Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
TripleBlack20112SS

Drives: 2011 Triple Black 2SS Convertible
Squeaks from the top when it's down

OK I am a newbie here and a newbie to owning a Camaro but I love it!! 2011 2SS Conv. Triple black. Got a great end of year deal on it in December. Great vehicle for the money. However, I'm finding some concerns as I go along.

First, the right rear window makes a grinding noise going up and down. The window functions fine but the noise is disconcerting.

Second, the left dash vent buzzes and vibrates at highway speeds and higher. Very annoying.

Lastly and probably most concerning, the top seems to squeak when it's down. Pretty consistently but does require some movement/vibration from the road. Doesn't have to be a big bump. But it definitely squeaks and only with the top down. Sounds like it's coming from drivers side, somewhere in the trunk. With the top up I get no squeak but sometimes a rattle, again on the drivers side.

The dealer said they could work on the window and the vent but told me that the top was just going to be that way. Given that it went 4 months with no issues and then suddenly squeaking, I don't agree that it's normal.

I'd appreciate thoughts from more experienced owners.
TripleBlack20112SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Justification

Drives: Red 2SS/RS Convertible
With the top up take a look at the rubber "donut" that goes from the back of the top against the front side of the trunk.
That donut should be tight forming a seal. If it isn't your fifth bow has bent and is causing that squeaking noise.
WHile at the dealer have your dealer look to see if your VIN is in the list for the Customer Satisfaction Recall bulletin #12052 Given that it is a 2011 my bet is it's in the program
Welcome aboard.
Justification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:03 AM   #3
RamGrad

Drives: '11 2LT/RS Vert, '68 Chevy C10
I have two of your issues as well. I read somewhere that the top squeak is one of the arms on the actual top frame that just needs to be tightened. I havent had a chance to take mine to the dealer to get looked at. I have not heard of the 5th bow causing a squeak. I just thougt it was all good 'til she broke.
My rear windows were both "grinding" going up and down, and they needed new regulators. A few other verts here needed them as well. Mine did it from day one. However, when I got mine replaced in January there was a nation wide backorder so it was a crapshoot when the dealer would actually get one. Hopefully now you should be able to get one pretty quick.

Other than that, WELCOME to the loony bin that is Camaro5!!
RamGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
TripleBlack20112SS

Drives: 2011 Triple Black 2SS Convertible
Thanks guys. I'll check out the VIN deal and also look for the doughnut. My gut was that something in the top needed tightening but the dealer pulled out a mechanic who basically told me it was expected behavior. I'd love to have them go out on the sales floor and tell everyone that.
TripleBlack20112SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
COLD_Cam

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS Convertible
Both my rear windows started to make grinding noise. I have 200km on my new top (total replacement done in nov 2011, after 2 cloth portion replacement).

Is it bow or window regulator related? Do you know if there is a TSB related to that, and if Yes, what is the number?

Thank's
COLD_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Louder pipes will correct the top squeaks.