Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Apex catch can installed on 2014 LFX

Just installed an Apex Motorsports catch can on my new 2014 1LT car. Made my own mounting bracket, similar to the previous one I made for the RX can that I let go with my 2013 2LS...

I think it's a pretty clean looking install, can, and lines are mostly hidden when the cover is installed. Took about an hour to install including wandering around my garage searching for random tools.

Pics below.
Attached Images

Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Very cool.

Had no idea you sold your 13 LS for a 14 LT. Nice. Feel any quicker? Did you move your mods over to it?
Old 01-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Very cool.

Had no idea you sold your 13 LS for a 14 LT. Nice. Feel any quicker? Did you move your mods over to it?
I did it yesterday, I got tired of trying to develop parts for a car that I couldn't dyno myself, know what I mean? The only mod I swapped onto the 14 was the ported TB. The salesman followed me home with the 13 and helped me pull all the mods of of it, wheels, ported intake, intake spacer, put the stock auto shift indicator thing back in... It was actually a pretty cool car deal for once.

It does feel quicker, I'm attributing most of it to the 3.27 gears... Seems way more fun than the 2LS.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Congrats on the new car! That 2LS was really a drag for what you want to do.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Nice bracket! I forgot you ordered one but I am glad to see it installed. The bracket we will be using for the V6 has the same "goose neck" except it comes from the other direction.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:22 AM   #6
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Very cool.

Yep, the car is what got me too on this post, stock air box, etc. Congrats on the upgrade! Catch can looks good.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
jaf2424

Drives: 2012 Arctic White Camaro 1LS
i hear some catch cans can be mounted using the engine cover pin that the cover pops onto, did you use this for your bracket?
jaf2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Nice bracket! I forgot you ordered one but I am glad to see it installed. The bracket we will be using for the V6 has the same "goose neck" except it comes from the other direction.
I took advantage of the scratch & dent sale you mentioned quite some time ago, knowing I was going to make my own bracket anyway, so no need to wait for yours... I was going to install it on the 13, but was dragging my feet.

BTW I really couldn't see any flaws in the can I received from the scratch & dent sale... Maybe I got lucky? Or maybe you're just really picky, but that just means the end user gets a quality product so that's good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf2424 View Post
i hear some catch cans can be mounted using the engine cover pin that the cover pops onto, did you use this for your bracket?
No I did not. I used the the a bolt that screws into the front of the head. You can see it better here in the bracket I made for the RX can on my old 2013... Same basic idea, I just modified the bracket to fit the Apex can.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I took advantage of the scratch & dent sale you mentioned quite some time ago, knowing I was going to make my own bracket anyway, so no need to wait for yours... I was going to install it on the 13, but was dragging my feet.

BTW I really couldn't see any flaws in the can I received from the scratch & dent sale... Maybe I got lucky? Or maybe you're just really picky, but that just means the end user gets a quality product so that's good
We are very picky about what we put our name on.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
BlackoutLFX

Drives: 2012, Black 2LS
Just placed my order with apex for a catch can... How often should I dump it? At oil change, or more often?
BlackoutLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
Just placed my order with apex for a catch can... How often should I dump it? At oil change, or more often?
At each oil change should be fine... I just opened mine today for kicks... Couple of drops on oil in the bottom after 100 miles since the install :P

Did you talk to Chase about when the v6 mounting bracket would be ready? It's not currently listed on their website, only v8. Just making sure you know what you're getting, as I made my own bracket to mount mine and didn't use the v8 mounting bracket.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #12
BlackoutLFX

I wasn't aware the bracket was not ready, however, I was thinking that I might have to mount my catch can in a slightly different location due to the N2O solenoid and gas line...I dunno, it has been a while since I have looked. I will look later today. If that is the case, I will need a different bracket and mounting location.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #13
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutLFX View Post
I wasn't aware the bracket was not ready, however, I was thinking that I might have to mount my catch can in a slightly different location due to the N2O solenoid and gas line...I dunno, it has been a while since I have looked. I will look later today. If that is the case, I will need a different bracket and mounting location.
The Apex V6 brackets are not ready but you didn't order an Apex catch can. What you ordered will have a V6 bracket. If you do have some interference issues with your set up there are several other bracket options.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #14
BlackoutLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The Apex V6 brackets are not ready but you didn't order an Apex catch can. What you ordered will have a V6 bracket. If you do have some interference issues with your set up there are several other bracket options.
ok, yea i ordered the elite catch can. I guess i'll know when it shows up.