Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #43
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Automatics are for Mustangs I know I'm gonna get hell for that comment
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #44
MaddogZ28

Drives: 2002 Camaro Z28, 2011 SS/RS
To me, manuals are a lot more fun to drive and give you a better connection with the car.
MaddogZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #45
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist

Drives: '10 RY 2LT Camaro '96 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Just way more fun. I feel like I'm really driving the car. My wife feels exactly the same way. No way we would've bought an Auto. Not including the $1800 upgrade and loss of HP from the L99 but also the loss of power through the drivetrain.

Can't tell you how many times I've walked up to many great looking cars and say "man that's a nice car" to look inside, see it's an auto, and say "too bad it's an automatic".
Absolutely. Especially at car shows. I see a wicked trans am with a high cowl, hoosiers out back, slick red, and i cup my hand around my face as I peer into the car, and I see an automatic. I literally lose all interest in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDragonVT View Post
Just my two cents here, but I think the reason you guys, "keep getting bashed," is because the manual guys start the fight. Go read through that thread again. You won't see anyone talking crap about the manual. You will see statements of personal preferences for why people chose the auto. Then you will see the manual guys jumping in with, "Only wimps drive autos," "A 6.2L V8 Auto is a sin," "Real men drive stick," and similar comments. The attitude always seems to be that Person A is somehow better than Person B, because Person A drives a manual, and Person B drives an auto.

It is almost the same issue as the V8 vs. V6 discussions. Some of the V8 folks around here seem to look down on the V6ers. At the end of the day, the reason I would never have bought a manual is the same reason I didn't even consider the V6: I wouldn't have been completely happy with my car. It wouldn't have been the vehicle I wanted.

Now, the $1200.00 difference in price? I'll give you that one. In my opinion, that is some serious , but oh well, it's what I wanted, so I payed it.
I understand what you mean but I just don't think that the 3 or 4 people being jerks warrants everyone to come out of the woodwork and bash us. I mean, we're mechanically driving the car, operating it. Not sitting at autopilot. Thats why we get defensive. Because it IS better, in every. single. way. possible.

You get an LSD, better mileage, more efficient at power transfer from flywheel to tires, it's faster, AND it's less money. Why in the world would anyone get an automatic unless they have a health issue or some other limiting factor?

Now, to clear up... I think all Camaros are bad frickin a$$ and I would never hate on someone for owning an automatic. I just would never pay for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotIce View Post
Because I want to change gears, when I want to.
Short, concise, and absolutely true. I HATED it when my car would shift as Im starting to push the pedal down a bit, thinking it would stay in the current gear. Then it takes 2 seconds for the computer to go "oh, you wanna go faster? ok, Ill downshift now." F that noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
People with manuals, don't get asked why did you get a manual.
Why? because people know it's the better option. The aggressive auto owners are just jealous and sad that they dont know how to drive one. If you just don't like the idea of shifting... [some don't. some people look at a car as transportation... and in a Camaro, what sweet sweet transportation it is! ] thats totally fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
Btw I'm glad this thread was started. I see those auto guys were getting all worked up over words.
Seriously!
Team LLT-M6
BlkThndr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 AM   #46
Trevorw24
Black Ma6ic

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by enyce0387 View Post
Since us M6 guys keep getting bashed for our responses on the automatic thread i figured we should start our own. My top three reasons for buying a manual...

1. So your saying i have to pay an extra $1,185 for GM to take away 26 horsepower?

2. I don't know if Im alone on this one buy whenever i drive an automatic i feel like i don't pay as much attention to the road. When i drive my M6 i have to be ready to change gears, rev match, downshift, and then i jump into an automatic car and it does everything for me its like i don't have to pay attention anymore like the cars on autopilot.

3. Correct me if Im wrong but on the auto cars when you pull the shifter all the way down i believe the car goes into M which would be manual mode. If and automatic was the way to go why would it need manual mode? i don't see any Stick shift cars with a D mode where the transmission shifts itself(not talking Smg's cars with an actual clutch pedal...)

I don't mean to come off like a jerk or offend anybody, obviously everyone is going to pick which they prefer regardless, but there's just something about driving a manual transmission that us manual guys understand, and from what i read in all the car magazines were the last of a dying breed....
Agreed. I bought my Camaro with a manual tranny because the thought of a sports car in an automatic makes me cringe. In fact everytime I see a Camaro in auto I feel sick. I have driven stick since I was 16, and will continue to until I die. It's the only way to go.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #47
Muck_Fustangs

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Muck_Fustangs
cuz it rocks...
Old 04-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #48
KowalskiCamaro

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 1SS & 2011 Durango
So my wife won't drive it.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #49
Carter

Drives: 2008 Lancer & 2003 Tahoe Z71
So when you lose a race you have something to blame it on.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #50
Steve RS/SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
It's the fun factor!! Nothing like going through the gears...The added bonus is no one else can drive it.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #51
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
Autos are great when you need to go slow consistently. Like when doing trails or rock crawling, I would not like to think of how many clutches you'd burn up. My daily is a manual, and the Camaro is a manual as well.

I went with a manual because it allows me to express my personality when I drive. Some days I like slamming through the gears...some days I shift gently and cruise about...it's nice to have the freedom and control.

There is also nothing quite like hitting the right gear going into a corner and being able to just push the boundaries of traction all the way through it and launching out.
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #52
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
it's how we roll at our house..... 3 stick shifts in the garage.

If any of us break an ankle, we'll have to rent
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #53
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
I just can't see owning a sports/pony/muscle car without a manual.

It's more fun, I don't mind it in the traffic.

Seattle has traffic? rofl! Long Island has traffic. Way too much: driving a stick in this traffic leads to road rage and popped arteries.
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #54
spoone123
Next is SS camaro.....

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS, Rally yellow
I wish i had M6, but when i was in Washinton DC and miami. Boy i'm glad i have Automatic.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #55
Allan Hernandez

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT/GrayHStripe
Send a message via Yahoo to Allan Hernandez
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDragonVT View Post
Just my two cents here, but I think the reason you guys, "keep getting bashed," is because the manual guys start the fight. Go read through that thread again. You won't see anyone talking crap about the manual. You will see statements of personal preferences for why people chose the auto. Then you will see the manual guys jumping in with, "Only wimps drive autos," "A 6.2L V8 Auto is a sin," "Real men drive stick," and similar comments. The attitude always seems to be that Person A is somehow better than Person B, because Person A drives a manual, and Person B drives an auto.

It is almost the same issue as the V8 vs. V6 discussions. Some of the V8 folks around here seem to look down on the V6ers. At the end of the day, the reason I would never have bought a manual is the same reason I didn't even consider the V6: I wouldn't have been completely happy with my car. It wouldn't have been the vehicle I wanted.

Now, the $1200.00 difference in price? I'll give you that one. In my opinion, that is some serious , but oh well, it's what I wanted, so I payed it.
Thats true no one was talkin Sh** about the manual and its true people on this forums who drive v8s think there so much superior to the v6ers
Allan Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #56
happycamper

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6 AGM
Because I prefer manual trannys, and I wanted the limited-slip differential.