did the install, Zach, did one heck of a job!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
very nice, tasteful. sweet.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Wow, that's really fantastic!
Old 03-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
LuckyWife

Drives: Victoria
Looks great!
LuckyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
GreyGhost

Thanks for the nice words, glad folks like it.
-Brad

Old 03-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
PWND

Drives: 2SS RS M6 Autobot
Send a message via ICQ to PWND Send a message via AIM to PWND
very very

Your ride looks super cool... very nice...

I really like the head on/front angled pic...

I think the sideview pic looks good too, but there is just something my eyeballs are not catching onto... so could they have left off a small strip of white from the bottom of the door/side... to kinda match the curves towards the rear quarter panel(just above door handle)? I suppose it would kinda make it look like a chick's waist... make that camaro @$$ stand out even more... lol...

anyway... again.. very very nice!!

...and i see the gill inserts... so were they cut out later? or are they vinyls ontop of vinyl/paint wrap... any problems with that?(either way.. however it was done...)
PWND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Very nice
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
GreyGhost

Thanks PWND. Not sure I follow your suggestion about the side, though there is something with the sun reflection playing off the contours that might be catching your eye. The copper stripe follows the curves, riding about 1/2" below the break.

The gill fades are Autotrim Design vinyls added over the pearl white. The shop put them on by accident, but I think they look pretty good. I might tweak them a little. No problem adding them, since the surface is standard clear coat like any other car.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Wow! That looks great. I'm amazed!
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
PWND

Drives: 2SS RS M6 Autobot
Send a message via ICQ to PWND Send a message via AIM to PWND
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
Thanks PWND. Not sure I follow your suggestion about the side, though there is something with the sun reflection playing off the contours that might be catching your eye. The copper stripe follows the curves, riding about 1/2" below the break.

The gill fades are Autotrim Design vinyls added over the pearl white. The shop put them on by accident, but I think they look pretty good. I might tweak them a little. No problem adding them, since the surface is standard clear coat like any other car.

yeah.. all the pics look outstanding... but there is just something that didnt look right to me(and probably only to me)... what I was talking about was where the copper stripe follows the curves towards the rear where the door & rear quarter panel meet... then to have something similar (even if it was just a small bit...) along the bottom... i suppose it would kinda make it look something like a hour-glass(but horizontal instead of vertical...)

anyway... not important... not trying to take away from your glory...
ill be quite now & let you and your ride get the praise you both deserve...

again... very very nice job...
PWND is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobot, dale, paint wrap, two tone