Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
TheArchitect52

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
Suggestions on what to add to my 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS (Semi-Auto)

Hello, Everyone my name is Erik I've recently decided to start building my 2014 Camaro 1SS. The problem is I don't know where to start. I already ordered a CAI from Cold Air Inductions, and I'm in the process of ordering a 95mm Throttle Body from BBK, I know these are small mods and I realize they may not make a very big difference, so I figured I'd ask you guys what suggestions you might have to increase horsepower and just make my Camaro faster. Please keep in mind I'm new to all this and my knowledge of cars is slowly building.
TheArchitect52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #2
ilir14

Drives: Camaro ss 1le
CAI,headers, exhaust thats where i would start and then you go from there
ilir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
TheArchitect52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilir14 View Post
CAI,headers, exhaust thats where i would start and then you go from there
I forgot to mention i also had the exhaust done, i use to have a Magnaflow exhaust but removed it because the mufflers were too much weight. I now have a X pipe with Straight Pipes and black chrome tips.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #4
LOBBS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Long tube headers, exhaust, cold air, ported throttle body and/or throttle controller are the basic starting points.
LOBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
TheArchitect52

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBBS View Post
Long tube headers, exhaust, cold air, ported throttle body and/or throttle controller are the basic starting points.
Im assuming ill have to tune my car, if i was to buy the long tube headers? and which headers are best? I have looked into a the Kooks Headers but I'm still undeceive.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #6
Enduring

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6
Kooks are very high quality headers but come with the price tag to match. Any American made headers (ARH, Kooks, Stainless Works) will also be of very high quality.

A tune is required to remove the CEL that will inevitably show up with the rear O2 sensors and to prevent the car from running rich.
Enduring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
aFe POWER

Drives: Camaro
PFADT racing headers
aFe POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
First I would not get a BBK, look at my mods, I was tuned at wongs performance engineering in Vancouver and recommend him...... and like my stainless power headers, and CAI with relocate and scoop, and with headers your car will be very loud without the mufflers.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #9
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I would implore you to take a somewhat unique approach to your car. I used to live in San Lorenzo and I know the surrounding area of San Leandro and Hayward has a large concentration of performance cars. You will literally be no different than the guy next to you 9/10 times if you follow the cookie cutter approach.

Making your car faster is all relative. First and foremost, hone your driving skills. Some people take offense to that but you really shouldn't. The better you know your car, the better you can harness its innate abilities. Freeing up horsepower should really come later in the game. Once you do that, get some suspension mods to allow you to hook better (assuming straight line performance is what you're after). Once you've freed up enough horsepower to completely overpower your stock tires, even with upgraded suspension, work on your tires, next.

The vast majority of the people will short cut their results by trying to free up horsepower without being able to properly utilize it and wonder why their results aren't that great. I keep using the term freeing horsepower because really, you're not adding anything to it - that's what power adders are for; superchargers, turbochargers and nitrous.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:25 AM   #10
TheArchitect52

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I would implore you to take a somewhat unique approach to your car. I used to live in San Lorenzo and I know the surrounding area of San Leandro and Hayward has a large concentration of performance cars. You will literally be no different than the guy next to you 9/10 times if you follow the cookie cutter approach.

Making your car faster is all relative. First and foremost, hone your driving skills. Some people take offense to that but you really shouldn't. The better you know your car, the better you can harness its innate abilities. Freeing up horsepower should really come later in the game. Once you do that, get some suspension mods to allow you to hook better (assuming straight line performance is what you're after). Once you've freed up enough horsepower to completely overpower your stock tires, even with upgraded suspension, work on your tires, next.

The vast majority of the people will short cut their results by trying to free up horsepower without being able to properly utilize it and wonder why their results aren't that great. I keep using the term freeing horsepower because really, you're not adding anything to it - that's what power adders are for; superchargers, turbochargers and nitrous.
I never thought of it your way but I'm glad you've shared this with me. Your right in San Lorenzo its all about horsepower and torque, everyone just slaps on a pair of tires and burns out and simply goes. This talk about going suspension and getting more familiar with my car seems like a great way to begin my build. Thing is i don't know jack about suspension like i said I'm new to all this, but ill ask around on the fourm. Ive seen a lot of Pro-Touring cars with amazing suspensions and it just seems like ill never be able to reach that level, but i guess i have to start somewhere. Thanks for the advice definitely appreciate it.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:41 AM   #11
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Yeah, no problem at all. I remember how intense things can get out there. Take a gander at anti wheel hop kits or wheel hop eliminator kits, or whatever the Camaro world calls them. I am still assuming that you're only interested in straight line performance, you haven't indicated otherwise as of yet. Don't get lowering springs designed to help you corner better because you'll lose that precious weight transfer to the rear tires if you're trying to launch. Some wheel hop kits graduate directly into drag kits, complete with sway bars, shocks, struts and bushings.

Oh and I'm sure someone will chime in and tell you to get the Vitesse Throttle Controller. It's supposedly the best thing ever for our cars. Something to look into...
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #12
TheArchitect52

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Yeah, no problem at all. I remember how intense things can get out there. Take a gander at anti wheel hop kits or wheel hop eliminator kits, or whatever the Camaro world calls them. I am still assuming that you're only interested in straight line performance, you haven't indicated otherwise as of yet. Don't get lowering springs designed to help you corner better because you'll lose that precious weight transfer to the rear tires if you're trying to launch. Some wheel hop kits graduate directly into drag kits, complete with sway bars, shocks, struts and bushings.

Oh and I'm sure someone will chime in and tell you to get the Vitesse Throttle Controller. It's supposedly the best thing ever for our cars. Something to look into...
Awesome, will do & yea i am interested in straight line performance, i don't really see myself on a track racing and making sharp turns. I'm going to look into the anti wheel hop kits and the wheel hop eliminator kits. Also what is a Vitesse Throttle Controller? Whats the purpose for this? and if you have any suggestions on how to improve reaction time that'd be great. I recently raced a 2015 Mustang 5.0 and the launch/reaction time was dreadful for me. i didn't know what it is i did wrong but it sure wasn't the correct way to go about my first race.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Get your TB ported by Bo White and install the race scoop on your CAI . This is the way to go . If you don't mind not having a warrantee get long tubes and a tune for more power. A good tune, long tubes, CAI with race scoop, and Bo White ported TB is good for a solid 30 to 40 RWHP, and it will sound and run way better than stock .
Old 04-11-2015, 02:41 PM   #14
Scooter18155

Drives: 2010 ss/rs 6 speed manual
The vitesse throttle controller will help reaction times. So will a ported throttle body I would recommend one ported by Bo white I got one for my car and it deffinately helped car a lot. The race scoop is a great idea as well for adding power not sure how it will impact reaction time though.
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1ss, 2014, camaro, ls3